PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Phone 7 Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Downgrade a WinPhone7? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134021)

abuttino 09-20-2010 10:56 AM

Downgrade a WinPhone7?

So, if the Windows Phone 7 isn't all it's cracked up to be, is there a chance that a few select phones will be downgraded for the OS ROM?

Or is it more likely that we'll see exploitations and some features will be enabled?

gTen 09-20-2010 04:22 PM

Re: Downgrade a WinPhone7?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abuttino (Post 1949699)
So, if the Windows Phone 7 isn't all it's cracked up to be, is there a chance that a few select phones will be downgraded for the OS ROM?

Or is it more likely that we'll see exploitations and some features will be enabled?

If you mean going back to 6.5..not gonna happen..wm6.5 and wp7 are completely different OS and msot likely have completely different boot loaders..not only that wm is part of the windows embeded license while WP is on a different license so there are legal issues as well.

More likely it will get hacks to enable features..think similar to jail breaking on iphone...assuming wp7 picks up.

DavidinCT 09-23-2010 11:45 PM

I'd say keep your 6800 for a while after you get a WP7 phone, you could always turn it back on.

You are with Verizon according to your profile, They are not getting any WP7 phones till next year, so everyone here will be talking about them and maybe you can get one.

Also, they have a 15 day no question asked refund on a phone/contract. So you could take it home, really play with it for almost 2 weeks and if you hate it, return it. You get your money back and not stuck in a contract.

You might see rollbacks here, if a large amount of people hate WP7, but, from what I have read, I don't think you will actually see that.

darren.wlsn1 09-23-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 1954619)
I'd say keep your 6800 for a while after you get a WP7 phone, you could always turn it back on.

You are with Verizon according to your profile, They are not getting any WP7 phones till next year, so everyone here will be talking about them and maybe you can get one.

Also, they have a 15 day no question asked refund on a phone/contract. So you could take it home, really play with it for almost 2 weeks and if you hate it, return it. You get your money back and not stuck in a contract.

You might see rollbacks here, if a large amount of people hate WP7, but, from what I have read, I don't think you will actually see that.

sprint wont have wp7 till 2011 either so only gsm peeps will be talking about there wp7 phones.

murtynvr 12-09-2010 12:37 PM

pardon me if i did not follow correctly, i am confused as to why to buy a wp7 and downgrade it to 6.5? ahhh later once wp7 is full potential, then upgrade again?

aximtreo 12-09-2010 01:36 PM

Why not buy a Omnia II or Imagio or the like. Makes no sense to buy WP7 and downgrade to WM 6.5. It would be like putting a Yugo engine in a Mercedes.

demonlordoftheround 12-09-2010 02:41 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

actually, the idea isn't half bad. get all the good hardware of the wp7 and put tweekable firmware. but why not just get an hd2? probably not going to happen though.

Mike G. 12-19-2010 11:55 AM

Sprint doesn't have a WM phone with a 1 ghz processor and as long as wp7 isn't customizable, it would be cool to downgrade back to WM6.5 on upgraded hardware. Especially until somebody finds a way for backwards compatibility of 6.5 apps.

orangekid 02-04-2011 12:58 PM

With an HD2 you can run either WM6.5 or WP7 at any time :)

DavidinCT 02-04-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2050888)
With an HD2 you can run either WM6.5 or WP7 at any time :)

Yea, yea, yea, rub it in...

Know what would be really cool, Most WP7 phones run at 1ghz+, most 6.5 based phones (Tp2, etc) run around 400-528mhz. Someone needs to make a 6.5 emulator, running at around TP2 speeds (not as fast as a HD2 but, reasonable), with access to games, phone, internet.

That would rock, then everyone with a WP7 phone could have 6.5 if they wanted...

Dr.8820 02-04-2011 07:47 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

I'm still holding out hope that htc will eventually launch a 4.3 inch slider :).

quick99si 02-05-2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2051076)
Yea, yea, yea, rub it in...

Know what would be really cool, Most WP7 phones run at 1ghz+, most 6.5 based phones (Tp2, etc) run around 400-528mhz. Someone needs to make a 6.5 emulator, running at around TP2 speeds (not as fast as a HD2 but, reasonable), with access to games, phone, internet.

That would rock, then everyone with a WP7 phone could have 6.5 if they wanted...

Yeah that would be pretty awesome, but I think the hardware would have to be more robust in order to emulate a "528mhz" device. Regardless, an emulator would be such a fantastic tool for someone like myself who insists on having the best tidbits of each OS in one.

I would go nuts for an HD2-like device on Sprint solely because of the 3 OS solution. Hell, I'd even give up the hardware keyboard to which I'm so attached!

DavidinCT 02-05-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quick99si (Post 2051295)
Yeah that would be pretty awesome, but I think the hardware would have to be more robust in order to emulate a "528mhz" device. Regardless, an emulator would be such a fantastic tool for someone like myself who insists on having the best tidbits of each OS in one.

I would go nuts for an HD2-like device on Sprint solely because of the 3 OS solution. Hell, I'd even give up the hardware keyboard to which I'm so attached!

It might be possable if they can make it like they make Android on the TP2, by closing WM and opening Android, I'm sure it's possable.

I would not expect the emulated system run top speed games but, there is a lot of apps that run on WM that you might never see on WP7...but, if you could "close" WP7 and start 6.5, that would be cool...but, it would be different for every phone.

The emulator was thought to be the easyest way to run on all WP7 phones that are unlocked... if possable of course

MrMocoCoco 02-08-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2051463)
It might be possable if they can make it like they make Android on the TP2, by closing WM and opening Android, I'm sure it's possable.

I would not expect the emulated system run top speed games but, there is a lot of apps that run on WM that you might never see on WP7...but, if you could "close" WP7 and start 6.5, that would be cool...but, it would be different for every phone.

The emulator was thought to be the easyest way to run on all WP7 phones that are unlocked... if possable of course

I may be mistaken but I thought that I saw on XDA that there was a version of 6.5, in the works, that would boot from the SD card.

The420Dank 03-31-2011 04:00 PM

I just don't understand why you would want to go back to 6.5, WP7 is just so beautiful.

I had 6.5 on my TP2 and I've been doing this for a while, was a great OS but compared to WP7, no contest.

Dr.8820 03-31-2011 04:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7))

Plus one.

orangekid 04-04-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMocoCoco (Post 2053118)
I may be mistaken but I thought that I saw on XDA that there was a version of 6.5, in the works, that would boot from the SD card.

it was rumored Cotulla was working on it, but that was months ago and we haven't even seen a hint of this.

I would love this because then I could run WP7 from NAND, and Android and WM6.5.x on SD and have a true tri-boot.

elesbb 04-18-2011 06:46 AM

I would buy a windows phone 7 if this were possible .

Tinkerbell 04-18-2011 04:41 PM

Tri-boot just sounds cool!! =)=)

bobdylan21221 06-15-2011 05:15 PM

cool.