PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

lizardbrains is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow E-mail error is really annoying

Hi, all! I have an HTC Mogul. I have it set up to push my e-mail through the e-mail application. It works just fine - pushes my e-mail in a timely fashion, etc. BUT every couple minutes it gives an error message:

Quote:
Incoming E-mail Password
Check user name and password and try again.
The screen has the boxes with my user name and passwords already entered. I can edit those, it has a "save password" check box, and I can press OK or Cancel. I always just hit cancel, and go on with whatever I was doing. It still pushes my e-mail just fine. If I hit "ok" or anything else besides cancel, it just keeps giving me the error message (above) with the same screen. Then eventually it gives me another error message saying:

Quote:
Cannot connect to the incoming mail server. Be certain that your login information is correct, then try again to send and receive mail.
Yet it eventually does retrieve my e-mail.

On a side note... When I am manually sending an e-mail, it will give me the "cannot connect" error message, but then eventually (in 5-15 minutes or so) it does get it sent.

I don't mind, since the e-mail function does indeed work. But it's really annoying to get interrupted in everything I'm doing all the time with the error screen. I just hit cancel, and continue whatever I was doing, but it truly is annoying.

BTW my DH got a Mogul at the same time as I did, and his does not do this. I don't care to return my Mogul b/c it would be very inconvenient (long drive, big hassle, etc.).

Am I the only one with this problem? Can this be resolved? Or is it something I just have to deal with? Please advise! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Some things I've tried:
~ Used a different e-mail address, and it worked just fine. Nice. But I want to use the e-mail address I actually use!
~ Changed my password on the account. Still does the same errors.
~ I do wonder if this has to do with my e-mail address having a dot in it... but why would that cause any error?

Last edited by lizardbrains; 08-31-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: E-mail error is really annoying

Welcome to Geekdom! Have you tried a soft reset? I was experiencing the same issue w/ my 700WX and a soft reset would take care of it for a while. When I flashed a custom ROM, the problem went away.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i had same problem, did hard reset for other problem and setup email info again and it went away. i would try to re enter email info.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

phazed is just getting started

This isn't going to be all that helpful..but it sounds like maybe the phone times out waiting for the authentication server to respond when attempting a "push". Most likely the phone's data connection?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

lizardbrains is a n00b

I've done lots of soft resets (for different hacks/tweaks/apps I've installed), and it hasn't affected it at all.

I've done a hard reset. And I've even updated my Mogul and installed the new WM6.1. Didn't change the occurence of the error msg.

I've tried deleting off the push, soft-reseting, waiting a few days, and then putting my e-mail back on it. Still didn't work (though it was nice not getting the error messages for those few days that I went without e-mail on my Mogul!).

Timing out... that is interesting to me. I ought to try having it do my other e-mail address again, but last time I tried that I didn't get the error messages for the other e-mail address.

Hmmm... maybe I should try to have DH push my e-mail onto his Mogul and see if it happens.

Keep the ideas coming - I really appreciate it! (And thanks for the welcome! The folks over at Brighthand refer to this site periodically, so I've enjoyed lurking here a bit lately!)
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development