PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking FREE (and MORE SECURE) OneDialer alternative!!

From what I understand the way OneDialer works is that you enter your gmail account info into the app, and it passes that on to the author's personal server for authentication to google. Now I noticed he's actually CHARGING for this app. Dude... what?!

I get free incoming calls so I really liked the potential of this application. I was a bit peeved when I saw it went to no longer being freeware. So I looked around and did NOT have to look very hard.

Open PIE and go to http://voice.google.com

Booyah! Just type in the number you want to call in the QUICK CALL box and press CALL. It's THAT *SIMPLE*!! Plus you don't have to worry about your authentication information being passed along to a potentially unsecured third party's server where who knows if they are harvesting your account info or not!?

What? You like being able to search your contacts from OneDialer? No problemo! Just sync your phone's contacts with your google account. Viola!!!

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299

Now you can use your google voice account right from your own phone, for FREE and without sending your auth info to someone else's server.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work
Re: FREE (and MORE SECURE) OneDialer alternative!!

True, that works, but still not as convenient as using your contacts on your phone. For example, from the home screen, go to your Favorites tab, a flick or two and a click and I am dialing with my Google number.

With the mobile website, I have to open it, type in a name, the click a name, then click call.

I agree it is free and secure, but I am really hoping Google releases something that integrates directly into Windows Mobile.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

petermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpetermg is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
True, that works, but still not as convenient as using your contacts on your phone.

I was never able to use the contact feature of OneDialer in a practical manner as it would literally take about 4 or 5 mins to read my contacts. I love that I can select the contacts on my phone from the google voice mobile site!!! Plus I can actually txt back and forth from the website in a way I never could using OneDialer.

For me, these are what makes it (the website) better [than using OneDialer] for *my* personal use:
1. FREE
2. FASTER [WAY FASTER!!!] than OneDialer for using with my phone contacts
3. SECURE (not sending my personal auth info to a third party's server)
4. Can actually txt from the site and see the conversation both my side and the person I'm txting with (yes I have to refresh the page but when I used OneDialer I was unable to receive any txt responses in the application so this is much better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
I am really hoping Google releases something that integrates directly into Windows Mobile.
I would imagine they would, seems to be their MO.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache,Titan,Treo 700w,750w,800w,TP,Fuze,TP2,Hero
Carrier: Sprint / AT&T

relux is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to relux

Get a text message from one of your contacts. Grab the 406 number and make this their number in your phone. You can now call and text this 406 number and both will come from your GV number. A lot easier than using any kind of app or their mobile site.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by relux View Post
Get a text message from one of your contacts. Grab the 406 number and make this their number in your phone. You can now call and text this 406 number and both will come from your GV number. A lot easier than using any kind of app or their mobile site.
Thanks, that is a good trick.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Tags
google, google voice, googlevoice, onedialer, voice