View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
tichi
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

tichi is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS - how to remove satellites from phone's memory?

> This is just my observation. I have a feeling it may have something to do > with the registry key TimeBetweenFixes which is at 1. Not sure what this > key actually does, but my guess is that the value specified (whether in
> hours or days or whatever) is the expiry time for the downloaded data. In > other words, the time elapsed in which the GPS will need to reacquire
> satellite information.

looks plausible

>> coordinates 0.0 0.0 ... Atlantic ocean somewhere near Africa?
> If it was somewhere near there, I would expect a map with blue (to
> indicated water) and if I zoomed out far enough, probably see the coast > of Africa. However, no amount of zooming out will give me any indication

> Yeah, that one got me confused. As a test, I removed the server IP and > port in the SUPL AGPS and soft-reset. So now no AGPS is used right?
> Then I started google maps, searched for my home address which is
> about 30km away from where I am (at work), selected Use GPS and
> guess what happened next? IT FOUND MY APPROX. POSITION!!! 1 km
> away from my work place! I looked at the blue status message on the top > right and it said Seeking GPS Satellites (0).... So I've removed the AGPS > server, and yet it still found my approx. location.

curious!
my guess is that GoogleMaps is able to retrieve the STORED "last known" location from the GPS chips or wherever, and then it is trying to
center you around this location...
from your story it looks like with the OLDER radio GoogleMaps retrieves this location correctly (or it is simply stored correctly),
while with the newer radio GoogleMaps and radio could not agree on that...
if Google maps gets some garbage as "last known location" from the new radio, and then tries to center you around it, then it explains those confusing screens you get< does not it?

Maybe I should flash the older radio too..
Have you had the older radio from the Alltel rom (as per Tutorial?)
did you install it over the newer one without problems?

> QPST is a commercial app and considered warez and risk possible banning > if I say anything more about it so I'll leave it at that.

thnx I had no idea what is it, that's why asked.. I'll not bother about it then
until I see that it is really needed