PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Improve Wi-Fi Speed! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49652)

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 02:35 PM

Improve Wi-Fi Speed!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a great tweak that speeds up your Wi-Fi.. It works by enabling the “g mode” of your device’s WLAN card (disabled by default on most devices). This hack has proven to improve Wi-Fi speeds by 3 times..

Iinstall the attached .CAB to the device, then soft reset. It will change the value of dot11SupportedRateMaskG from the default 4 (1 in some cases) to 8 inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMM\TNETWLN1\PARMS.
Note: Some devices don't have that structure in the registry. If it's your case, our cab will create it automatically.

I do not take credit for the creation of this.. I merely happened to find this at the site linked above and thought to post it here..

chris5h 12-18-2008 02:40 PM

Re: Improve Wi-Fi Speed!

Awesome. OOC, does this improve WMWiFiRouter performance at all?

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris5h (Post 586353)

It probably will.. It changes the Wi-Fi connection from "b" to "g".. That improves Wi-Fi speed, so thus possibly improving WM Wi-Fi Router...

bedoig 12-18-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Even at 802.11B speeds, the cell connection is your limiting factor, not your WiFi connection.

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 02:52 PM

But WM WiFi Router uses the Wi-Fi Radio to connect.. So improving the Wi-Fi speed should help right?

shaun0207 12-18-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586347)
Here is a great tweak that speeds up your Wi-Fi.. It works by enabling the “g mode” of your device’s WLAN card (disabled by default on most devices). This hack has proven to improve Wi-Fi speeds by 3 times..

Iinstall the attached .CAB to the device, then soft reset. It will change the value of dot11SupportedRateMaskG from the default 4 (1 in some cases) to 8 inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMM\TNETWLN1\PARMS.
Note: Some devices don't have that structure in the registry. If it's your case, our cab will create it automatically.

I do not take credit for the creation of this.. I merely happened to find this at the site linked above and thought to post it here..

can you out this cab into a Zip file for me? My job wont let us download cab files for some reason after our last firewall update last week.

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 586407)
can you out this cab into a Zip file for me? My job wont let us download cab files for some reason after our last firewall update last week.

Yeah.. Here it is..

shaun0207 12-18-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586416)
Yeah.. Here it is..

thanks, bro. I dont know why the new firewall is doing this. The last one didnt.

shaun0207 12-18-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586424)
No problem.. Happy to help a fellow 'Geeker! Hopefully they fix it :)

hopefully. I maybe the only one complaining.

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 586428)
hopefully. I maybe the only one complaining.

Were you able to test and install the .CAB? It seems to work..

shaun0207 12-18-2008 03:13 PM

i installed, but i cant test it here at work. The WiFi is locked down here. Security clearence and all/

darren.wlsn1 12-18-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586445)
Ah.. No good.. Please check in later and give us an update if it works..

so i guess this wasnt tested by you? ill wait on some feedback.

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 586453)
so i guess this wasnt tested by you? ill wait on some feedback.

Check the link I posted.. He gives some great feedback.. I take him as a credible source...

darren.wlsn1 12-18-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586456)
Check the link I posted.. He gives some great feedback.. I take him as a credible source...

im just saying, try it before you put it in your sig. i dont see why you wont try what you post. the kb hack didnt work to well and that source was credible or not?

hibby50 12-18-2008 03:27 PM

o god guys its a reg edit i never use wifi and installed it anyway

puff 12-18-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 586476)
o god guys its a reg edit i never use wifi and installed it anyway

lol, go hibby !!! personally i use Wifi when its' avail for FREE :D
and of couse when using WMWifiRouter, but lately i've been using bT PAN...

still if i remember (and have the time) might mess w/ this later on my newly cooked ROM

BigDiesel07 12-18-2008 04:23 PM

I would try it but I don't have access to Wi-Fi at home.. The results on DSL Reports give me enough proof to at least post it on PPC Geeks.. You are right though Darren.. I should really only promote stuff in my sig if I myself like it and have tested it.. Good lookin Darren

darren.wlsn1 12-18-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 586592)
I would try it but I don't have access to Wi-Fi at home.. The results on DSL Reports give me enough proof to at least post it on PPC Geeks.. You are right though Darren.. I should really only promote stuff in my sig if I myself like it and have tested it.. Good lookin Darren

im not trying to be a winnie, i love your threads.(most of them) i just want to know these have been tested and work. i also read the info. provided.

hood662 12-18-2008 04:57 PM

just installed will provide feedback in a few moments

edit: installed, it does enable g mode, what i did was take my home router and force it to only transmit a g signal, just to be sure I also forced it to transmit in wireless n mode as well and the htc touch pro did not connect. Speeds are improved, in both youtube as well as web browsing. Good Reg Edit, thanks.

elmerfudpucker 12-18-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 586407)

Same here bro, I feel your pain.:disgust:

jason25 12-18-2008 08:28 PM

alright, I flashed to JD's 3.0 TP ROM and had trouble getting a Wi-Fi connection. I got that figured out and tried this and holy s*!t it opens pages a ton quicker than before. It's probably 10x faster now.

MeatPopsicle 12-18-2008 08:47 PM

Holy crap what a difference that makes!!!

demonlordoftheround 12-18-2008 10:22 PM

Didn't notice a big improvement, but I'm pretty close to the router.

puff 12-18-2008 11:56 PM

Quote:

In regards to WMWifiRouter,

This obviously doesn't increase your MAX speed when using WMWifiRouter (as predicted) since your max speed is determined by coverage, signal, etc... however the response from the laptop thru the Wifi connection seems noticeably snappier. Perhaps its just a placebo effect, or could just be a really good tethering session. I have NOT done extensive testing. Ran a few speed tests and browsed a few emails, checked a few threads, read the latest posts on No2chem's blog, etc. This is what my comments are based on. Nothing more, Nothing less. So to sum it up. No increase on speeds, but seems to be snappier response.

WarChild 12-20-2008 04:24 AM

Thanks!

kaoss_11 12-20-2008 05:58 PM

its faster to me

hypeo 12-22-2008 02:13 AM

What effect does this have on battery life does anyone know?

emesbe 12-22-2008 09:24 AM

I have a Fuze. The specs say it supports b/g out of the box. But the registry string that this cab modifies is not present. So, do I install or not? Thanks.

hood662 12-22-2008 09:29 AM

install it! it will create the registry value.

emesbe 12-22-2008 09:44 AM

Will do. Thanks.

Fake_Death 12-22-2008 09:55 AM

thanks for this. im gonna try it out right now

esqueue 12-22-2008 11:36 AM

I did some before and after testing transferring files over the network from my computer to my TP. The file is a 47.3 megabyte avi file transferred to the temp folder in my phone. The times are exact to the second.

I used a network connection as it usually pushes the connection to the max. 802.11b has a max speed of 11megabits per second granted that there is no overhead. Of course actual speeds are slower but even 6 megabits per second is you shouldn't see any internet slowdown.

Before: 3 minutes and 3 seconds
After: 3 minutes and 2 seconds & 3 minutes 0 seconds

Hmmm, disappointing results. My personal tests say that it doesn't help improve speeds in anyway. That is insanely slow. that is actually slower than my internet. Something is bottlenecking the **** out of my speeds here.

EDIT: I just realized that my router was set to G prior to installing this regedit. (That's my my Axim x30 couldn't connect) Surprisingly the mogul connected as I haven't messed with my router for months. TP always connected to g just not g speeds.

EDIT2: I uninstalled the regedit and got 3 minutes and 1 second but decided to change wi-fi power mode to best performance and only yielded 2 minutes 59 seconds. Not worth the possible battery drain.

dr g 12-22-2008 11:42 PM

The Touch Pro seems to lack this key -- doesn't this mean that the WiFi adaptor has a different model number, and that installing this cab/creating the key does nothing?

BigDiesel07 12-23-2008 07:25 AM

Not sure Doc.. I'll try sending the creator of this a message.. I know the guy uses a Touch Pro, but I know that doesnt mean anything...

tx_jaycee 12-23-2008 05:06 PM

Could you please post the original XDA links for this and the SD card tweak?

Edit: Never mind was acting like a Noob and I saw the original posted links.

Mr. X 12-23-2008 06:00 PM

this tweak is absolutely useless for devices that are not a Touch HD or share the guys crippled wifi driver. i proved this in his original article and the writer has since abandoned the article and has not come back to even thank me for clarifying this for him and the users. its useless tweak. out wifi drivers already operate at FULL speed. the guy who made this tweak was just running a device where the rom manufacturer crippled the driver. its hardly epic and ground breaking.

Mr. X 12-23-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr g (Post 594664)
The Touch Pro seems to lack this key -- doesn't this mean that the WiFi adaptor has a different model number, and that installing this cab/creating the key does nothing?

100% correct the cab points to a driver only the touch HD uses.

psiphi 12-23-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 596377)
this tweak is absolutely useless for devices that are not a Touch HD or share the guys crippled wifi driver. i proved this in his original article and the writer has since abandoned the article and has not come back to even thank me for clarifying this for him and the users. its useless tweak. out wifi drivers already operate at FULL speed. the guy who made this tweak was just running a device where the rom manufacturer crippled the driver. its hardly epic and ground breaking.

Thanks for clairifing...

nico4k 12-23-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 596377)

the proper place in the Touch Pro should be this: you must add the registry entry to TNETW12511\PARMS instead of TNETWLN1\PARMS.
TNETW12511 IS THE CORRECT PLACE TO PUT THIS...BUT I HAVE NOT TESTED THE SPEED DIFFERENCE YET...IF SOMEONE CAN TRY IT OUT??
(i guess you can know if you have Comcast cable or faster Bandwidth to see if it really works).

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMM\TNETW12511\PARMS
you can test the speed also by copying a file from a shared folder (laptop/pc connected to the wifi router too) before and after the tweak to see if there is a difference in the copy process.

BigDiesel07 12-24-2008 12:36 AM

I hope somebody can try out Nico's idea and report in with what they find.. I have no access to Wi-Fi, so I can't...