PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   [ v1.2 ] Calkulin's Stripped ROMs for Android - DualBOOT - 6.5 & 6.1 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113402)

raidzero 03-09-2010 08:32 PM

Re: [ ROM ][ v1.1 ] Calkulin's Stripped ROM for Android - 28MB :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S8perman (Post 1618375)
sweet...thank you sir :headbang:

This incorrect. You still need to have the android files on your SD. at the moment the android kernel cannot read the flash flesystem (tp2 internal storage). All this is a very lim version of WM made for booting android. I made one that boots android automatically, both work well. It seems really that it does not matter what ROM you are running on top of, because haret completely unloads WM from memory. The only benefit I see is of course startup time, I got from power on to android desktop in like 2 mins or less with both calk's 6.1 version and my own 6.5. :-D

the progress on android is astounding. having it load before windows UI makes it seem like an android ROM. Couple that with a quick android bootsplash and nobody would know any better if they didn't know that it is impossible at this time to load it natively. Well, maybe the framebuffer loadign sequence would give it away to a geek person, anyone else probably not ;)

skruff77 03-09-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidzero (Post 1618790)
This incorrect. You still need to have the android files on your SD. at the moment the android kernel cannot read the flash flesystem (tp2 internal storage). All this is a very lim version of WM made for booting android. I made one that boots android automatically, both work well. It seems really that it does not matter what ROM you are running on top of, because haret completely unloads WM from memory. The only benefit I see is of course startup time, I got from power on to android desktop in like 2 mins or less with both calk's 6.1 version and my own 6.5. :-D

the progress on android is astounding. having it load before windows UI makes it seem like an android ROM. Couple that with a quick android bootsplash and nobody would know any better if they didn't know that it is impossible at this time to load it natively. Well, maybe the framebuffer loadign sequence would give it away to a geek person, anyone else probably not ;)

cool thanks for the clear up. when i flashed this rom i already had the files on my card. i didnt know that it didnt come with it

info[]box1 03-09-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S8perman (Post 1618451)
how do i get data to work?

Data works out the box, but it would be a good idea to have your carrier provisioning cab. To directly answer your question: Me personally my data worked out the box...

Quote:

Originally Posted by skruff77 (Post 1618536)
is anyone batteries getting kind of hot??

Running the current Android release power/ battery management to be not the best in the world. Nicely said...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1618438)
Holy Guacamole! :)

You going out for taco tonite..? lol

Carla 03-10-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by info[]box1 (Post 1618987)
You going out for taco tonite..? lol

Bah No Way!

dishe 03-10-2010 03:10 AM

Awesome... just to clear up any misconceptions- Yes, it will likely be possible to load Android natively on the device's internal memory. Some Vogue users have it flashed to NAND already, effectively removing WinMo completely.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=636024

I wouldn't worry about that anytime soon- let's first work on getting a solid Android release with all the functions working before we go deleting WinMo. :)

Personally, I would always keep both. The only thing you loose is boot time, and Calk here has provided a compromise for now. Nicely done!

sd_matto 03-10-2010 04:30 PM

Absolutely LOVING this ROM.

Android runs on top of it smoothly.

Also it is a very nice barebones WinMo ROM on which I can run whatever CABs I want. I have Pocket Informant and FlexMail running on it, and it is amazing how well this work.

One issue I am having is that it is almost TOO barebones. So, for example, I cannot get either (1) auto call recording, or (2) ICS/WModem (tethering) working on this ROM. Also, I am missing not having a battery meter on this ROM. How difficult would it be to restore the underlying backbone functionality to permit these to work on this ROM?

Thanks in advance for thoughts/feedback.

dwizzy130 03-10-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_matto (Post 1620816)
How difficult would it be to restore the underlying backbone functionality to permit these to work on this ROM?

Thanks in advance for thoughts/feedback.

I think that would defeat the purpose of this ROM:
Quote:

stripped of practically everything that is not needed to get Android running.
dwizzy130

bamf 03-10-2010 11:19 PM

A little confused. Is the whole point of this ROM to free up memory? Does it have any other advantages such as battery life or speed/performance? I like it because I've been playing with Android nonstop and don't really want to switch back to winmo at the moment:)

sd_matto 03-11-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwizzy130 (Post 1621775)
I think that would defeat the purpose of this ROM:dwizzy130

Agreed that it would defeat the ONE, recited purpose that you quoted.

Having said that, this ROM is FAST, and blows away every other custom ROM that I have tried in terms of speed, even with FlexMail and PocketInformant loaded up (I am still testing battery life). So, another purpose for this ROM (which I am exploring) is "INCREDIBLY FAST, VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO CUSTOM/STOCK ROMs to replace custom/stock ROMs in a dual-boot system (WinMo and Android)". And, those functions I listed are key core functions to the WinMo boot (at least, for me).

So, constructive thoughts appreciated. Maybe this thread should be in BOTH the Android, and the CDMA Custom ROM forums?

info[]box1 03-11-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_matto (Post 1621925)
Agreed that it would defeat the ONE, recited purpose that you quoted.

Having said that, this ROM is FAST, and blows away every other custom ROM that I have tried in terms of speed, even with FlexMail and PocketInformant loaded up (I am still testing battery life). So, another purpose for this ROM (which I am exploring) is "INCREDIBLY FAST, VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO CUSTOM/STOCK ROMs to replace custom/stock ROMs in a dual-boot system (WinMo and Android)". And, those functions I listed are key core functions to the WinMo boot (at least, for me).

So, constructive thoughts appreciated. Maybe this thread should be in BOTH the Android, and the CDMA Custom ROM forums?

This is a super fast ROM, now that the messaging client has been added thats a plus for me. I'm not a heavy user everyday, mostly sms, emails, browser thats it. Maybe youtube if someone sends me link to something that they think is funny.

So for me this ROM is ideal mixed with the fact of my new Android life.

+1 on adding this thread to CDMA Custom ROM forums... Only if Calkulin adds about 3-5 more features(core winmo lifelines), so attempted nOobish requests can be declined in the post #1.

Calkulin mind going into alittle details...?? Will the ROM automatically copy the mentioned (list) below over to device memory, after the Droid boot up on this ROM...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calkulin (Post 1615132)
Files that will be copied over to device for faster access from the SD Card(root directory)
haret.exe
initrd.gz
startup.txt
zImage