PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: verizon

jabson is keeping up the good workjabson is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More WM6.5 questions - Please help!

I know there have been many a discussion - is it worth upgrading from WM5 to WM6.5. I would like to, but not being very savy in this field, there are some concerns I have before I brick a 350 dollar investment. I can't seem to get any answeres, and its frustrating.

Here is the story. I have a Tomahawk WM6.5 'whatever' from XDA, and from my understanding, its very cool. Want to upgrade my iPaq hx2495b running Windows CE 5.0 (WM5?).

Understand the basics on installing it, required preboot operations, and a whole bunch of other things I just dont understand in order to upgrade.

Fine, instructions aren't too detailed, but aren't too confusing either. However, the one question that no one seems to want to answer is this:

If I screw up, can I return to the previous installed WM5? If so, how.

Think of me as a 40 year old (I am) whos last experience with programming (scripting, or whatever its called now) was back when Basic, Extended Basic, and COBOL were the only languanges out there.

Can't seem to get any answeres at XDA (surprising), or any other site. Willing to see if you guys and gals can help an ol' codger!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fascinate
Carrier: VZW

Hawks2005 is keeping up the good workHawks2005 is keeping up the good work
Re: More WM6.5 questions - Please help!

I recently upgraded from WM6.1 and it is not as daunting of a task as you might think and it is quite hard to brick your phone. The first thing you need to do is find the right "unlocker" for YOUR phone, wherever you find that there should be instructions on how to do it. Once your phone is unlocked, go into bootloader mode(power+camera+stylus or however its done with your phone) then open the "RUU" and run. If you do make a mistake along the way it is very easy to revert back to your original OS. Searching google, XDA or here you will be able to find the unlocker, upgraded ROM and original ROM. Hope this was of some help.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks Hawks2005, Would that be Seahawks? If so, lets hope the new coach can do something! Anyway, its not a phone, its a pocketPC. Got some info from XDA finally, so looks like I will go through with it. Any idea on how long it takes?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabson View Post
Thanks Hawks2005, Would that be Seahawks? If so, lets hope the new coach can do something! Anyway, its not a phone, its a pocketPC. Got some info from XDA finally, so looks like I will go through with it. Any idea on how long it takes?
Pete Carroll can't do much with that team, I don't know why he took that job...

flashing to a 6.5 ROM generally takes like 5 minutes (after you have everything downloaded)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks Orange, and we will see, not a big football fan, hockey is my thing.

So I will give it a go this afternoon. Will see what happens!

One more thing, I have several WM5 programs that also state they work on WM6.1 devices also, think they will work with WM6.5? The one thing that may make me go back to WM5 is my Androkkid UI, its fantastic, but the developer said it has not been tested on WM6.5 devices. So, hopefully it will work!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fascinate
Carrier: VZW

Hawks2005 is keeping up the good workHawks2005 is keeping up the good work

Yes, it is the Seahawks.
Pete Carroll wont be the big difference maker, John Schneider is the one that will turn this team around. I gotta say though, I wasn't too excited about Carroll at the beginning, but I'm starting to come around! Anyway..Go Hawks!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks