PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > TP Themes & Software

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rip_dizzle is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Remote Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandj2002 View Post
ok now that i have no hair since i pulled it all out lol. I have the ip address now and i believe its the right number. I shut down norton so that it didnt block anything, and i went into windows firewall and made sure remote desktop was enabled. i put in my username and password and i stll get the same thing that says

cannot connect, likely reasons are and gives 3 things that could be wrong.

the only other thing that i can think of that is messing it up is that i have a wireless router hooked up also. would that make it so i cant connect?
Question:
Are you connected to your local wifi network on your TP when you try to connect? If you used IPCONFIG to get your IP then you have to be on the same network in order to connect to it using its private IP address (the IP address that your router is giving you e.i. 192.168.x.x). If you aren't, you need to go to whatismyip.com and input the IP address it gives you on that page when you try to connect using your data connection from the carrier.

I've never had a problem connecting to my home computer from my TP and I've never had to do anything special on the phone to get it to work.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: alltel

tandj2002 is a n00b

i believe im trying to connect to a private ip (192.168.*.***). i had not tried to connect using the wifi part (didnt think that would work from my work) the phone has the original rom on it havent modded it. i will try syncing up to it tonight when i get home from work. (i even tried to use the public ip number also that didnt work either). i just want to thank everyone for trying to help me with this i appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Lurker

tandj2002 is a n00b

ok i tried some of the things you guys suggested. I am using xp pro sp3 as my operating system. i was able to sync my tp and use the remote desktop and control what was on the computer. but when i disconnect the tp and try to connect it doesnt want connect still. so at least i think im on the right track (i hope)
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Use to be TP , now its E-V-O

jacker is keeping up the good workjacker is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jacker

You most certainly are. Just make sure you have wifi enabled . Also make sure you are "CONNECTED" to your network. You'll have to input that manually into your phone.

Also make sure you have the ip handy of the computer you want to connect to and password and name. (thats for the tp in remote desktop)

Lastly make sure you made and exception in firewall and in system/remote settings. At least you know it works on your phone , hehe.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Lurker

tandj2002 is a n00b

but using wifi wont really help me from work will it? I want to be able to connect on my tp while im at work. dont think ill be able to do that using wifi though will i?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4G

rip_dizzle is becoming a great contributor

You'll need the WAN IP of your home network. Just go to whatismyip.com from your home computer and write down the ip address that it gives you. Use that IP to connect to your home computer from work. But, it might not always works since home users normally get a dynamic IP address that changes every now and then.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Evo
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Solver knows their stuffSolver knows their stuffSolver knows their stuffSolver knows their stuffSolver knows their stuffSolver knows their stuff

What OS are you running at home?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Lurker

tandj2002 is a n00b

i am running xp pro sp 3

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > TP Themes & Software