PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800w & HTC Snap (wife's)
Carrier: Sprint

DavidIQ is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidIQ
Being a developer I'll have to chime in.

Developing for PPC is not the same as developing for a PC running Windows whatever. You're a lot more restricted in what you do and how you do it. I've ported some programs I have made on the PC to the PPC and it has been a pain trying to get the same functionality on there.

That being said I know full and well that creating a program for the phone is more often than not a one-man show. Why? Because the programs aren't usually that complex and when they are the price becomes too much to pay out by those that might have been interested. There is a perception that PPC software is like this and is more likely the reason why there is so much downloading of pirated copies of this type of software as stated on the letter.

I think as developers we go into this sort of development with that in mind and should face the consequences. Do I support pirating? Well of course not...that's our hard-work being stolen. Do I lose sleep over it? Nope. I'm not naive enough to create a company that gets supported by a few Pocket PC aps. Such a company would be doomed to extinction IMO...unless you have a few applications available and are constantly being updated and improving your software as is the case with Lakeridge Software (WisBar) and if anyone has ever followed Chris' work via his forum you'll notice that he's always hard at work with his apps AND keeping a steady job. A bit more work than I would like to do.

Perception was mentioned and is a big chunk of this. My perception has indeed changed since becoming a developer so I don't go looking for pirated software anymore. I now tend to either look for a free option or create my own program/solution.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Lurker

sleepyhollowtoo is a n00b
n00b response

I'm new to this site, awaiting delivery of a 6800, so Im trying to learn all I can. I'm a geezer n00b, going back to Comm64 days. As someone has noted, this issue has been around since the beginning of software. I don't do warez and so far haven't d/l any music legal or otherwise! But as a thinking, and hopefully intelligent person, I did stop by and read the thread, and it made me stop and think, as it did the person who totaled up the value of his software. I think part of the issue is that some of the software/tweaks grew up originally in a basement or garage or among friends or a users group and was just FUN. A challenge or a minor want, or fix. A hobbiest approach. That's why many of us are here and on other similar sites. But I definitely appreciate what the original poster has said, the way he said it, and that he took the time to politely say it. There is some major software in the world that makes our lives easier/better (I hope) and the people would created it should be rewarded for their labor.
My thanks and a tip o'the hat to the developers here. Health and prosperity to you.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

rbinkley is a n00b
Coz' response made me think of that commercial they aired a couple years or so ago. It showed a guy breaking into a car and driving off... then a guy breaks into a house and starts setting up his stuff... similar situations, people stealing boats, CD's, random "personal belongings." Anyways... after each robbery scene it says, "You wouldn't steal a (insert object being stolen)" then at the end it says, "... so why do you steal music?" It was some RIAA commercial. My first and immediate response to it was, "Well... if I could steal a brand new BMW as easily as I can steal an mp3 online I would... and more people would be driving Beamers."

But to seriously weigh in on the matter... I agree people that make music, software, anything "intangible" which is a great description by the way, should be rewarded, good software I pay for, just like good CD's I buy.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

MrOuija36 is a n00b
Well.. all very well and depends.. right now i only have TWO pay programs on my treo700wx.. am i paying for them.. no..i did find a serial number for both.. WOULD i buy them.. hell yeah..

but i mean.. these ppc's dont come cheap.. and some people feels as though that alot of the solid apps on here should have already been on here from the beggining. After shelling out about 400-500 on a phone i dont think people will be as enthused to spend another 200 just on software that makes their ppc more enjoyable

just another perspective..
Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
That perspective is hard to justify in my opinion. THe people that write this software that makes your ppc more enjoyable don't get any part of the 400-500 you paid for the phone.

I mean it is one thing to pirate software but another thing altogether to justify it. Accept that it is wrong and feel bad about doing it. I'm not saying I'm perfect in that regard but at least I'm honest with myself that pirating software of any kind is taking money directly out of the pocket of the guy that spent his blood sweat and tears making it.

I am not owed that software, no matter how much I paid for the phone itself.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

DavidIQ is a n00b
Dang...that means that I should have stolen that GPS instead of buy it. I mean it should have come with the car! After all...I did pay $14K for it.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

MrOuija36 is a n00b
lol, sarcasm not needed my dude.. just like one guy up there said.. he would download (technically pirating) an album online but wouldnt go into best buy and steal a cd though.. so your example was nothing but an ill attempt at humor..

but anyway.. luv2chill.. i understand what you saying though and like i said it was just another perspective and i actually do plan on purchasing my own license especially for my wisbar advance.. love that thing and would like to be support them.. thats no big deal to me

but feel bad though? Nah no one should ever feel bad about any decision they do in their life lol..
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

DavidIQ is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOuija36
.. so your example was nothing but an ill attempt at humor..

I like this one too

Old 07-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
but feel bad though? Nah no one should ever feel bad about any decision they do in their life lol..
And that kind of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. I hope others don't view things that way. You're making a conscious decision to steal from someone who has done nothing wrong to you. If you don't feel bad about that then something is wrong with you.

Say you decide to drive drunk one night and hit and cripple a pedestrian. I guess you should never feel bad about that decision to get in the car and drive, according to your POV.

See how ridiculous that is? Of course you should feel bad about committing any act of harm towards another person--whether that be a car you dent in a parking lot, a loan you don't repay, or a piece of software you steal. Fundamentally all of that stuff boils down to causing harm to another party--and you're supposed to feel bad about doing that.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

lazyboy0172 is keeping up the good worklazyboy0172 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to lazyboy0172 Send a message via MSN to lazyboy0172
To be honest, I didn't even know warez existed for PPC until I saw this thread back when it was first posted. Being the deviant I am, a quick google search led me to some warez sites, and 1 remains on my favorites.

HOWEVER, I came back to this thread today, and read it the first day as well, and decided to check up on how many programs on my phone have been obtained and still-used illegally.

warez- 2

the rest is freeware or I have purchased.

I have downloaded many more warez than 2, and have purchased a few of them; I prefer using the warez site because it is cleaner, has no advertising, and has no sponsors so it is much easier to find what I am looking for, or find something new and unbiased, with reviews from many people. I then proceed to download and install those programs, and usually uninstall them shortly after as I find them unnecessary, like a demo without the nag screen, I suppose. The two that I have on my device right now that I haven't paid for are because they are newly installed. One I installed a couple days ago, and another I installed just tonight. When I have the money, I'll pay for the one I've had for a few days, as I find it exemplary. The other one is nice, but it isn't something I'll get real use out of until school begins again, so if it ends up doing what I need it to do during school, I'll pay for that one too.

In closing, warez and warez-sites aren't THAT bad, it just depends on the people (99%, I'd gather ) I like the warez sites, and I like not being nagged about purchasing something I haven't even begun to try yet, so I'll continue to use it to discover new and great things, but people make these programs because they want to and they enjoy it, and I respect that enough to reward them for their work.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Tags
free pocket pc games, pocket pc games, pocket pc wvga, windowsmobile games