PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
where and how to get/make more icons?

I'm sure this is a basic question but I can't figure this out... I need some icons for associating with items in the Resco Today plugin for example. The ones I get on the built-in list are kind of weird (they never look like the things I need) and there are relatively few of them. Can someone tell me where (and how) to download a sizeable collection of useful icons (ideally, freeware) or how to make them? If that's not available/practical, then: what size/format file should I make and where do I put it on the device so that it appears in the list of icons that can be associated with files? I'm using WM6.5 on an HTC Imagio (a high-res touchscreen).

thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited by mlevin77; 01-01-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started
Re: where and how to get/make more icons?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=102636
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Eat Static
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

Check my signature...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog54 View Post
Check my signature...
I've downloaded the .zip file indicated on your signature, and unpacked the .ico files, but where do I put them on my device so that they become available choices when assigning icons to apps (in Resco Today plugin for example)?

thanks!

Mike
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Eat Static

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

I don't think there is a quick and simple way. If there is, someone please chime in.

First you are going to have to convert the icons into a .dll. You can use this free program...

http://www.becyhome.de/becyicongrabb...iption_eng.htm

From there you have to assign the icons to the shortcuts you want. You can do that with this program, but it's not free, $9.00.

http://s-k-tools.com/index.html?sksmgr/m_sksmgr.html

I don't know if there are any free programs to do this. I've never created my own shortcut icons, but once you figure out how the programs work it should be fairly easy to do.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
I don't think there is a quick and simple way. If there is, someone please chime in. First you are going to have to convert the icons into a .dll. You can use this free program...
http://www.becyhome.de/becyicongrabb...iption_eng.htm
sorry, I think I'm missing something. What I want is to simply have these icons available as choices for apps that assign icons (e.g., Resco Today Plugin, which I already bought). Do you mean that for all these icon collections that people have for download, I have to make .dll's as in your link above? For example, to install the collection you refer to in your sig, that would be necessary? I ask because I don't have a Windows machine upon which to run that executable - I use a Mac. So your "Gigantic Icon Set" can't be used directly without running that dll making program?

thanks,

Mike
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Eat Static

Ok, are talking about changing the skin, ie the battery meter, etc, or do you want to change the icons of the programs you add to the quick launcher? I don't remember there being a feature to change individual program icons. I know you can change the skin, there's a tutorial on the Resco site somewhere.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Ok, are talking about changing the skin, ie the battery meter, etc, or do you want to change the icons of the programs you add to the quick launcher? I don't remember there being a feature to change individual program icons. I know you can change the skin, there's a tutorial on the Resco site somewhere.
What I want is really very simple - no skins, only icons of programs in the quick launchger. Resco Today plugin lets me put a few commonly-used apps onto a tabbed section of the Today screen. Each of them has an icon and I can change it - Resco gives me a list of "standard" icons that I can choose for any given app on their plugin. But this standard list is very feeble - short and has weird icons. What I want is simply to expand the list and have more to choose from. I see tons of icon collections advertised, and I'm assuming it has to be simple to add them to a device so that when a list of "Choose the icon" comes up, they show up in the list. Am I missing something?

thanks,

Mike
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Eat Static

I used the plugin a long time ago and don't remember that feature, so I downloaded and installed it. Unfortunately it expired on me after only five minutes. I still didn't see what you are referring to. If there are icons you can replace then the only thing I can suggest is to look in the Resco folder using file explorer and see if you can find where they are located and copy the appropriate file type, ie .ico or .png.

Maybe if you posted a screen shot of the menu where it allows you to change icons I would be able to help some more.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
I used the plugin a long time ago and don't remember that feature, so I downloaded and installed it. Unfortunately it expired on me after only five minutes. I still didn't see what you are referring to. If there are icons you can replace then the only thing I can suggest is to look in the Resco folder using file explorer and see if you can find where they are located and copy the appropriate file type, ie .ico or .png.
Maybe if you posted a screen shot of the menu where it allows you to change icons I would be able to help some more.
ok thanks. Screenshot attached. And, aside from this particular program (Resco Today plugin), what do people do with the "Giant Icon set" files - after they download them, can't you just stick them in some folder where the OS expects potential icons to live?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen003.jpg (125.2 KB, 10 views) Click for barcode!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks