View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
WBFAir
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

WBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWBFAir is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Is SPB Backup worth $24.95? + general BU questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeif_ObD View Post
The question you should be asking is: How much is your data worth to you?
Well Okeif, I appreciate the very helpful advice here and I'm sorry if this comes off rude but see, I'm one of those old fashion guys who looks more at what something itself is worth and feel that is what I should pay for it then a, hey, whats it worth to you kind of thing.

See I want to pay for what I get and if most other programs I see that have all the same features are all 10 or 15 or 20 dollars but this one is 25, then I don't have problem with that I just want to know what am I paying that extra 5 for.

Is it for some extra feature that is worth that much more, or is for some programmer looking to make payments on his wifes Escalade who thinks that since I don't have much of a choice I will pay what ever he wants me to pay him for it.

So basically that was kinda the point of my question was I was looking to find out what extra or special stuff this program had over others.

Again sorry if that is rude but I just wanted to make that clear.

Quote:
SPB Backup can do everything up until the incremental and full-system file syncing. But I'm sure the first is a planned (future) feature and if not, at least suggested already, should be.
Oh ok so SPB doesn't do incremental's.

To be honist with only 256mb on the device I don't really care that much as how long could that take to BU, but I do have a 16g class 6 card coming that I plan to fill up with music, vids, my GPS's programs maps and waypoints and as well use for any other storage I can so thats kinda why I was looking to have that feature as if I have to backup all that as well just to get a few changes backed up, that might take sometime.

Quote:
I recommend SyncToy 2.1 by Microsoft. I've used it as a developer for nearly 5 years (since SyncToy1.0)
Thanks I will look into that one.

Quote:
Let me add, too, that there is an oft overlooked feature of SPB Backup suite, and that is: if the program is installed to the storage card then the user never needs to reinstall the program (of course, they can if they want, or don't know how to create a custom link/shortcut) again. Specifically, SPB BU, once installed on a storage card will remain in a 'program files' root folder which can be accessed no matter what state you phone is in(save for bricked, but still accessible in other devices the storage card finds itself); which makes backing up test ROMS, restoring corrupted ROMs, or recovering from 'catastrophic failures' really, REALLY, easy.
Now there's what I'm talking about as that seems like it would be a really really great feature and thanks for tell me about it.

Quote:
As for an 'all-in-one solution' with all the features you listed, I don't think there is one, and I can't see the absolute need for one as some of the features you listed are non-dependent on others, in some cases may cause the user more problems, and almost certainly creates more user error; not too mention that the price of such a feature-packed program would get questioned in future forum posts.
Great thanks for the experienced info.

Thanks

Last edited by WBFAir; 01-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.