PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Manila Editing How To

I posted this awhile back in another thread, but I have seen a few requests from some of the newer members. So here it is:

Brief How To: Modifying Manila Images

First, SEARCH for 'Manila Editor'. You will find it in XDA-Developers. I opted to NOT provide the download of this program for the simple fact that if you search for it you can also 'READ' how to use it. This will minimize the already answered questions.

Second, you will need a good photo editor ie., Photoshop, Gimp etc.

Third, Any file explorer other than the default on the phone. I use Total Commander but there are also others.

Once you have gotten the hang of Manila Editor, you will see every image file that is in Manila. Extract either all of them or just the one you want to modify. Using a photo editor, you can either modify the existing or use your own. If you opt to use your own, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE ATTRIBUTES (SIZE) OF THE ORIGINAL IMAGE FILE IN MANILA. Ensure you save any image you modify or create as PNG. Now go back back to Manila Editor and update existing image with new image, finalize, and you are set. Now either cab the new file(s) up or using Total Commander (or whichever file explore you chose) copy and paste manila files from SDCard to Windows directory. Soft reset or Stop/Start TF3D and enjoy the simple yet effective modification you have done. Hope this helps some, I am sure there are more elaborate step-by-steps and how-to's out there so feel free to boost your knowledge.

To extract manila files from the phone to the computer: First, ensure that your computer is set to see all files including hidden and system files. Plug phone into computer. Then, using Windows Mobile Device Center or even just File Explorer from your computer navigate to your 'Windows Folder' on your phone. This will take a few minutes to see all the files. Now you can go through and select all the '********_manila' files and copy and paste to your computer.

Edit: Some may not have signed up at XDA. Here is the editor that I am using right now...
Attached Files
File Type: zip cfc-gui-only-0.45.15.zip (300.5 KB, 83 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by chuckz07; 09-21-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: How to extract manila files from phone to computer
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Juggs is in the MOMENT
Carrier: Sprint

Yay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the communityYay 4 Juggs is a trusted member of the community
Re: Manila Editing How To

kudos for posting but i have to interject briefly...when you say extract...you have to be a bit more specific...especially if you're importing from the device...because although you have imported from the device...you can only do 1 of 2 things...export to the device or save as a png file. i have yet to discover a way to save original manila files as manila files...unless you know something i dont.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

chuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIPchuckz07 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay 4 Juggs View Post
kudos for posting but i have to interject briefly...when you say extract...you have to be a bit more specific...especially if you're importing from the device...because although you have imported from the device...you can only do 1 of 2 things...export to the device or save as a png file. i have yet to discover a way to save original manila files as manila files...unless you know something i dont.
Thanks for the input. I edited my original post to show how I extract the files. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. Thanks again for letting me know about that!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon aka VZW aka BigRed

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad

question.
i ripped all the images out of my manila files and something wierd is happening on a few of them.

on my phone the images look fine. the one i am showing now it my txt icon for slider.

again on the phone it looks fine. when i use the export png from manila the above picture is what i get. if i backup that manila file and replace it with the same file then move it back to my windows directory then the image is messed up on my phone.

any ideas why this is happening?

also, is there a reference sheet of something that list all manila files and there functions???? that would be a lot easier if i wanted to change a paticular icon. i wouldnt have to search for it. for example i wanted to change the missed call icon on the home screen and i found an image that looked identical and changed it but it was not the correct one. i still cant find the missed call icon....

one more question.... as i put different cabs to remove logo, or custom slider/clock, or whatever does this alter the manila files? does it delete, add, or change any existing number sequences????

any help is very appreciated.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignadad View Post
question.
i ripped all the images out of my manila files and something wierd is happening on a few of them.

on my phone the images look fine. the one i am showing now it my txt icon for slider.

again on the phone it looks fine. when i use the export png from manila the above picture is what i get. if i backup that manila file and replace it with the same file then move it back to my windows directory then the image is messed up on my phone.

any ideas why this is happening?

also, is there a reference sheet of something that list all manila files and there functions???? that would be a lot easier if i wanted to change a paticular icon. i wouldnt have to search for it. for example i wanted to change the missed call icon on the home screen and i found an image that looked identical and changed it but it was not the correct one. i still cant find the missed call icon....

one more question.... as i put different cabs to remove logo, or custom slider/clock, or whatever does this alter the manila files? does it delete, add, or change any existing number sequences????

any help is very appreciated.

Icon distortion:
I honestly cannot say why that is happening to you. I personally have never had that happen to me. I f someone who reads this knows why please chime in. I do not have an answer. Sorry!

Reference: To my knowledge there is no reference, atleast not that I have seen. However, there is an older version of a manila editor that I started with years ago that I will search for. It can be found on XDA, but like I said I will search for it and post it if I find it. Reason fir this is because when you view the manila files, it sorts that majority of them by what they are used for, ie. slider, weather, etc. So for reference it can come in handy.

Installing edited manila files: The process of installing an edited manila image file does overwrite the existing stock file. The stock file still exists, so to speak, but only comes back when you either uninstall the changed file(s) or hard reset your device. So basically speaking, no matter what changes you make, factory defaults and or mistakes can be fixed. The fix might be a hard reset, but if you are wondering if you mess something up can it be fixed the answer is yes.

I hope i wrote this so it can be understood!? If you have any more questions or concerns please post.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Ok, here you go. Here is the older Manila editor I was talking about in my previous post. It was found here: (for your reading pleasure) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=414861
Attached Files
File Type: zip Manila Editor v.0.2.zip (410.0 KB, 46 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

jsnali13 is a n00b

how do CAB the files i have changed?
thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

beastrider20 is a n00b

ok I understand the whole process i think and have the manila editing program but umm....well there is no windows folder on my device from my computer explorer....I see it when i look on my phone but I cant get to it from the computer for some reason...any sugestions please? All other files and folders seem to be there except windows
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastrider20 View Post
ok I understand the whole process i think and have the manila editing program but umm....well there is no windows folder on my device from my computer explorer....I see it when i look on my phone but I cant get to it from the computer for some reason...any sugestions please? All other files and folders seem to be there except windows
On the computer go to Folder Options/View and set it to see Hidden and System Files.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software