View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
gof
PPCGeeks Regular

gof is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Which gps programs tell you which side of the street your destination is on?

I travel a fair bit and prefer iGuidance (ver4). With MicroSD cards so cheap (I got my 4GB for less than $20 on sale) the map size isn't an issue, and I don't have to worry about remembering to load a given set of maps. Since I use the GPS primarily when I'm in a rental car in unfamiliar territory, I enjoy (and rely) on the text-to-speech directions. Anything that lets me watch the road, not the GPS. Face it, the sceen isn't *that* big for any GPS app where you want to keep shifting your focus.

Now I primarily use iGuidance with my external Holux unit, although I've briefly tested it with the internal GPS. As has been pointed out by others, and in the Sticky GPS thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=17032 iGuidance needs some help to use the internal GPS (which I haven't done yet). I haven't noticed any major issues with the quality of the iGuidance POI database as it has most things I've been looking for. My only complaint there is that if you don't know the category of something it can be difficult to find (for example, some stores that don't easily fit into a category). Also, some people have run into a minor bug in early releases of iGuidance 4 where a dll (actually a .bin file) used to communicate the contact address back to the iGuidance software wasn't on the install DVD. If you have this issue see here http://discussion.buygpsnow.com/forums/t/1468.aspx to read more and to download the missing file.

Now I will comment on the use of a sprint provided nav software. I don't see the value unless you use it a lot in an urban area. Microsoft Live and Google Mobile Maps provide just as much up-to-date information, can use the internal GPS now, and are FREE. Further, if you're in an area where you don't get DATA (not just roaming phone, but also roaming data), then you're SOL when it comes to the GPS . I'd much rather spend the $20-$30 on a larger MicroSD card and allways have the maps available. By the time you pay for the subscription for a year, you'd have purchased the GPS software and the memory card... Seems a no-brainer to me.