PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia II
Carrier: Verizon

buckyswider is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ActiveSync Help!- I think I lost my phonebook...

Hi, I think I've deleted my 500+ phone contacts. Help!

Got my XV6800 on Friday. VZ transferred my phone book from my old phone to the XV6800, All well and good.

Tried to set up outlook sync with work. Used the exchange server from my outlook setup, and it didn't work. No big deal, will let my corp IT guys walk me through it.

Then I tried to un-do my outlook set up. It won't let me remove the servername- if I clear it out, the 'next' button is grayed. So I go an uncheck all four of the outlook items in the activesync config on my 6800. Gives me a warning- "all synced mail will be deleted". Not a problem. Haven't synced any mail yet. Another warning- "All synced contacts will be deleted". Again, not a problem (or so I thought).

Turns out it deleted all my phonebook contacts.

I had active-synced with my PC already, but I'm unsure whether those phonebook contacts went to my PC or not.

Can somebody help point me in the right direction? Is my only recourse to take both new and old devices back to VZ to have them re-copy the contacts?? If these are *not* backed up to my PC with activesync, is there a way in the future to make sure I do have a local (i.e. at home) copy of my phonebook contacts??

Thanks ! I eventually want to get to flash a new radio/ROM with GPS & Rev-A...not getting off on the right foot here!

Bucky
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff
Re: ActiveSync Help!- I think I lost my phonebook...

so you still have the old device...

does it still power up?

If it does you could use pimbackup to create a backup file of all your contacts. Just install on old device make the backup file. Save it to sd card. Install it on new device. Then restore from the file on the sd card..

Its a good program to have anyway. I have mine set up to make a backup 3 times a week deleting the old backup file each time. Works excellent.

Get it here.
http://pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=1806

Also on why it deleted your contacts. You must have it syncing whatever is on the server. Meaning that there must have not been any contacts on the server. Then instead of it copying all contacts from phone to server it copied from the server to the phone. There is a setting somewhere on that in active sync.

Last edited by reeg420; 03-02-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

buckyswider is a n00b

Thanks! My old device is a phone though, not a smartphone/PPC.

I was able to screen-scrape from backup assistant and paste into an excel file. Now I've just got to figure out how to massage that data on my PC, and then how to get it back onto the XV6800....
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff

oh its probably easier to have verizon do it then...If its free and not out of your way...Just back it up when you have it done in case of it happening again.

There is also a program to edit your contacts on your pc..Not sure of the name though. Ive seen it somewhere. That would be easier if you have to input manually instead of messing around with the ppc's keyboard with all that typing.

Last edited by reeg420; 03-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

buckyswider is a n00b

Yeah, I think you're right...thanks.

I did install pimbackup and brought a backup file back to my PC to check it out. If necessary, I can massage the data I got from backupassistant, put it back into the .pib file, copy it back to the device, and restore that file. But that will be a long arduous task...VZ is the best option for now...

thanks again.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

buckyswider is a n00b

OK, crisis averted...VZ re-did the xfer for me. Took the guy a while, though...he couldn't get to the bluetooth config on their 'copy' machine...the bt dongle was plugged into their other copier...

Thanks for the pimpackup tip....I'll be running that daily with a sync of the b/u directory to my home PC....and to thence external storage...then finally to an offsite mozy backup!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Your phonebook is probably in outlook.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development