PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC "Snap"
Carrier: Sprint

matt314159 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reassign keys on a bluetooth keyboard?

Hey, folks, I came up empty on a search so I'm just going to jump right in here with a question and see if anybody knows a solution.

Hardware:
I have a Touch Pro 2 on Sprint w/ WinMo 6.5
and a Targus, Bluetooth 10-key keypad. (Product on Amazon)

I have the keypad paired up via bluetooth and working just fine for all the standard 10-key functions.

My use for this 10-key is for expedited entry of ISBN numbers of textbooks. It works fine unless the ISBN has an "X" in it, which I believe is the only nonstandard character I'll be coming across in using this keypad.

What I'm wondering is this: Is there any way (via a registry tweak or something similar) I can reassign the "*" key on the bluetooth keypad to input an "X" instead? It seems like if it is possible, it should be a fairly simple process...for all intents and purposes, my 10-key bluetooth keypad should operate just like a standard bluetooth keyboard, sans alpha keys. So if there's a way to reassign keys on a bluetooth keyboard, I'm all ears. I hope it can be done, as this will end up being a perfect solution for my needs.

I put this in the windows mobile dev section because the solution shouldn't be device-specific, I'm sure that any device with windows mobile and a bluetooth keyboard would be able to do the same thing, if it's possible at all.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution I'm all ears and you'll forever have my utmost respect and gratitude. Thanks in advance,

-Matt

*edit*....doing some more searching, I've now installed AE Keymap, but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly how to set things up. Is this what I need? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm guessing I need to download and customize a layout file, but not sure. I'm going to keep reading and searching and dinking around with things, I'll post back if I solve my own problem.

Last edited by matt314159; 08-19-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Reassign keys on a bluetooth keyboard?

ugh, this is getting frustrating. it should be so simple. I have AEkmap installed, and although I think I have everything set up correctly, it's just not working! this is maddening!

Key's I want to remap:

I want the "00" button on my 10-key (0033) to input the "x" (0058)

here's what I have in my AEK file:

Code:
Layout ScoutPal Layout
Hint ScoutPal
Key 0033 c0058
Am I even remotely close? It kept saying "invalid <Normal> code operation" until I found out that putting the 'c' in front of the normal code cleared that error.

I don't know, I'm spinning my wheels so much on something that should take someone 2 seconds who knows what they're doing. I, clearly, do not.

Last edited by matt314159; 08-20-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Reassign keys on a bluetooth keyboard?

I'm truly sorry for the triple-post folks, but is there anyone who can steer me in the right direction in assigning these new buttons in aekmap? i swear I thought i had the config file set up properly, I tried all kinds of different things, but they either errored out (which is great because then at least I know it won't work) but the ones that it accepted, don't seem to change a thing on the bluetooth keyboard. I'm figuring either 1) it's not possible after all or 2) I'm still not doing it right. (which one do you think is more likely, I'm going to go toward the latter).

Is there a better forum i should have put this in? I'd be glad to "report" myself and ask a mod to move it if I've stumbled into unwelcome territory. I just feel like the answer is lying there just out of my reach, and it should be so simple! I do have a small amount of programming experience (very small, a semester of java) but at least I understand some concepts like variables, etc. This has to be so simple!

*edit*

Yay, got it fixed, and, indeed, it was quite easy. I think the problem I was having before was that the "00" key on the 10-key isn't re-assignable. I changed it to reassign the "-" key instead and it worked fine. Thus:
Code:
Layout ScoutPal Layout
Hint ScoutPal
Key 00BD c0058
easy as pie.

Last edited by matt314159; 08-23-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development