View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
haus
Halfway to VIP Status

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I know for sure that verizon does charge wifi, not what you think though
they charge for data being dled to the phone. When I got my xv6700 I was on pay per kb plan, but I incurred a large bill; not because of wifi but because of data being downloaded via wifi. The way the CS explained was anything downloaded via the device, even not on their broadband network incurred charges. They are spinning the same story now with touch pros...
That CSR was lying to you. Verizon cannot track "anything downloaded via the device". They can track anything downloaded via their EVDO/1x network and anything downloaded via another carrier's EVDO/1x network tracked through roaming agreements. I know I won't convince you with a simple post, but it really is a fact - if Verizon charged you for a lot of data, you were using their data network, which is possible even though you may have also been connected to Wifi. PPC phones can maintain (and use) both connections simultaneously.

The confusion stems from two things:

1. It is pretty hard to get a Pocket PC/WM device not to connect to the cellular data network. In many cases it takes more than just deleting the dialup entries (#777, etc.) on the device.

2. Customer service reps do not always tell the whole truth about data, because the company line is "you need a data plan" and they either don't want to get into the minutiae of EVDO/1x vs Wifi (because some customers Just Don't Get It) or they don't understand the difference themselves. It is a lot easier to simply say "get the unlimited plan so you will never incur a charge for using data". If 3 pages of a thread can't convince some of you, can you imagine how loud things would get in a Verizon store where people have been waiting for half an hour with no chairs.

For those people for whom Sprint is not an option, I am sorry; you reap firsthand the benefits of Verizon's real- or perceived monopoly with little recourse. Again, to the OP, I think your best cost-saving option is to carry a cheap flip phone (no data plan) and use the PPC phone as a Wifi-connected PDA. Then someday if your economic conditions change, or maybe you change to a job that will pay for it, you can switch to the TP as your main phone and get a voice/data plan. I have some friends whose companies agreed to pick up their wireless bills if they agreed to use that phone for work (and skip a company-supplied phone).
This post has been thanked 1 times.