PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Verizon Fascinate (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Signal strength? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136085)

blazingwolf 10-27-2010 03:35 PM

Signal strength?

How good is your signal strength? My almost always sits at -96 or -101db which means usually one or two bars are showing. This is much worse than my Droid which usually gave me three or four in the same areas. I have found that the fascinate has call quality issues in areas my Droid did not also.

Any one else notice this behavior?

darren.wlsn1 10-27-2010 03:42 PM

Re: Signal strength?

epic isnt so great either if it helps ya feel better. i can put any wm device next to it and all wm phones are better but sprint sent me free airwave so im not as unhappy.

blazingwolf 10-27-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1982528)
epic isnt so great either if it helps ya feel better. i can put any wm device next to it and all wm phones are better but sprint sent me free airwave so im not as unhappy.

No, unfortunately it doesn't. Not sure I can keep a phone that has these issues since I live in an area where signal is not great most of the time.

gTen 10-27-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1982651)
No, unfortunately it doesn't. Not sure I can keep a phone that has these issues since I live in an area where signal is not great most of the time.

The radio chipset should be the same as the Droid aka the Qualcomm QSC6085.

blazingwolf 10-27-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1982653)
The radio chipset should be the same as the Droid aka the Qualcomm QSC6085.

Hmm. I'll have to look in to that. However, I do notice a distinct difference.

demonlordoftheround 10-27-2010 07:58 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Even with the same chipset, the antenna configuration may have an impact.

Mylt1 10-29-2010 01:01 PM

havent looked at any numbers but i can receive and make calls with the Fascinate places i couldnt with my TP. now i can actually use my phone in all of my house instead of at the front door and the kitchen. so far, no problems and calls sound fine.

cmseeley 10-29-2010 01:29 PM

Just a hair better than the TP2 was.

At home, it is much better, as in I can make and place calls from anywhere in the house. With the TP2 I had no service in my livingroom. At the office, still pretty much no service.

On a side note, I wonder how WiFi affects service. At the office, their is an "N" access point about 5-6 feet behind me, and at home in the living room, their is one directly below me in the basement.

CMS

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1982525)
How good is your signal strength? My almost always sits at -96 or -101db which means usually one or two bars are showing. This is much worse than my Droid which usually gave me three or four in the same areas. I have found that the fascinate has call quality issues in areas my Droid did not also.

Any one else notice this behavior?

gTen 10-29-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmseeley (Post 1983853)

On a side note, I wonder how WiFi affects service. At the office, their is an "N" access point about 5-6 feet behind me, and at home in the living room, their is one directly below me in the basement.

CMS

IT doesn't..WIFI is on 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band..CDMA is 800 and 1900 MHz bands...

imnuts 11-22-2010 08:10 PM

The signal reporting is a bug as far as I know and is planned to be fixed with an upcoming update (DJ05), along with a bunch of other issues. With DI01, the signal reporting is off and will only display up to -86dBm or something like that, but with the update, it's reporting better and also the bars seem to display more accurately.