PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
mk3
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul/Titan WM 6.1 [OEM]
Carrier: Sprint

mk3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM6.5 and Outlook OWA (MS Exchange)

I spent hours looking into what I'm doing wrong and I cannot get my Mogul/Titan to connect to my company OWA email server. Best I can figure by reading everywhere on the internet is something broke in WM6.1 Activesync. Really irritates me because some guys at work got their stupid iPhones to connect without any hiccups!

QUESTION: Has anyone gotten WM6.5 to connect to OWA Exchange servers?

Sprint Mogul/Titan running stock WM6.1 from HTC.
Exchange server is 2003.
*Yes the server is setup correctly to allow my mobile device to connect.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: WM6.5 and Outlook OWA (MS Exchange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
I spent hours looking into what I'm doing wrong and I cannot get my Mogul/Titan to connect to my company OWA email server. Best I can figure by reading everywhere on the internet is something broke in WM6.1 Activesync. Really irritates me because some guys at work got their stupid iPhones to connect without any hiccups!

QUESTION: Has anyone gotten WM6.5 to connect to OWA Exchange servers?

Sprint Mogul/Titan running stock WM6.1 from HTC.
Exchange server is 2003.
*Yes the server is setup correctly to allow my mobile device to connect.
Yes both in 6.1 and 6.5. You may need to install the appropriate certificates from the exchange server to gain access.

I posted instructions on another thread on how to get the correct certificates through OWA. so through your pc, gain access to your corporate exchange account and follow the instructions below. **i had troubles connecting with just the root certificate so I ended up grabbing them all. Most people are able to access exchange by just installing the root certficate. Good luck.

Hope this helps:

Essentially just installing the root certificate wasn't enough for me. I ended up installing certificates to the intermediate level as well and finally starting connecting properly. It has worked flawlessly for months now. Here is the article on how to get certificates and install them. the key is to grab all the certificates meaning grab not just the root level cert but the ones above it as well (you will see this after reading the article). they will install to the intermediate level. good luck.

this allowed me to install two more certificates to the intermediate level rather than just the root level.
http://www.confusedamused.com/notebook/installing-windows-mobile-60-root-certificates/

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Also, what are you trying exactly? And what errors are you getting?

I have managed Exchange 2003 and 2007 setups with WinMo devices (currently we're on 2007 hoping to move to 2010 soon as it is released). So if you can give some detailed errors and information I can help.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Apache->Mogul->TP2-> EVO 3D

Slwitek is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to Slwitek Send a message via Yahoo to Slwitek

I am getting server certificate has expired error. It states that it may be due to incorrect clock settings, but they are right. I have never had a problem before this last flash? How can I correct this?

Old 05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
mk3
N00b
Threadstarter

mk3 is a n00b
Unhappy Re: WM6.5 and Outlook OWA (MS Exchange)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazell View Post
Also, what are you trying exactly? And what errors are you getting?

I have managed Exchange 2003 and 2007 setups with WinMo devices (currently we're on 2007 hoping to move to 2010 soon as it is released). So if you can give some detailed errors and information I can help.

I am trying to get my Mogul to send/receive emails while out of the office. The only message I get is "error synchronizing' at the bottom of the screen after I try a send/receive.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 PM
mk3
N00b
Threadstarter

mk3 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
Yes both in 6.1 and 6.5. You may need to install the appropriate certificates from the exchange server to gain access.

I posted instructions on another thread on how to get the correct certificates through OWA. so through your pc, gain access to your corporate exchange account and follow the instructions below. **i had troubles connecting with just the root certificate so I ended up grabbing them all. Most people are able to access exchange by just installing the root certficate. Good luck.

Hope this helps:

Essentially just installing the root certificate wasn't enough for me. I ended up installing certificates to the intermediate level as well and finally starting connecting properly. It has worked flawlessly for months now. Here is the article on how to get certificates and install them. the key is to grab all the certificates meaning grab not just the root level cert but the ones above it as well (you will see this after reading the article). they will install to the intermediate level. good luck.

this allowed me to install two more certificates to the intermediate level rather than just the root level.
http://www.confusedamused.com/notebook/installing-windows-mobile-60-root-certificates/

Thanks for the link, I went through the steps to install the root and intermediate and still can't get it to work.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
I am trying to get my Mogul to send/receive emails while out of the office. The only message I get is "error synchronizing' at the bottom of the screen after I try a send/receive.
If you hit Menu->Status in ActiveSync it should tell you what the error is an a code. Post those here so I can give you a bit more advise.

It could be the server rejecting you for some reason (like in-ability to set device policies) or you rejecting the server (such as a certificate problem).
Old 05-17-2009, 07:32 PM
mk3
N00b
Threadstarter

mk3 is a n00b

Okay so I played around with installing the root certificate and finally got it to synchronize, once. After that I get the same 'error synchronizing" error.

The cert is 'self-issued'

Here's what Activesync says...

Result: The security certificate on the server is not valid. Contact your exchange server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server. Support Code: 0x80072F0D

Last edited by mk3; 05-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Since the cert is self signed I'm not sure you can properly install it on the device (I could be wrong on this though).

I'm assuming since you're using a self-signed certificate you are the exchange server admin and the server isn't really used in production (as expecting the end user to get around that would be a nightmare). Although my method can be used with end users if your deployment is small enough (mine was when I used this method).

The easiest thing for you to do would be to get a proper certificate from www.cacert.org. Their signing service is free which is awesome and they support "UCC"/Subject Alternative Name certs as used by Exchange 2007. The only caveat to using CACert is their root certificate is not installed by default in Windows Mobile. Install that on your device after installing the certificate on the server (there is a root cert link on their homepage) and you should be golden.

If your setup is big enough to need a "real" cert the cheapest one I've found that does support UCC certs is from GoDaddy. I was able to snatch a good three year cert for $50 a year and end the cert install on devices manually on each hard reset.

If you need any help with the admin portion (getting the cert on the server or device) chime in. Otherwise, let me know it worked out well
Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

When I had the instinct, all i put in was a simple owa address, it asked me for login info, and it worked! Now I have windows mobile and it seems to be OVERLY COMPLICATED for no reason!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software