PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Workarounds/known issues 7/22: Updated for FRX07 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132515)

manekineko 08-28-2010 03:03 PM

Workarounds/known issues 7/22: Updated for FRX07

In order to cut down on the amount of repeated posts and questions that clog up the forum, the following is a list of the known issues, along with workarounds if present.

Except where indicated otherwise, these issues should affect all builds as these problems are caused by drivers that just haven't been written yet in the kernel (the kernel and drivers are used universally by all builds).
  • Notification LED doesn't notify, but just outputs whether your phone is in sleep (green) or active (orange). If your phone's LED is not turning green while the screen is off, you will get very bad battery life.
  • Light sensor and auto-backlight are completely erratic and essentially non-functional.
  • Proximity sensor is completely not working.
  • Wifi will not connect to WEP, only WPA or unencrypted. Stock Android will not connect to any ad-hoc access points, but a workaround is available. A program called WiFi ACE will let you connect to WEP networks. Furthermore, once turned on, Wifi will never actually turn off again until reboot, so will provide a constant small power drain. It will show as turned off, but power off code is not actually present in kernel.
  • Bluetooth is working except for audio, but there are experimental patches that enable audio.
  • 3.5mm headset jack on CDMA Touch Pro 2's works for listening but has no support for microphone or call/end button.
  • extUSB headset jack works but will often slow the phone down to a crawl, requiring a reboot, on disconnect.
  • Location mostly working in FRX, but there are a number of issues. GPS works but phone will not sleep while satellite location is enabled, draining the battery. Satellite information should first be downloaded in Windows Mobile via QuickGPS or else a GPS fix will take forever. Google Navigation has a high chance of rebooting the whole phone after using it for a while. Everything location is not working in GRX.
  • Battery level reading is pretty inaccurate, best around 50% and least accurate at the extremes. You can make your battery meter accurate by using jonpry's Super Cool Battery Software.
  • Stylus removal/insertion sensor is completely not working.
  • TV Out is completely not working.
  • Zoom Bar is completely not working.
  • Tethering on USB built into Android works in FRX but not GRX, but tethering on wifi built into Android works on both, but is unstable and will crash the system on turning it off. There is a replacement app for wifi tethering called XDAndroid-wifi-tether that works better.
  • Speakerphone mute button on back doesn't do anything. You can replace your rootfs with an alternative that enables them. F22's rootfs
  • Special keyboard keys like mail don't do anything in the default setup. You can replace your rootfs with an alternative that enables them. F22's rootfs
  • Internal memory cannot be usefully accessed except on NAND builds.
  • USB Mass Storage only works if you partition your SD card (anyone want to write a guide to this?).
  • Shutdown will occasionally mess up the contents of the card when using non-NAND builds. Generally not a problem, but over time file system may build up with errors and need a reformat. Also, files with names like FSCK001 will appear in your SD card's root and need to be deleted.
  • Video playback works for low resolutions, but high resolutions such as Youtube HQ have only audio. This can be alleviated with highlandsun's experimental codecs.

You might look at that list and think whoa, but all core features are working, and I've been running it on my Touch Pro 2 as my main OS quite happily.

If I'm missing anything, just let me know and I'll add it to the list.

fishpony 08-28-2010 03:14 PM

Re: Unofficial known issues list 8/28

You might add that you can't charge at all while in android

Also my voice search worked at one time but i just tried it and it doesn't, so that might be hit or miss.

manekineko 08-28-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpony (Post 1927119)
You might add that you can't charge at all while in android

Also my voice search worked at one time but i just tried it and it doesn't, so that might be hit or miss.

Charging is working fine for me on the latest Froyo build. Are you on the new builds?

The issue with voice search seems to be that it's not able to initialize the microphone. If you use it when the microphone is already initialized, like right after a call, it'll work.

sjs01 08-28-2010 04:10 PM

I heard that the Keyboard Backlight actually does work. You just have to have it on when you boot from Windows Mobile to Android, but then the backlight stays on the whole time. Charging in working well in Android, but I believe it will only charge to 85% (in windows mobile percentage).

nadcicle20 08-28-2010 04:14 PM

I've found that on my phone the LED notification light is on orange most of the time if not always. However, when I lose signal it turns green. Sounds really weird, but when i put it in airplane mode it stayed green. I flipped it back on and back to orange it went.

I have came up with a logical explanation for everything after conducting a lot of research and have come to a conclusion. This android is definitely haunted by the elusive wookisasquatchosaurus. I have tried to catch it in the act and photograph it, but it always slips out of my grasps.

manekineko 08-28-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjs01 (Post 1927172)
I heard that the Keyboard Backlight actually does work. You just have to have it on when you boot from Windows Mobile to Android, but then the backlight stays on the whole time. Charging in working well in Android, but I believe it will only charge to 85% (in windows mobile percentage).

Thanks, noted!

[ACL] 08-28-2010 05:26 PM

I have a few comments.
  • USB is always active and cannot connect to computer to send data. <--we started looking into this issue. This is more important for the nand version since without it, debugging is very difficult.
  • SD Card cannot be dismounted, and on an occasional basis will mess up the contents of the card. <-- course you cant dismount.. android running off it.
  • Software shutdown does not work. <--- You need to look into this.. It is working for us. Now it may be because i'm running code for the Nand, but has no one been able to successfully shut down ?
  • Microphone is not properly activated for voice search and some other applications. Does work fine for phone calls and some apps. <-- Jonpry is already attacking this area.
  • 3D acceleration is completely not working. <-- yes, not working .. :-(
  • Android UI Process Crashes are frequent on the latest version without the crackling speakers, but this isn't actually that big a deal, as Android just reopens the UI right away. <-- weird.. need logcat dumps to troubleshoot this. or dmesg dumps would help too.
  • MMS not working. <-- too low priority to attack right now.

demonlordoftheround 08-28-2010 05:35 PM

Software shutdown is working for me after an update to the latest module and zImage to silence the speaker.

Ragster 08-28-2010 05:47 PM

Shutdown works for me
Charging, idk lol i left on the charger at night, booted into android and it was dead at 4 AM :/ while the charger was on
Facebook accounts is a bug on mult devices running FroYo
Face keys also don't work, same deal with the keyboard backlight lol (same "fix" also)
Since hardware3D and camera are on there, why not add BT? :P
Does screen refer to Auto Backlight? Or Brightness in general (Which also works funny)
And no crashing for me :)

CyberCrisis 08-28-2010 05:53 PM

With me it is that it keep restart just after it completely finish starting up. For the life of me nothing seem to work even reinstall and updating.