PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VX6800
Carrier: VZW

BoSoxFan is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to BoSoxFan Send a message via AIM to BoSoxFan
Re: Proof that cracked and illegal software is slowing down mobile development

while i am not supporting warez as we know none of us do these things. ... if your post was true then we would not have apps or games for Windows OS either! there is much more warez going on for Windows Desktop/Laptop systems than mobile but they keep making them b/c realize this, all the people on here doing what we do, we are most likely less than 1% of the users of these phones, we are not hurting marketing that much....
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 AM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower

ok to answer all your statements
1) i put this topic here because i was talking about pocket pc software otherwise yes i would have put it on off topic.
2)for the person that said 'nice proof' if you noticed for the newer pocket pc WVGA 6.5 type there is a huge slowdown of games and apps being made THE PROOF IS obvious
3) one person said if there is games like there is for iphone ... well iam assuming the person knows a little about programming it takes a long time to create a quality 3D game like resident evil ...if a developer is scared that he wont make money because of cracked games he will not spend time and money on big production.
4) to the person who says most things are thought of......yes that is true but will the same things avalible for newer pocket pc be made for future pocket pc that is the point iam trying to make.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insight i hope other developers join in this topic i thank you all for your opinion.

Last edited by pixelpower; 12-03-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

There is hacking on any platform, so i don't think it's about warez. The great game developers most likely moved on to iPhone and Android. Those devices are centered around entertainment. WM is business first.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2 optimized
Carrier: Sprint

rcrawfo2 is becoming a great contributor

Um this thread is pointless....Pirated software has and will always exist. THis is not do to WM at all. Most of us can down load thousands of games/software for IPHONE for free that have been cracked...WM devices there are very few apps that are cracked that actually work. The apps that are cracked for WM, 95% are BS and no one even downloads those....So this would be a nice title if it was in the Iphone forum "if i cared" but not relevant for WM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

more of an opinion than proof bud
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Decadance is just getting started

Maybe a reason why producers do not make WM games is because there is not enough of a market for them, whereas with Driod and Iphone there is...

Sounds significantly more plausibly than the pirates killed the market. For your statement to be true, at one point, a market had to exist, and it simply has not.

Awesome proof, though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I agree that there's not much proof, but more of an opinion.

Warez exists on every platform, as others have said. Jailbreak your iPhone and there are sites where you can get cracked games/apps just like you can for WM.

As someone else mentioned, WM was originally geared towards business use only, just like Blackberry. You don't see many quality games for Blackberry either, not even the Storm that has a touchscreen and accelerometer. They figured business users don't need games and they just need functional apps, which is true. They probably don't care about aesthetics as much as functionality.

Also, WVGA devices are fairly new. There were none on the market a year ago. Just like the change from QVGA to VGA, it takes time. WVGA will get developed just as VGA has. That's another issue with WM. There's many different devices with different resolutions and different hardware specs. The iPhone doesn't have this. Its all the same in the eyes of the developers. Android will run into this issue too.

But it all falls back onto the fact that Android and the iPhone were designed around the casual user, not the business user. As WM moves in that direction and becomes more mainstream, this should change, hopefully, if WM7 is all its expected to be.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM
PPC Geek's writer
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy 4G
Carrier: tmobile

pixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIPpixelpower is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to pixelpower

Ok great answers i realized i made a big mistake in the title and i didnt explain myself well enough. I apologize if i wasted anyones time as i just wanted to get a debate going but seems like everyone agreeds that windows mobile is not a great platform for games. I honestly thought it was but i was wrong about that also. I will say that all in all iam glad because i did come to realize that i should start focusing on making Iphone and androids games. Probaly they also have better tools to make more complete games and apps. So i did learn something so for me this wasnt a waste of time. I thank you all for your opinions on this matter.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

your games are free anyways so piracy wouldnt even be an issue for you right?!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

iwillfearnoevil is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
your games are free anyways so piracy wouldnt even be an issue for you right?!
he said that he doesn't want to make longer/bigger games as they would be pirated and not worth his time. instead he makes demos or short games. i also think the problem is there was no central marketplace until recently and i have no clue how windows marketplace will help sales.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Tags
free pocket pc games, pocket pc games, pocket pc wvga, windowsmobile games