PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

otbox21 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Somewhat Novice...should I even mess with AKU 3.5??

I'm def somewhat of a novice...never done registry tweaks.

A tech guy with a PPC at Spint told me about Clean and Simple, and it looks and sounds awesome, but I have two questions, if anyone can help.

1) Should I even mess with it...I see a lot of posts about little problems here and there (like problems with bluetooth), that people fix with their own registry tweaks....I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it, so would I be biting off more than I can chew?

2) I'm using a MacBook, which connects to my PPC using the Missing Synch...when I tried to open the Clean and Simple.exe (the Sprint one) on my Mac, nothing happens. Is there a way to pull off installation on a Mac or should I use a PC to install it, and then attempt to sych it to my Mac

3) How the hell did all of you get so good at this stuff?

4) Thanks.

Device: Sprint PPC 6700
Old 05-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor
Re: Somewhat Novice...should I even mess with AKU 3.5??

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbox21
I'm def somewhat of a novice...never done registry tweaks.

A tech guy with a PPC at Spint told me about Clean and Simple, and it looks and sounds awesome, but I have two questions, if anyone can help.

1) Should I even mess with it...I see a lot of posts about little problems here and there (like problems with bluetooth), that people fix with their own registry tweaks....I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it, so would I be biting off more than I can chew?

2) I'm using a MacBook, which connects to my PPC using the Missing Synch...when I tried to open the Clean and Simple.exe (the Sprint one) on my Mac, nothing happens. Is there a way to pull off installation on a Mac or should I use a PC to install it, and then attempt to sych it to my Mac

3) How the hell did all of you get so good at this stuff?

4) Thanks.

Device: Sprint PPC 6700
OMG, Sprint techs are recommending this? Wow.

1) The idea behind Clean and Simple is that it should be just like installing the stock carrier ROM update, but better. You should be fine, and if you run into any show-stoppers, you can just reflash with your carrier's ROM update installer. It's totally reversible.

2) You really need to install via a PC. Not sure if Parallels would work or not.

3) I just did a lot of reading on the forums. All the info you need is right here. The real geniuses are the guys on the ROM team that put the Unified Kitchen together and made it easy for people like me to cook custom ROMs in the first place. All I did was apply Palm's philosophy of keeping it simple to Windows Mobile.

4) No problem! Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
LOL, I have actually talked to someone in the chat room that was recommended by a Sprint tech here in my own town.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 05-19-2007, 12:28 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

otbox21 is a n00b
Ah...the man himself

Well thank you Jeff...I've installed Clean and Simple via PC and it successfully synchs with my Mac, no problem.

Looks great...gonna have to take a while to poke around and see what I can do on this sleek package...

Any programs you love that can be fully utilized now?

Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Jeff Kirvin is becoming a great contributor
Not sure what you mean by "fully utilize", but here are the apps I can't do without:

eReader
Pocket Player
TCPMP
Total Commander
SKTools
Live Search
HandyShopper
Spb Diary
Spb Phone Suite
Spb Weather

Of course, those are all already in ROM on my personal build...
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

otbox21 is a n00b
No Modem?

Hey I'm really loving the build, but I'm having trouble webbrowsing, I just keep getting "no modem at above number, to change your settings..."

Is this common?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Alltel, now VZW

love4stupidppl is a n00b
I installed the 3.5 update and didn't really notice any big differences. But as far as the web browser issue, have you configured your device to use the GRPS function?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD
Carrier: None- unlocked

trendsbze is a n00b
I really envy this forum. Maybe someone can help. Do you know if there is any place where I can find an AKU 3.5 for my Eten G500+. iF THE ANSWER IS NO, can you recommend a place or person that can do it, even for a fee.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Lurker

moravec is a n00b
Hi there... just to clarify - ROM updates work fine under Parallels. Create an XP image, install Activesync if you need to, and you'll be able to flash and reflash without problems. I'm running Colonels' 3.5 AKU on my HTC Apache and have had zero issues with my Macbook. For what its worth, PAN internet connection sharing (which you'll need if you want to tether off your phone under 3.5) works on 10.4.9+ Macs as well, no Parallels needed.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks