PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Install WinMo on non-windows phones? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=131643)

teamgood 08-15-2010 10:24 PM

Install WinMo on non-windows phones?

With all the customization and hacking that goes on around here I was wondering if anyone has been able to get Windows Mobile on a non-OEM Windows Mobile phone, i.e. LG Env Touch, etc...what are the fundamental differences that make this possible/impossible?

m3rcury 11-10-2010 02:43 PM

Re: Install WinMo on non-windows phones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamgood (Post 1912337)
With all the customization and hacking that goes on around here I was wondering if anyone has been able to get Windows Mobile on a non-OEM Windows Mobile phone, i.e. LG Env Touch, etc...what are the fundamental differences that make this possible/impossible?

I dont think that would work unless someone were to completley rewrite winmo code

AZTECHKA 11-10-2010 02:46 PM

License first off... Then hardware requirements. Not sure but I assume that non smartphones like the Envy touch are very underpowered. If you really want winmo and you are on a budget. I would reccomend finding a legacy phone like the HTC Touch. No physical keyboard but you can still run most apps on it. It's a great little phone.
p.

sanubari 11-19-2010 10:04 AM

ijin koleksi bro...................

demonlordoftheround 11-19-2010 10:56 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

coleslaw?

money711 11-19-2010 06:33 PM

ok I have a question regarding this same subject.

If windows mobile devices can run android, ubuntu, and now possibly the HD2 can run WP7 can an android device run windows mobile.

Is coding and licenses stoping those new android devices from running window mobile?

firetiger 11-30-2010 10:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but winmo is not open source

jabu 03-31-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firetiger (Post 2005026)
Correct me if I'm wrong but winmo is not open source

You are correct. And the license is QUITE spendy.

mlin 03-31-2011 03:44 PM

Pish posh. HD2 owners don't have a WP7 license but they have the os.

Tapa tapa tapa

jabu 03-31-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by money711 (Post 1999213)
ok I have a question regarding this same subject.

If windows mobile devices can run android, ubuntu, and now possibly the HD2 can run WP7 can an android device run windows mobile.

Is coding and licenses stoping those new android devices from running window mobile?

Look at it as if the device was a PC. You can try to install any OS on any hardware, but without drivers none of the hardware will work with it. To build WM6.5 for an old device (ex. Apache) you have to pull the drivers from a working WM build and create a WM6.5 platform with those drivers. This is just a simplified explanation, but it's basically how it works.

Another example:
I had a customer request Vista Ultimate installed on his PC. It wouldn't work because there were no Vista drivers for his old hardware. I ended up taking XP and Win2k drivers and "making them fit". It ran (not well) in the end.

jabu 03-31-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 2077588)
Pish posh. HD2 owners don't have a WP7 license but they have the os.

Tapa tapa tapa

The OEM pays for the license. The Windows Embedded kit costs $1000, then the OEM pays $20 per device with the build. That's why some devices don't get OS upgrades, because it costs too much for them to invest in old hardware.

mlin 03-31-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabu (Post 2077593)
The OEM pays for the license. The Windows Embedded kit costs $1000, then the OEM pays $20 per device with the build. That's why some devices don't get OS upgrades, because it costs too much for them to invest in old hardware.

I'm the case of PCs you have to pay for a new os. An upgrade is less expensive than a full copy but you still have to buy it. HD2 owners aren't paying for anything. Are phones handled differently from computers?

Tapa tapa tapa

jabu 03-31-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 2077620)
I'm the case of PCs you have to pay for a new os. An upgrade is less expensive than a full copy but you still have to buy it. HD2 owners aren't paying for anything. Are phones handled differently from computers?

Tapa tapa tapa

That's what I'm saying. The OEM pays for it. So if an upgrade is issued for "devicex" by "carrierx", then "carrierx" pays $20 * qty of "devicex" to Microsoft.

Dr.8820 03-31-2011 04:31 PM

the leo was the last winmo device, by far the best one they made...but it doesn't beat the schubert :).

jabu 03-31-2011 04:32 PM

Phone are handled differently. The drivers for the hardware aren't readily available to the public. The only way we get them is ripping them from current ROMs. Windows CE is designed to be very specific as far as hardware, Android is designed to be universal. It is possible to get Android onto a WM device, it is MUCH harder to go the other way.

mlin 03-31-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabu (Post 2077630)
That's what I'm saying. The OEM pays for it. So if an upgrade is issued for "devicex" by "carrierx", then "carrierx" pays $20 * qty of "devicex" to Microsoft.

But isn't it the case that since the HD2 didn't get the official update from MS that the OEM did not party for that update and thus no one paid for it? In which case, installing wp7 on an hd2 is no different than installing it on an evo

Tapa tapa tapa

jabu 03-31-2011 05:41 PM

Correct, no official update means no licensing has been paid.