PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Noob to android flashing . (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=141533)

elesbb 03-06-2011 06:14 PM

Noob to android flashing .

Need some help flashing android to my phone . Dont know where to start . I was hoping a "how to" sticky would be posted but i havent seen one . any links or direct advice is greatly appreceiated !

Thanks again guys !

cody_cummins 03-06-2011 06:21 PM

Pick which build you want to run, then go into that forum and follow the instructions in the first post

Sent from my FROYO X using Tapatalk

elesbb 03-06-2011 06:26 PM

Re: Noob to android flashing .

whats haret.exe ?

darren.wlsn1 03-06-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065049)
whats haret.exe ?

you may wanna read a little before jumping in, its not a hard process but should still should read.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...an-2011-a.html

stckmojo 03-06-2011 06:33 PM

A little research goes a long way with the android projects.

I had no clue what was going on for a week or so, now it's like a high grade crack addiction that you totally can't stop doing :)

The best writeups I've seen are over at the neopeek forums. A few of the steps don't apply with the xd builds, but everything else will be spot on.

Keep on researching and you'll get it in no time.

elesbb 03-06-2011 06:44 PM

thanks everyone ! ill read up on the link darren posted . thanks for that darren !

darren.wlsn1 03-06-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065059)
thanks everyone ! ill read up on the link darren posted . thanks for that darren !

not a problem, where in pa are ya from?

elesbb 03-06-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2065061)
not a problem, where in pa are ya from?

In between reading and allentown and northwest of philly lol . its a really small town .

But in regards to the link you gave me , its telling me to install a cab .. what cab must i install ????

skreemer7 03-06-2011 08:43 PM

I have been playing around with Android for a few weeks now on my TP2. Still have a few questions that I haven't seen cleared up anywhere.

What is the difference between the different types of updates, i.e, what is different in the new builds such as froyo 04 vs 05, system.ext2 files, and new kernels? Is there a good similar analogy to WM or even a regular OS or something to clear that up?

When all the first posts say to run all the programs on the first boot, what does this exactly do? Does it just create the program's files so they are quicker to open next time? Would it matter for example if I opened half of my programs on the first boot, then rebooted and then opened the other half on the 2nd boot? I ask because there have been a few times when Android would spontaneously reboot on me after opening one or two programs during my first boot. Would it be optimal in this case to delete the data file and start over or just continue opening new programs on the next boot?

Sorry the questions are kind of long, couldn't think of a better way to word them.

arrrghhh 03-06-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skreemer7 (Post 2065108)
I have been playing around with Android for a few weeks now on my TP2. Still have a few questions that I haven't seen cleared up anywhere.

What is the difference between the different types of updates, i.e, what is different in the new builds such as froyo 04 vs 05, system.ext2 files, and new kernels? Is there a good similar analogy to WM or even a regular OS or something to clear that up?

When all the first posts say to run all the programs on the first boot, what does this exactly do? Does it just create the program's files so they are quicker to open next time? Would it matter for example if I opened half of my programs on the first boot, then rebooted and then opened the other half on the 2nd boot? I ask because there have been a few times when Android would spontaneously reboot on me after opening one or two programs during my first boot. Would it be optimal in this case to delete the data file and start over or just continue opening new programs on the next boot?

Sorry the questions are kind of long, couldn't think of a better way to word them.

First, you must mean tiad8's threads when you said "When all the first posts say to run all the programs on the first boot, what does this exactly do?" - I certainly never put that in my post, I have no clue why that would be necessary. You'd have to ask tiad8... I don't think there's any reason to do this.

FRX04 and FRX05 are revisions of the same build - Froyo, 2.2.x...

Anything with tiad8 being the threadstarter is his own beast, and usually a hodgepodge of stuff thrown together. Again, talk to him if you want more "information" about his builds.

For your other question, I'm going to quote mankineko from a post on xda-devs as his answer is very thorough:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mankineko
XDAndroid is a project to port Android onto older HTC phones.

There are two main parts of XDAndroid, which combine to form a complete port:
Kernel/drivers: You can find packages to run Android on old HTC phones from a variety of sources, but whatever package you use, all rely upon the kernels/drivers created by the XDAndroid team to enable the basic hardware.
Android system: The Android system forms all of the parts of the phone's interface that you can directly interact with. Once the kernel/drivers have setup the hardware, you can add on an Android system port of your choice to form a complete build. Many system ports are available, both in terms of different versions (2.1 Eclair, 2.2 Froyo, 2.3 Gingerbread, etc.) and different starting points in the case of ports written by those outside of XDAndroid.
XDAndroid releases an "official" system port you can use, which is directly ported over by the XDAndroid team from the Android Open Source Project, and is very close to stock. Many of the alternative builds you come across are modifications of the XDAndroid system, containing customizations that deviate farther from stock Android, while others have different starting points altogether, and are ports of the ROMs found on official shipping devices that have already been customized (but still use the same basic kernel/drivers found here).

Android is a framework that runs on top of Linux. In order to get Android running on our devices, first we must get Linux running on the hardware with all drivers implemented, and then, we hook Android into these drivers. Thus, broadly viewed, the XDAndroid project is divided into two parts: the kernel/drivers and the Android port.
When you look at the files in your Android directory, you'll probably see something like the following:
zImage: The Linux kernel and drivers.
modules-###: Additional drivers for the kernel. Your system will load without this, but things like wifi may not work, or you may encounter instability.
initrd.gz: Used in the Linux boot process.
system.ext2: Most of the Android framework.
rootfs.img: Additional parts of the Android framework that are customized for our devices.
data.img: This file contains what would be your internal memory on a real Android device. Whenever you install a program it goes in to here. A new empty one will be automatically created if you don't have one.
haret.exe: Reboots you from Windows into XDAndroid.
startup.txt: Commands passed to XDAndroid on bootup that are customized by the user.
ts-calibration: Contains calibration information for the touch screen. If you don't have this file, you will be prompted to calibrate your screen on startup.
AndroidApps: A folder where if you copy any apks into it, they will be automatically installed on bootup.

As always, there's the XDAndroid FAQ!

elesbb 03-06-2011 10:09 PM

well i successfully got android running .. downloaded angry birds , and its EXTREMELY laggy .. any help / advice to why its so slow ? i used this build http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...le-camera.html

arrrghhh 03-06-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065143)
well i successfully got android running .. downloaded angry birds , and its EXTREMELY laggy .. any help / advice to why its so slow ? i used this build http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/tp2-androi...le-camera.html

Our devices don't support OpenGLES2.0

I heard there's some "Angry Birds Lite Beta" floating around. Search for it, I can't stand the game and don't get the fascination with it :p.

Oh and as much as I hate the game, usually best to post complaints about a particular build in that build's thread... no need to threadjack ;).

elesbb 03-06-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Oh and as much as I hate the game, usually best to post complaints about a particular build in that build's thread... no need to threadjack ;).
Hahaha i put it in this thread considering i didnt set something up properly xP

skreemer7 03-07-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2065128)
First, you must mean tiad8's threads when you said "When all the first posts say to run all the programs on the first boot, what does this exactly do?" - I certainly never put that in my post, I have no clue why that would be necessary. You'd have to ask tiad8... I don't think there's any reason to do this.

FRX04 and FRX05 are revisions of the same build - Froyo, 2.2.x...

Anything with tiad8 being the threadstarter is his own beast, and usually a hodgepodge of stuff thrown together. Again, talk to him if you want more "information" about his builds.

For your other question, I'm going to quote mankineko from a post on xda-devs as his answer is very thorough:

As always, there's the XDAndroid FAQ!

Thank you very much for this.

elesbb 03-07-2011 07:46 AM

Alright, got another noob question. Which is the absolute latest build? Like in terms of android versions. Thanks again for putting up with my noob stupidity! :D

Sent from my FROYO X RED using Tapatalk

fishingmedic 03-07-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065283)
Alright, got another noob question. Which is the absolute latest build? Like in terms of android versions. Thanks again for putting up with my noob stupidity! :D

FRX05 is the most updated. Now Tiad has done tweaks to that and created his threads but as Arrrrghhhh pointed out, they are a hodgepodge of different items from multiple different sources, and along with that there are some bugs, i.e. wifi. Although they may be "faster" IMO I've had more lock ups and issues using those. I'm currently on FRX05 with wistilts test kernel and it's screams, at least as good as out TP2 underpowered processors will allow it at this time.

elesbb 03-07-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmedic (Post 2065297)
FRX05 is the most updated. Now Tiad has done tweaks to that and created his threads but as Arrrrghhhh pointed out, they are a hodgepodge of different items from multiple different sources, and along with that there are some bugs, i.e. wifi. Although they may be "faster" IMO I've had more lock ups and issues using those. I'm currently on FRX05 with wistilts test kernel and it's screams, at least as good as out TP2 underpowered processors will allow it at this time.

Can you post links to the things your using? I'm all about speed!!! :D
I'm learning this pretty quickly. As I did with windows mobile.

Does anyone run just android on their phone and doesn't even touch windows?

elesbb 03-07-2011 12:48 PM

Another thing, my cousin has the epic, his has a task manager, do any of the builds for the tp2 have this

fishingmedic 03-07-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065347)
Can you post links to the things your using? I'm all about speed!!! :D
I'm learning this pretty quickly. As I did with windows mobile.

Does anyone run just android on their phone and doesn't even touch windows?

Just go back out to the forum and look for the testing thread started by arrrghhh, he gets updates from Wistilt as wistilt is making changes to the stock kernel to fix issues. If you do use the kernel, please keep in mind it's a testing kernel and as such, it's out for us to use and report issues with it so that wistilt can see what's causing the problems. You may need to add an app and grab the logs of what caused the issue also, so just take a look at the thread and once you've read it, if you still have questions, post away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065348)
Another thing, my cousin has the epic, his has a task manager, do any of the builds for the tp2 have this

There are two thoughts on using a task manager, one is that they're not needed and can cause more problems than they're worth, as they can close out apps that are in the process of updating causing lags, issues, etc. These peeps typically feel that android is very capable of handling it's memory well on it own. There are others who like the task managers to be able to close down whatever apps they want. I've used advanced task manager previously and currently use tasmanager, just go into market and search for task manager and some will come up.

elesbb 03-08-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmedic (Post 2065359)
Just go back out to the forum and look for the testing thread started by arrrghhh, he gets updates from Wistilt as wistilt is making changes to the stock kernel to fix issues. If you do use the kernel, please keep in mind it's a testing kernel and as such, it's out for us to use and report issues with it so that wistilt can see what's causing the problems. You may need to add an app and grab the logs of what caused the issue also, so just take a look at the thread and once you've read it, if you still have questions, post away.

There are two thoughts on using a task manager, one is that they're not needed and can cause more problems than they're worth, as they can close out apps that are in the process of updating causing lags, issues, etc. These peeps typically feel that android is very capable of handling it's memory well on it own. There are others who like the task managers to be able to close down whatever apps they want. I've used advanced task manager previously and currently use tasmanager, just go into market and search for task manager and some will come up.

Yep thanks so much , got a sweet app to kill the running programs . i am wondering how i overclock now . i found this acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=716800 but when i run haret.exe it says its an invalid or unrecognized command . what am i doing wrong ?

skreemer7 03-08-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065714)
Yep thanks so much , got a sweet app to kill the running programs . i am wondering how i overclock now . i found this acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=716800 but when i run haret.exe it says its an invalid or unrecognized command . what am i doing wrong ?

Make sure you put that string in the cmd line of the txt file before the last string. You can't just put it on the top line.

elesbb 03-08-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

startup.txt (SAMPLE) ..and/or.. default.txt (contents below)
set ramsize 0x10000000
set ramaddr 0x10000000
set mtype 2292
set KERNEL zImage
set initrd initrd.gz
set cmdline "lcd.density=240 msmts_calib=0x9f.0x39a.0x35c.0x78 7x00.a11=500 msmvkeyb_toggle=off pmem.extra=1 gsensor_axis=2,1,3 pm.sleep_mode=2 rel_path=andboot hw3d.force=1 htc_battery_smem.fake=0 htc_hw.force_cdma=1 physkeyboard=rhod400 "
Boot
* Overclocking = “acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=716800” put in between the “” above with spaces before & after.
* Build 2&3 above puts all files in root of SD, if you want move everything to \andboot & put the line above in your startup.txt: rel_path=andboot
* Google Voice to dial out, you have to modify your startup.txt set cmdline to include the following: north_am_dialing=1 ~thanks manekineko
I found it here ! lol

fishingmedic 03-08-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065726)
I found it here ! lol

This is how I add it to mine, keep in mind this is only the last couple of things in that entire text area

rel_path=andboot.frx05 pm.sleep_mode=1 acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=786432 physkeyboard=rhod400"

elesbb 03-08-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingmedic (Post 2065729)
This is how I add it to mine, keep in mind this is only the last couple of things in that entire text area

rel_path=andboot.frx05 pm.sleep_mode=1 acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=786432 physkeyboard=rhod400"

were you successful at 786 ??? thats high !

fishingmedic 03-08-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065738)

Define successful lol. I don't currently use that OC'ing speed, I did on earlier builds and used to get lockups often enough to decrease it, but it did run just with a lot of FC's. I currently OC with 716 or 748, but 716 seems to run the best for me with the least issues. Haven't tried 748 since jumping on Arrrghhh's FRX05 package but the 716 works great.

elesbb 03-08-2011 05:22 PM

how come gingerbread doesnt have live wallpapers ? or must i install the launcher pro app ?

elesbb 03-08-2011 09:59 PM

i need help connecting my phone to my laptop using android

arrrghhh 03-08-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065965)
i need help connecting my phone to my laptop using android

I already answered this question, but adb is your answer. USB mass storage doesn't work with Android. Search before you post (multiple times).

elesbb 03-08-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2065984)
I already answered this question, but adb is your answer. USB mass storage doesn't work with Android. Search before you post (multiple times).

Ugh I'm sorry :'( I found it then.

Sent from my MSM using Tapatalk

AkumaX 03-09-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2065738)

he's technically @ 768mhz (its 786432hz / 1024hz = 768mhz), which is roughly around as high as most WinMo o/cs

personally i go around @ 732mhz (749568) :P

slipdoozy 03-09-2011 05:21 AM

high guys i run mine in the "pm.sleep_mode=1 acpuclock.oc_freq_khz=787200 physkeyboard=rhod400" havent noticed any problems with lockups. but then again i only use it for some of the games... favorite so far is Humans vs Aliens.

NipTuck170 03-09-2011 05:07 PM

Hey guys. I tried android on my phone when it first came out, running it off the sd card after windows started up with haret.exe. I see a sticky for nand booting now. It seems like id basically be flashing an android rom. Is this true? No more windows? And if this is true, will android be running a lot faster than running it off the sd card? Is it worth it? Sorry for all the questions. Ive been reading thorugh the forum but havent really found a direct answer to my questions. I really want to use android for a while before I switch from windows mobile. I want to make sure i know the ins and outs of it, like i know windows mobile. I want a new phone, but i don't want the arrive since it comes with windows 7, but i need a keyboard, so I'm thinking of the epic.

arrrghhh 03-09-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NipTuck170 (Post 2066367)
Hey guys. I tried android on my phone when it first came out, running it off the sd card after windows started up with haret.exe. I see a sticky for nand booting now. It seems like id basically be flashing an android rom. Is this true? No more windows? And if this is true, will android be running a lot faster than running it off the sd card? Is it worth it? Sorry for all the questions. Ive been reading thorugh the forum but havent really found a direct answer to my questions. I really want to use android for a while before I switch from windows mobile. I want to make sure i know the ins and outs of it, like i know windows mobile. I want a new phone, but i don't want the arrive since it comes with windows 7, but i need a keyboard, so I'm thinking of the epic.

Don't bother flashing yet, it's not ready for primetime.

If it was at the same level as haret booting, I'd say go for it - but we're not anywhere NEAR that close.

It's not going to be any faster - maybe slightly, but only slightly.

NipTuck170 03-09-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2066368)
Don't bother flashing yet, it's not ready for primetime.

If it was at the same level as haret booting, I'd say go for it - but we're not anywhere NEAR that close.

It's not going to be any faster - maybe slightly, but only slightly.

Thanks. I'll try the newest haret build, see how it is.

elesbb 03-09-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NipTuck170 (Post 2066372)
Thanks. I'll try the newest haret build, see how it is.

what is the latest haret build anywho ?? i love the username btw . i miss that show . wish it were still on !

ndno 03-09-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elesbb (Post 2066454)
what is the latest haret build anywho ?? i love the username btw . i miss that show . wish it were still on !

There is no "haret" build. He's referring to the different Android builds that uses haret.exe to boot from WinMo. Any of tiad8's or FRX05 builds uses haret.exe to boot. You sure seem to be everywhere on this board, not that it's a bad thing but you should read the FAQ to get familiar with Android, search the forum for questions you may ask to see if they've been answered already and if not, post your questions in existing similar threads instead of starting new ones.

elesbb 03-09-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndno (Post 2066464)
There is no "haret" build. He's referring to the different Android builds that uses haret.exe to boot from WinMo. Any of tiad8's or FRX05 builds uses haret.exe to boot. You sure seem to be everywhere on this board, not that it's a bad thing but you should read the FAQ to get familiar with Android, search the forum for questions you may ask to see if they've been answered already and if not, post your questions in existing similar threads instead of starting new ones.

alright .. sorry . but when i search .. i get even more confused .. because i read SO much that i cant make any sense of it .. for stuff like this i like getting straight forward answers from you VIP guys .. ill be more coherent in my searches . i apologize .

Counterfeit 03-11-2011 10:01 AM

They're stickied. Shouldn't take much research.

" NAND Boot Testing - 03-08: Full NAND FRX05 Testing (Data not working for some) "
Obviously it's TESTING, therefore not quite ready for primetiem (as arrrghhh said).

[BUILD] **Complete Froyo Bundle!!** FRX05 - "Stable" - Camera!

Froyo, with a quick search on Google, is Android 2.2. The "Stable" part is what you want to look at. This is the latest stable build, therefore that's why it is stickied and named "Stable." Read the first page and usually the last two pages for information on problems and workarounds, whatever.