PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Is there app that creates acces point (not ad-hoc)?

Is there an app that turns your WM phone into an access point? There are many WiFi apps that turns your WM phone into an ad hoc connection, but none seems to turn your phone into an access point.

The reason that I need an access point, as opposed to an ad hoc connection, is that the Eye-Fi cards that I use with my camera only recognizes access points.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TheDempster is becoming a great contributor
Re: Is there app that creates acces point (not ad-hoc)?

upgrade the eye-fi cards and buy wmwifirouter:

WMWifiRouter + Eye-Fi Pro = Snap & Share, Anywhere.
(June, 2009) Today, Eye-Fi released their latest card, the Eye-Fi Pro, which works perfectly with WMWifiRouter and makes complete sense to use together. But what does it do, and why should you care?
Eye-Fi Pro turns any digital camera that supports SD card storage into a wireless camera that automatically uploads all the pictures you take (and videos you record) to any of over 25 popular sharing, printing, blogging and networking websites. However, this used to be only possible with standard Wi-Fi access points, but has now been improved to include Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi access points (like WMWifiRouter) with the release of the Eye-Fi Pro.
So what does that mean for you? You can now use your digital camera and snap pictures anywhere you want and with WMWifiRouter running on your phone, have them shared directly and without any effort to your favorite blog / photo website! (Including Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, SmugMug, Kodak Gallery, Evernote and more.) Imagine taking a beautiful picture while on vacation and have your friends being to see it within minutes without you having to do anything but snap the picture!
Customers in the United States and Canada can buy the Eye-Fi Pro directly from the Eye-Fi website for $149.99 USD. Customers in most of the rest of the world can order from B&H for the same price (excluding shipping). Please visit Eye-Fi Share Video 4GB Wireless SDHC Card - effortlessly save & share photos and videos | Eye-Fi if you'd like to learn more about the new Eye-Fi Pro.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDempster View Post
upgrade the eye-fi cards and buy wmwifirouter:

WMWifiRouter + Eye-Fi Pro = Snap & Share, Anywhere.
(June, 2009) Today, Eye-Fi released their latest card, the Eye-Fi Pro, which works perfectly with WMWifiRouter and makes complete sense to use together. But what does it do, and why should you care?
Eye-Fi Pro turns any digital camera that supports SD card storage into a wireless camera that automatically uploads all the pictures you take (and videos you record) to any of over 25 popular sharing, printing, blogging and networking websites. However, this used to be only possible with standard Wi-Fi access points, but has now been improved to include Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi access points (like WMWifiRouter) with the release of the Eye-Fi Pro.
So what does that mean for you? You can now use your digital camera and snap pictures anywhere you want and with WMWifiRouter running on your phone, have them shared directly and without any effort to your favorite blog / photo website! (Including Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, SmugMug, Kodak Gallery, Evernote and more.) Imagine taking a beautiful picture while on vacation and have your friends being to see it within minutes without you having to do anything but snap the picture!
Customers in the United States and Canada can buy the Eye-Fi Pro directly from the Eye-Fi website for $149.99 USD. Customers in most of the rest of the world can order from B&H for the same price (excluding shipping). Please visit Eye-Fi Share Video 4GB Wireless SDHC Card - effortlessly save & share photos and videos | Eye-Fi if you'd like to learn more about the new Eye-Fi Pro.
Your response doesn't answer my question. I'm aware of Eye-Fi Pro and it's ability to access ad-hoc network. But Eye-Fi Pro cards are much more expensive and will cost me close to $300 to replace the three Eye-Fi Connect X2 cards that I have. That's why I asked about an app that creates access point, not ad-hoc network.

A better solution than what you suggested would be to use the Direct Mode, which even my Eye-Fi Connect cards are capable of. It will not cost me any. The downside is my photos will now be stored in my iPad, instead of my home server, until I get home and upload them to my desktop server.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 AM
mariano3113

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
Is there an app that turns your WM phone into an access point? There are many WiFi apps that turns your WM phone into an ad hoc connection, but none seems to turn your phone into an access point.

The reason that I need an access point, as opposed to an ad hoc connection, is that the Eye-Fi cards that I use with my camera only recognizes access points.
I know it is a year late, but just to answer....

Yes (sorta) you can use a Windows Mobile Phone to create an Infrastructure (non-ad-hoc) Access Point. Caveat - You need to boot into XDAndroid (or any other supported Android-port) and use the built-in Portable Hotspot feature in Froyo or newer. (Bit of a hassle/workaround - but it is possible to use my TP2 as an Android/PS3 friendly Access Point....albeit when I am pulling at least 700+Mbps down)

You may have moved on to a new phone by now...but better late than never.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software