PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Recommend a Sprint phone for wife (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138765)

Amamba 12-23-2010 11:59 AM

Recommend a Sprint phone for wife

Hi,

We have a data familiy plan but just one smartphone. My wife's eligible for an upgrade in February and I need help getting her a phone.

She wants to be able to browse the internet, send text messages, use GPS. She doesn't care for games, and I don't think she would have any patience for software related issues like SOD. So, even as I am toying with a possibility of giving her my Touch Pro 2, and getting something latest & greatest for myself, this is probably a wrong choice - she won't use 80% of what it's great for, and she won't like having to soft reset even a couple times a week.

So, is there a Sprint phone that has a decent size screen, useable querty k/b (hard or soft), decent battery life, and no major issues ?

boredandtattooed 12-23-2010 12:25 PM

Re: Recommend a Sprint phone for wife

if it were today, Id say get here an Optimus S... you can find them free, and it has android 2.2(getting 2.3)... and best of all, it wont break your wallet... my gf has never had a smartphone and LOOVES the Optimus...

in February, who knows... CES first week of Jan, and it looks like CDMA carriers are set to show off some WP7 devices(rumor)... so by Feb - the EVO Shift(smaller evo with slide out KB) and others will be available(possibly)

AZTECHKA 12-23-2010 01:18 PM

My wife was really considering the new Blackberry style. It looks like a solid little phone. The only thing I've heard is that the web browsing experience is not at the same level as an android's. However. It's fun, compact, easy to use, reliable, it has a decent camera with a flash, a headphone jack, comes with an 8gb card, has pandora and slacker and iheartradio apps available for it. Hell. I almost sold myself. lol.
She's changed her mind however and is waiting to see what comes out in the next couple of months. But she is also considering a WP7 phone. She had my old TP and has recently been upgraded by the warranty to a TP2. So a 7pro might not be a bad transition for her. Especially if it has WP7.5 built in.
p.

kevmo1965 01-04-2011 07:10 PM

Go Android.

AZTECHKA 01-04-2011 07:20 PM

That EVO Shift looks like a great option.
p.

OMJ 01-07-2011 03:25 PM

my wife had the TP2 & hated it....always complaining.....I tried pushing Android, either the EVO shift or Intercept, but ended up getting the Blackberry Style....she loves it!

fixxxer2012 01-09-2011 05:17 PM

id give her either a blackberry "my wife loves hers" or a lg optimus S. ive heard great things about it and it's a budget android phone.

tx_dbs_tx 01-15-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2018794)
if it were today, Id say get here an Optimus S... you can find them free, and it has android 2.2(getting 2.3)... and best of all, it wont break your wallet... my gf has never had a smartphone and LOOVES the Optimus...

in February, who knows... CES first week of Jan, and it looks like CDMA carriers are set to show off some WP7 devices(rumor)... so by Feb - the EVO Shift(smaller evo with slide out KB) and others will be available(possibly)

I share the same opinions as boredand tattooed. But I personally would hold off on upgrading for a few weeks until the new phones are available. Like the EVO shift, Windows Phone 7, etc. Plus by then, the HTC EVO and the Samsung Epic should drop in price. So waiting to upgrade is your best option right now.

I wouldn't give your wife the Touch Pro 2 because like you said it's more a pain in the ass for people who don't need all it's features. Plus it's not the most user friendly phone for most people. Sell it on Craigslist to recover some of the $ of your new phone purchase.

It's the beginning of a new year for the wireless industry and the new devices will be out very soon. At least some will. But don't bother trying to stay on top of the latest and greatest phones because that's a never-ending battle. Just pick a nice phone and enjoy it.

*Phones with Android 2.2 and higher have the ABSOLUTE BEST mobile web browsing experience over Blackberry and old windows mobile. (my wife is totally hooked on her HTC EVO and it's AWESOME web browser!) Our laptops collect dust now. Android has a slightly longer learning curve but very user friendly and not complicated to use at all. Far more features than BlackBerries.
*BlackBerry phones are very easy to learn and use but are more limited in features compared to Android phones. Blackberry phones are very durable, dependable, and text/email works great and second to none. Although Blackberry phones lack full Adobe Flash support and limited html functionality. Overall great communication devices for people who don't need the best web browsing experience.

Hope this helps. Good luck!