PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

rtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinions Wanted...

I have been making custom mods for windows mobile and posted them on my ppcmods.com website. I have started getting into more complicated mods and plan on getting into even more complicated mods. The more complicated the mods, the more time consuming. I love the ppc community but I also need to dedicate time to the other parts of my life.

Anyhow, I have tried a couple of advertising things to generate a little bit of money but they were useless. I added a paypal donate thing but it is a nuisance. I understand that free mods are great and no one wants to pay for custom mods, but the time consuming nature of these mods deters me from making additional ones more often. The graphics part of each mod takes hours and hours.

I was thinking about possibly asking for a "lifetime subscription payment" which once paid each person would get lifetime access to all mods, even new ones. I thought maybe charging $10 for the lifetime. Win7 mobile is coming out soon so I plan to make custom things for that too, as well as when HTC comes out with new interfaces, etc.

Please give me your opinions on the lifetime subscription idea. Custom taskbar mods take a very long time to create, especially creating each and every graphic from scratch in photoshop. I need motivation and cannot dedicate so much time on this hobby without some.

Don't sugarcoat. Give it to me straight. Thanks in advance.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Opinions Wanted...

well thanx for your honesty first, i think its a good idea even though i havent seen your work or if i did didnt know it was yours but it sounds good to me.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM
What did you say?
Pocket PC: Rhodium

Mayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well i understand where you are coming from, it does take a lot of time. i dont see anything wrong with the fee, hell you are providing a service to people. its up to you, everyone wants to make more money and time is money as some people say...

in the end $10 bucks for life time mods is cheap. depends on how much you update but its not bad

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker

ivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good work

you make great mods. i love your sliders and honestly I forget to donate to those that put out mod and software work as I tend to remember my chefs' wallets better. maybe others are the same and we need to look at that. I think $10 for access to all your work would be totally worth it. that being said, people then feel like paying customers and might feel entitled for support. for instance, I tried your new taskbar and it didnt work for me. i left that feedback on the thread and have not heard back. no big deal to me, bc u r sharing it with me for free. people feel different after they give u money though. and then u will start spending hours troubleshooting somebody's prob (and it will prob end up being something else they did to break their phone). all this being said, I now feel a strong urge to buy u a couple beers, though I am not currently using any of your mods (but often do). no good answer. keep up the great mods and maybe consider ditching wp7 and coming android me!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Test one, test two.
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

proxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIPproxhack is a VIP

I am up for the $10...count me in.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

ill be honest, had no clue who you were till i saw this.. went and looked around, and you do some pretty awesome work... not gonna lie, i picked up the Blossom Slider and i like it alot.. i like your android taskbars too, not giving up my new anastasia one just yet, but your android one is next..

if i found myself wanting something else of yours and it was now a fee to subscribe, i definitely really think about it..

sounds like a good idea.. maybe list em at .50cents each if someone doesnt wanna pay the $10 flat fee.. some people just never feel like they have 10 extra bucks to their name, but theyd spend 50 cents no prob to get the 1 mod they want.. every 100 DLs gets ya 50 bucks... itd stack up fast im tellin ya..

you were unknown to me b4, but youve been bookmarked!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

rtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuffrtwood knows their stuff

OK I appreciate the support from the responses. I implemented the membership thing. Hopefully things go well with it. It just takes me very long to do these mods you guys have no clue how tedious it is.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwood View Post
OK I appreciate the support from the responses. I implemented the membership thing. Hopefully things go well with it. It just takes me very long to do these mods you guys have no clue how tedious it is.
post a link to your stuff and we or atleast i know its hard and thats why i dont do it. lol
Old 05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

So what is going to happen now with your work thats already posted around the site now that it's paid for content?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley762 View Post
So what is going to happen now with your work thats already posted around the site now that it's paid for content?
I guess new content will have to be downloaded from the website. I am not gonna go around asking people to remove any cabs they posted. I also realized that some people posted direct links to the content in threads, now the links will send them to the homepage. Well hopefully the transition wont be too tough.

Last edited by rtwood; 05-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software