PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Older than Dirt!
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: sprint

Thundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the communityThundaar2000 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Why does this help my Titan Memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00b4s7eve View Post
Update:
Better performance and speed when I changed these values.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt]
"ReplStoreCacheSize"=16194
and
Glyph cache to 64k
I just used Schap's Advanced config to change the glyph cache.
Hey!
What does the glyph cache do or what is it for?
No one seems to know... I even asked on schap's thread!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO
Threadstarter

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I believe the glyph cache is a cache for various visual elements as opposed to data and files.
I don't know exactly what it is but I do know a couple things about it as others have described it:
-Some refer to it helping fonts, or simply change the name to font cache.
-The highest setting that is recommended for this device is 32K. (Mine performs optimally at 128K, even though it often will slow down pocketIE with BIG pages)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

sc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIPsc00b4s7eve is a VIP

Found aa bunch of partial answers here on MSDN - hey what-do-you-know?...free MS Help! I didn't haave to borrow the freakin library of congress after all.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms885403.aspx
Well I'm interested and kindaa getting into this.
Anyone want to start a generalized "Developers 101" thread? (aka: you might want to be fluent in ____ programming language, Have this MS building program, and these kits, etc.)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Well I have been runing these reg hacks for a few days now and see a difference in how fast apps open/close and in general screen changes. But I also see that my memory utilization, which I always kept hovering around 65-68% is now steadily going up to around 74-77%, with nothing else running (even after a quick Oxios fix).

I don't remember installing anything new, but it has been a long week...
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Interesting. Are you talking about your active "program memory," or your overall "Storage Memory?" I supose that the increase in Glyph cache and filter cache could be taking up more space while, effectively, indexing what its filtering and caching...
But I hope it's an improvement overall.

I've found mine creeping right back up to about 20MB when nothing is running.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Interesting. Are you talking about your active "program memory," or your overall "Storage Memory?" I supose that the increase in Glyph cache and filter cache could be taking up more space while, effectively, indexing what its filtering and caching...
But I hope it's an improvement overall.

I've found mine creeping right back up to about 20MB when nothing is running.
Nope, I am talking about Active Program Memory. Though at this point it is moot for me, as I have hard reset my Titan at least 4 times in the past two days, as well as load 2 different roms. My green send button stopped working so first I wanted to make sure that it was not rom related, then tried a different CDMA dialer that had a send button in the skin, which FUBAR'd my phone all up. Even after uninstalling the dialer S2U2 was locking up on every incoming call.

I'll try these again in a few days, when my replacement Titan gets here, and let you know how it is doing then.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

So... Here's the latest:
I ended up tweaking around the HKLM-System-Storage Manager settings WAAY too much and my phone hard reset itself! haha.
I should have just left it with the settings I originally posted cause they made it wicked fast.
Now I decided to go for the newer 19588 Kitchen on my Titan and it's alright. I mean these settings increased how responsive my phone is with this kitchen too but we all know No2Chem adds his own tweaks and edits to his builds. Frankly, No2's build is way better.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Why does this help my Titan Memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
Just to put it out in more conventional values, the OPs values are in hexadecimal, these are the same exact values - just in decimal...

The following are dwords in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS]
"CacheSize"=8096
"EnableCache"=1
"BufferSize"=256
"DataCacheSize"=2048
"EnableCacheWarm"=1
"EnableDataCacheWarm"=1
"EnableFatCacheWarm"=1
"EnableWriteBack"=1
"Flags"=65602

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\f sreplxfilt]
"ReplStoreCacheSize"=8096

I had only:
The following are dwords in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS]
"CacheSize"=0
"EnableCache"=1
"Flags"=68

And nothing else in a (i think) stock config in no2 5067 kitch w/ the perf tweaks, I'm gonna try these for a day or so and see what I think before I try out the latest and greastest from no2chem. I'm curious what these are set at in his pre-release2 that just went up?
Alright then. I was skeptical at first. Most memory management tweaks do nothing or just use more memory and make the device speed up, but do not provide any improvement in out of memory errors. The tweaks above (mainly the "CacheSize"=8096 and "ReplStoreCacheSize"=8096" provided a pretty good speed bump (on my Sampsons WM5 Rom with GPS/BT based on No2chems 5067). I turned the "ReplStoreCacheSize"=4096 and saw a decent maintanence of speed with less memory used up. Dropped from 17 megs to about 14-15 megs after running the device for a couple of hours.

But here is where things get interesting. Skyfire, Picsel, opera 9.5... all my memory hog programs (with out of memory errors on No2chem Roms at 15megs) run fine. Memory drops to 4-5 megs on high image intense website, but no out of memory errors yet. These are the first speed tweaks that seem to improve memory handling as reported. WOW the device seems almost perfectly stable. Will continue to test the abilities, but in the single day of testing, works great !!! Highly recommended.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Great News!
I was waiting to hear that!

Did you use all of them? or just the ones you wanted?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

nmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnmhusa is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Cool Re: Why does this help my Titan Memory?

Quote:
Great News!
I was waiting to hear that!

Did you use all of them? or just the ones you wanted?
At first I used only the cache settings (i.e the ones with existing Dwords in the registry). I am now testing the complete set. Playing with the numbers to see what changes occur. The speed increase so far is more apparent than with an increase in pagefile from 4 to 8 megs.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks