PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Intercepted someone's phone call? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148935)

nyczwillz 02-01-2012 12:46 AM

Intercepted someone's phone call?

Was on the phone with my friend and both of us seemed to have intercepted another person's call for a few seconds.

She heard ringing and someone speaking another language, and while I heard someone else just saying 'hello hello'.

It was creepy, is this normal? We have Sprint and T-Mobile. This stuff makes you feel anyone can tap into your phone calls.

fixxxer2012 02-01-2012 08:18 PM

Re: Intercepted someone's phone call?

i wouldn't worry much as it sounds like the towers are overloaded and this kind of thing can happen. BUT if it does it again id advise sprint.

gTen 02-01-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyczwillz (Post 2166681)
Was on the phone with my friend and both of us seemed to have intercepted another person's call for a few seconds.

She heard ringing and someone speaking another language, and while I heard someone else just saying 'hello hello'.

It was creepy, is this normal? We have Sprint and T-Mobile. This stuff makes you feel anyone can tap into your phone calls.

It must have been a routing issue between the carriers. It can happen. So you know its not like your picking up someone else's wireless signal as data is transmitted is encrypted.

But yes, the carriers can spy on your phone calls whenever if need be.

eric12341 02-02-2012 12:06 AM

As long as one isn't talking to 12 year old girls, planning to bomb something or do something else illegal, there's no worries that the phone is tapped.

horndoctor 02-02-2012 02:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

This is possible with any GSM network like T-Mobile because signals are digital but not encrypted. This is one advantage CDMA has. If you have a CDMA user talking to another CDMA user then if there was any interference you might hear noises but not anything recognizable because everything is encrypted. Of course all bets are off if you have a CDMA phone and you're connected to someone on a GSM carrier or a landline.

fixxxer2012 02-02-2012 05:49 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; ThunderShed-v1.2_CM7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I still think its from an overloaded tower.

gTen 02-02-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horndoctor (Post 2166899)
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

This is possible with any GSM network like T-Mobile because signals are digital but not encrypted. This is one advantage CDMA has. If you have a CDMA user talking to another CDMA user then if there was any interference you might hear noises but not anything recognizable because everything is encrypted. Of course all bets are off if you have a CDMA phone and you're connected to someone on a GSM carrier or a landline.

This was the case long ago, I had that happen on my really really old T-Mobile. Everything from getting other people's phone calls to having my phone calls being picked up by my portable radio lol

But this day in age, even GSM signals are encrypted. The US versions of GSM is a weak encryption you can break even with consumer hardware but its encrypted regardless.

eric12341 02-04-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2166956)
This was the case long ago, I had that happen on my really really old T-Mobile. Everything from getting other people's phone calls to having my phone calls being picked up by my portable radio lol

But this day in age, even GSM signals are encrypted. The US versions of GSM is a weak encryption you can break even with consumer hardware but its encrypted regardless.

@gTen how did that happen? Radio dials don't even go up to the lowest cellular frequency