PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   GPS Registry Hack or Tweak (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32153)

MOGUL USERZ 07-17-2008 01:09 AM

GPS Registry Hack or Tweak

I've been looking around so forgive me if this information is out there and I just haven't found it or if it is even available. My question is, is there a registry hack or tweak to open the ports in the external GPS that is on the Mogul? I know I could update my rom, but as it stands I have my Mogul as I want it except for the fact that I don't have the GPS and don't want to update due to all the complaints that I've been hearing from others just getting the rom to install correctly or what gets screwed up after the install is done. So does the external GPS work only off of the update of the newer radio on the newer roms, or is there a hack around it to make it run off of what I'm currently using which is the stock rom with alot of Mod's...Thanks](*,)

firetaz39 07-19-2008 07:30 PM

Re: GPS Registry Hack or Tweak

I too am in the same boat. Want to merely enable the GPS, install google maps or MS Live Search or both and leave the rest of the original ROM alone. I realize that there are many tweaks and features in the builds that many have spent hours perfecting (nearly) and that is greatly appreciated. All I want and need is a simple turn on the GPS One chip withouta lot of mods to my Verizon XV6900.

It seems in my browsing of the contents of the various drivers in the download sections here that there are dll files with the GPS feature's name all over it. I will stay tuned to your post and see if anyone bites...

shaggylive 07-19-2008 08:33 PM

@ MOGUL USERZ
I assume you have the "stock" rom from before 3.35.
I know it's a pain to re-set up stuff, but you could trial spb backup or sprite backup.
to get gps you do need a 3.x rom.. the latest is 3.56 and yes it seams buggy as it is wm6.1.
3.35 is wm6.0 and there are lots of people running this just fine.

@ firetaz39
your in the same ocean ,but different fleet's lol (trying to be funny)
to my knowledge verizon hasn't released a rom with standalone gps for any device 6800 or 6900 (I could be wrong)

the gps function was specifically disabled by the carriers, until they released the newer rom (sprint, alltell, but not verizon to my knowledge) so the only way to access it would be to "break" the carriers block, meaning flashing different radio/rom.

just a quick braindump to try and help, please correct me if I misspoke.

azbobs 07-21-2008 01:27 PM

Well this does suck, I also cannot use the external GPS to get my GPS positioning with Live or Google. I have a ALL-TELL PPC6800 and the sales person told me it would work fine, he is correct for a $9.99 fee per month! I was told it would work at no cost only would cost if I selected one of All-Tell's software packs. So, they lied and I do have 30 days to take this phone back. The suck part is I like the phone. So does this mean that spint does not charge for the external GPS postioning.

Cheers,
Robert

rickyrecaro 07-21-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbobs (Post 355233)
Well this does suck, I also cannot use the external GPS to get my GPS positioning with Live or Google. I have a ALL-TELL PPC6800 and the sales person told me it would work fine, he is correct for a $9.99 fee per month! I was told it would work at no cost only would cost if I selected one of All-Tell's software packs. So, they lied and I do have 30 days to take this phone back. The suck part is I like the phone. So does this mean that spint does not charge for the external GPS postioning.

Cheers,
Robert

i have alltel and i have free gps on my phone. but i hava data package on my line, i am running a a custom rom/with a diferent radio then stock my signature has my setup need help hit me up. but WARNING what i have done will ruin you phone...:violent2: lol just giving you a heads up (you can find me on yahoo or just pm me here if you need help)

rickyrecaro 07-21-2008 01:56 PM

ps. you might wanna try this method before you void the warranty.. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27180

Stevevo 07-22-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbobs (Post 355233)

Cheers,
Robert

I have Alltel and the HTC 6900 and you don't have to pay for the GPS to be on. Just make sure you have flashed the new rom and then you have to do the hacks that are in the other postings. Just search for the GPS Alltel and it will tell you how. I do suggest that you get the Sprint Backup and install before you start as it will give you something to go back to if you don't do it right. You won't hurt your phone if you have the back up to save your work that is on the phone now. If you don't care about the data or programs or any other thing you have done on the phone since you got it all you have to do is Hard Reset if you do it wrong and it will go back to the default as it came from the factory. It really isn't that hard. Good luck and it does work with Google map but I have had to prime it first with GPS Viewer.