PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Blackberry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Does anyone know how to use the blackberry curve from sprint as a modem (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=111186)

rastarob619 02-17-2010 10:53 PM

Does anyone know how to use the blackberry curve from sprint as a modem

i have a friend who has a blackberry curve and i am wondering if there is a way to get free tethering like i do with my tp2 with a cab file or a regedit if that is possible with the blackberry

basilray 02-18-2010 10:30 AM

Re: Does anyone know how to use the blackberry curve from sprint as a modem

Quote:

Originally Posted by rastarob619 (Post 1573485)
i have a friend who has a blackberry curve and i am wondering if there is a way to get free tethering like i do with my tp2 with a cab file or a regedit if that is possible with the blackberry

I'm not 100% positive, but I think you need to get an app like Tetherberry to do it w/o having to pay for PAM. Last time I looked, Tetherberry was like $50 for the app.

I'm sure someone will chime in w/ a better answer though...

eenieMINI 02-19-2010 08:59 PM

You are correct you need an app $ app tether works great but is pricey. Watch for sales.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

spiritcrusher33 03-01-2010 06:54 PM

nah if u have a regular bb curve..8330 that is.. all u need is sprint connection manager..and bb desktop installed.. no pam needed.. i used this for a bit. even though it was just rev 0 speeds..

sprintgirl 03-07-2010 01:06 AM

Step 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the laptop or personal computer.
When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Step 2

Set up Internet APN.
1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.
6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following: +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
(remove<>when typing in ur APN)
Example; +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.cingular"
Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

ATT/Cingular Settings
APN: wap.cingular
user name for APN: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
This is how I found my settings on my BB Curve - Options>Advanced Options>TCP. The APN will say, for example, wap.cingular

Step 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating system you are using.
Windows XP Operating System
1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
3. Click Next.
4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
12. Click Finish.
13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
16. In the Properties window, click OK.

Windows 2000 Operating System
1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
4. Click Next.
5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
12. In the Properties window, click OK.

Step 4

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection.
Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

Step 5
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Connect the BlackBerry device to the laptop computer.
1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
3. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. (this should be saved there already)
4. Click Dial.

peteraugusts 03-31-2010 04:54 AM

I think this is very useful information.I will use this when need blackberry curve from sprint as a modem.

sprintgirl 04-05-2010 09:13 PM

no problem :)

thanks button

WarChild 05-15-2010 03:09 PM

Hooking up a friend thanks for the info.

CW

eenieMINI 05-15-2010 05:30 PM

All I can say is with Tether or PDAnet you won't be charged (sprint) but can't say for sure with the dialup method.