PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2 > WP7 On The HD2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WP7 ROM + Bootloader + How-To

Edit step 4 to say "after option 5 is selected, hold the "red and green" buttons to initialize or start the USB Flasher mode.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

TheDJK is a n00b

I loaded it onto my HD2 last night, and I really wish I could keep it longer. It FLIES compared to WM6.5, and I like the 720p video (even if it's a bit short on settings). I also didn't miss the annoying sync issue with video playback on WM6.5. There are just a couple reasons I can't make it my regular OS right now:
1) The ability to tether is mandatory. We're going through a snow storm right now, and my home broadband has been flaky all day. Gotta have a Plan B.
2) I HATE the notion of having to import my Outlook contacts into Windows Live to get them onto the phone. I've never been a fan of having all my personal info on the cloud, and I don't use Windows Live for anything else.
3) Zune Desktop is unimpressive. I only use it because I must.
4) I don't feel like going through all the drama of getting Live services to work. And many of the extra apps aren't included in the ROM. I was kinda looking forward to checking out Netflix on it. Oh well, maybe later. (BTW, how does the whole MS activation thing work?)
5) Whenever I would shut the phone down, I had to pull the battery to get it to come back on. It would then boot up fine, but it was a pain pulling my hard case off the phone repeatedly. Did I miss something?

Still, I'm happy to see that a (mostly) working WP7 on the HD2 is now a reality. Looking forward to the next wave of improvements.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDJK View Post
4) I don't feel like going through all the drama of getting Live services to work. And many of the extra apps aren't included in the ROM. I was kinda looking forward to checking out Netflix on it. Oh well, maybe later. (BTW, how does the whole MS activation thing work?)
5) Whenever I would shut the phone down, I had to pull the battery to get it to come back on. It would then boot up fine, but it was a pain pulling my hard case off the phone repeatedly. Did I miss something?

Still, I'm happy to see that a (mostly) working WP7 on the HD2 is now a reality. Looking forward to the next wave of improvements.
all of your issues are just WP7 issues except the quoted above.

The Live Activation took my about a half hour. Totally worth it and you can DL netflix, htc hub, facebook, all the apps and xbox live, etc...

The turn off thing I have only experienced when it is plugged in. When not plugged in it turns off just fine (hold power for 5 seconds)
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Lurker

TheDJK is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
The turn off thing I have only experienced when it is plugged in. When not plugged in it turns off just fine (hold power for 5 seconds)
It would turn OFF exactly as you described above; no problem there. The problem I had was trying to turn it back ON once it was already off. That's when I had to pull the battery for it to come back up.

Now, I would be willing to live with some of the things I listed. After all, I have yet to find a device that does everything exactly the way I want it to (& I may never). However, the power-on problem and the lack of tethering are the real dealbreakers for me.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
It would turn OFF exactly as you described above; no problem there. The problem I had was trying to turn it back ON once it was already off. That's when I had to pull the battery for it to come back up.

Now, I would be willing to live with some of the things I listed. After all, I have yet to find a device that does everything exactly the way I want it to (& I may never). However, the power-on problem and the lack of tethering are the real dealbreakers for me.
well that's why you use Android + WP7 dual-boot, launch Android to tether.

If you had to pull the battery to turn it on then it was never really off in the first place.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Lurker

TheDJK is a n00b

Quote:
If you had to pull the battery to turn it on then it was never really off in the first place.
I assumed that when the screen went black and said "Good-bye" in the middle, that it was powering off like it was supposed to. And once the "good-bye" disappeared, it sure wouldn't respond to ANY buttons afterward. No LED's lit either, except for the charge LED when it was plugged in. This behavior was consistent over several tries, whether plugged in or not.

As for tethering, I don't think I want WP7 bad enough to dual-boot to Android as a tethering solution. Seems to me like it's a bit more trouble than it's worth. For now, I'll just wait to see if tethering will be enabled within WP7 through an update, or some other means.

Thanx for the input.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
I assumed that when the screen went black and said "Good-bye" in the middle, that it was powering off like it was supposed to. And once the "good-bye" disappeared, it sure wouldn't respond to ANY buttons afterward. No LED's lit either, except for the charge LED when it was plugged in. This behavior was consistent over several tries, whether plugged in or not.

As for tethering, I don't think I want WP7 bad enough to dual-boot to Android as a tethering solution. Seems to me like it's a bit more trouble than it's worth. For now, I'll just wait to see if tethering will be enabled within WP7 through an update, or some other means.

Thanx for the input.
they got tethering to work on a focus so it's just a matter of time now
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Lurker

TheDJK is a n00b

Quote:
they got tethering to work on a focus so it's just a matter of time now
Yeah, I've seen some threads about tethering working on the Samsung devices. Can't wait until somebody gets it working on the HTC devices.
=D>
Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Threadstarter

yeah that will be good.

I currently love the dual-boot because if I want to hop on Palringo, or a facebook app that doesn't suck, or want to tether or play an emulator game I can just launch Android. When I want good battery life or want to play a WP7 game or better phone fluidity I hop back on WP7, good times for HD2 owners.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: verizon

infamousstunna is a n00b
Re: [How-To] Flash WP7 to your HD2!!

May someone please chime in and give me a hand with an issue i've received with wp7...
I've installed the new hspl, new radio, and the program from Dark Forces featuring Cotulla(Magle or something of that nature).
Everything works fine except i'm unable to sync with Windows Mobile Device Center. Also, i'm receiving a message when i plug in my hd2 to my computer(vista), "click to finish installing drivers on device". When i agree to install, the request starts but stops ubruptly after another message on my cimputer, "couldn't find the drivers."

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC HD2 > WP7 On The HD2