PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fuel MPG Tracker "GasTracker" v0.2- VGA Only **Updated** (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51026)

mwheeler1982 12-29-2008 09:26 PM

Fuel MPG Tracker "GasTracker" v0.2- VGA Only **Updated**

4 Attachment(s)
Here's my first attempt at making a "production grade" WM 6 application. I'm sure there are other applications out there that do this, but I wanted the development experience.

Prerequisites:
.NET CF 3.5
SQL Server CE 3.5 (edit *cab now included in post*)
VGA Device

Features:
v0.1
"Finger Friendly" Interface.
Reports on: Last Tank's MPG, Total MPG
Ability to clear out the database.
v0.2
Binary backup/restore of the database (backup stored as (InstallDirectory)\GasTrackerDB.bak) - Tools Page
Export/Import XML data - Tools Page
Ability to view raw database data
Added "about" screen - Tools Page

Known Issues:
This app is about 1MB. I used some pretty high-res icons that look great on the Touch Pro's VGA screen, but at the expense of file and memory footprint.

Existing Users: Upgrading from v0.1 to v0.2 - You MUST manually back up your database. Do this by backing up the GasTrackerDB.sdf file in your install directory (Usually \Program Files\GasTracker) to another location, uninstalling GasTracker, installing v0.2, then overwriting the GasTrackerDB.sdf file with your own.

Again, please be gentle, this is my first app that I've ever released :)

v0.2 - Added new features: Binary backup/restore, export/restore from XML, viewing of raw data
v0.1 - Initial Release

Like this app? Have a few extra bucks?Please Donate

guitardoc64 12-29-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Fuel MPG Tracker "GasTracker" v0.1- VGA Only

Aha! I got it first! I'm gonna see if it will work for QVGA, but if not I'll add the suggestion for QVGA support as well for wider device compatibility.
I'll give it a try and get back to you. Looks good in the screenies. Thanks for sharing.

mwheeler1982 12-29-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 607025)
Aha! I got it first! I'm gonna see if it will work for QVGA, but if not I'll add the suggestion for QVGA support as well for wider device compatibility.
I'll give it a try and get back to you. Looks good in the screenies. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I started out designing the app to work with VGA because I have a VGA device, and it doesn't scale back to QVGA gracefully. Maybe I can re-work the forms in QVGA and see how it scales UP to VGA at some point..

guitardoc64 12-29-2008 10:38 PM

Not working for QVGA. Rats! It does start, but gives an error message. Something about an assembly being missing. I uninstalled, and will wait for possible QVGA support.

mwheeler1982 12-29-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 607129)
Not working for QVGA. Rats! It does start, but gives an error message. Something about an assembly being missing. I uninstalled, and will wait for possible QVGA support.

Do you have .NET 3.5 installed as well as SQL CE 3.5? I tested it in VS2008's QVGA emulator and it worked fine; the icon placement just wasn't the best and some text got cut off.

themystx2 12-29-2008 10:43 PM

This app crashes my TP when I try to enter data.

mwheeler1982 12-29-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themystx2 (Post 607146)
This app crashes my TP when I try to enter data.

Did you install to local storage or the SD card? What's the error message? Do you have SQL CE installed?

mwheeler1982 12-29-2008 10:58 PM

I put the SQL CE 3.5 cab in the first post of this thread. Make sure you have that installed.. That is probably the cause of all your errors.

guitardoc64 12-30-2008 10:13 AM

Cool! I'll give it another shot. I already had .net 3.5 but didn't have SQL CE 3.5

aceracer24 12-30-2008 02:56 PM

Installed both cabs and seems to work really well. Thank you for this Application and nice work!