PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Weekly Questions & Answers

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: T-mobile

v8vogue is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Downgrade HTC Windows Phone 7?

Hi Chaps,

I recently changed to an HTC Titan running WP7.5 Mango from and HD2 on WM6.5. I might as well have bought an Iphone... I have to use third party software to add items.
It's crazy, yes it's got fast internet browsing but there is no direct access to the inbuilt storage, no drag and drop, no actual MS office on the phone.

I know what you guys are going to say, why did I buy it, well I thought WP7 was the next version of Windows Mobile and how wrong I was. It's the B@stard child of a one night stand between Bill gates and Steve Jobs. I did find a registry tweak that will allow me to drop photos directly onto the phone but that's it. It's locked up tighter than a ducks arse!

I suppose in a few months a dev team will have a jailbreak available so it looks like I'm stuck with this white elephant for a while longer. Anyway I digress, So what's the chance of a downgrade to a more user Friendly operating system?

Answers on a postcard...

Last edited by v8vogue; 03-28-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Post ADVICE Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8vogue View Post
Hi Chaps,

I recently changed to an HTC Titan running WP7.5 Mango from and HD2 on WM6.5. I might as well have bought an Iphone... I have to use third party software to add items.
It's crazy, yes it's got fast internet browsing but there is no direct access to the inbuilt storage, no drag and drop, no actual MS office on the phone.

I know what you guys are going to say, why did I buy it, well I thought WP7 was the next version of Windows Mobile and how wrong I was. It's the B@stard child of a one night stand between Bill gates and Steve Jobs. I did find a registry tweak that will allow me to drop photos directly onto the phone but that's it. It's locked up tighter than a ducks arse!

I suppose in a few months a dev team will have a jailbreak available so it looks like I'm stuck with this white elephant for a while longer. Anyway I digress, So what's the chance of a downgrade to a more user Friendly operating system?

Answers on a postcard...
Sorry you ended up with that. The real problem is that there are no good mobile operating systems today because not only did MS quit "real Windows Mobile", they kept a similar name and just threw the next version number on there as a real dirty trick and slap in the face to people like you and me. At this point, if you bought that thing on a contract (in which case I'm extremely sorry for the pain you're gonna be in for for the coming years), I saw this thing on YouTube where this one guy managed to run WM6 on top of WM7 (has to be custom rom/fixed for this to be installed) on his machine. I don't know if this is specific to that device or if it works on anything, but look around in an internet search and on YouTube to check out that one thing (I'm pretty sure it's actually not an emulator).

If you can evade that contract, the only choices left are to either get another normal Windows Mobile 6 device, or try Android. It's not a step up, but at least it does work to some degree (with the exception of PIM related syncing - there is absolutely no way to just plug in a usb cable and sync, an option that has been present on every useful smartphone since 1995. There are a dozen third party solutions, none of which actually fully work)(that and it closes running programs whenever it feels like it) and it does look kind of nice without being completely useless.

Sorry there wasn't better news for you, but that's just the "Microsoft Effect".

Good luck.

- 2 Bunny
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: ADVICE Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
Sorry you ended up with that. The real problem is that there are no good mobile operating systems today because not only did MS quit "real Windows Mobile", they kept a similar name and just threw the next version number on there as a real dirty trick and slap in the face to people like you and me. At this point, if you bought that thing on a contract (in which case I'm extremely sorry for the pain you're gonna be in for for the coming years), I saw this thing on YouTube where this one guy managed to run WM6 on top of WM7 (has to be custom rom/fixed for this to be installed) on his machine. I don't know if this is specific to that device or if it works on anything, but look around in an internet search and on YouTube to check out that one thing (I'm pretty sure it's actually not an emulator).

If you can evade that contract, the only choices left are to either get another normal Windows Mobile 6 device, or try Android. It's not a step up, but at least it does work to some degree (with the exception of PIM related syncing - there is absolutely no way to just plug in a usb cable and sync, an option that has been present on every useful smartphone since 1995. There are a dozen third party solutions, none of which actually fully work)(that and it closes running programs whenever it feels like it) and it does look kind of nice without being completely useless.

Sorry there wasn't better news for you, but that's just the "Microsoft Effect".

Good luck.

- 2 Bunny
once W8 is released the concepts behind WP will be better understood. There is also to some degree drag and drop support, but it is not directly on the phone. if one drags and drops to a folder that the zune software recognizes then the files will sync up with the phone accordingly. also there is a trick I found somewhere on the web that will allow for skydrive integration in windows 7 explorer which would provide better integration. I absolutely enjoy how office connects and interfaces with skydrive, for example I can start a word file on my phone, save it to skydrive and then open it and edit either within the browser or within word, either way it saves the changes seamlessly across all screens. something that isnt accomplished with drag and drop.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile I PHONE Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
once W8 is released the concepts behind WP will be better understood. There is also to some degree drag and drop support, but it is not directly on the phone. if one drags and drops to a folder that the zune software recognizes then the files will sync up with the phone accordingly. also there is a trick I found somewhere on the web that will allow for skydrive integration in windows 7 explorer which would provide better integration. I absolutely enjoy how office connects and interfaces with skydrive, for example I can start a word file on my phone, save it to skydrive and then open it and edit either within the browser or within word, either way it saves the changes seamlessly across all screens. something that isnt accomplished with drag and drop.
You're forgetting that SkyDrive works on all platforms though. I mean, Windows Mobile 7 really isn't a smart platform and doesn't belong on sites like PPCGeeks and XDA DEVELOPERS, rather it would fit in great at the likes of "IPhone Central USA" or something. When you have no control of your files except on some flaky cloud storage, and the only place you can get programs is the "microssoft download center", you have only a glorified IPhone.

Just puttin' that on the table.

- 2B
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Re: I PHONE Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
You're forgetting that SkyDrive works on all platforms though. I mean, Windows Mobile 7 really isn't a smart platform and doesn't belong on sites like PPCGeeks and XDA DEVELOPERS, rather it would fit in great at the likes of "IPhone Central USA" or something. When you have no control of your files except on some flaky cloud storage, and the only place you can get programs is the "microssoft download center", you have only a glorified IPhone.

Just puttin' that on the table.

- 2B
2bunny and i dont agree on much, but this is troof!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Weekly Questions & Answers

Tags
downgrade, windows phone