PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > TP Themes & Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

yoyoyo000 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ROM recommendation

Hey guys.

I'm not new to the forum (lurker), but new to ROMs and stuff. I'm still with stock, but I wanted to get a new ROM that included Sense and WinMo 6.5.

I'm looking for a really stable and stock-like ROM (not necessarily Sprint stock, but HTC stock looking), because I need from-the-factory function and stability since I don't constantly flash my phone and do mods. I just want something stable, clean, and with the added features of the Sense home screen and WinMo 6.5 that I can use everyday. (i.e. MightROM 6 sounds like it would be perfect, but it doesn't have Sense. The other MightyROMs all seem to be for the TP2).

Any thoughts?

(I promise I searched around...I've been reading for hours, but there are so many ROMs and numbers and pages in every thread...my brain hurts now.)

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Lurker
Carrier: US Cellular

thestellarinc is a n00b
Re: ROM recommendation

Im in a similar boat as you. Ive been lurking for a long time, doing lots of reading. I also wanted to upgrade from stock (WM 6.1 and Manila 2.1) to WM 6.5 and 2.5 so I just started trying a few roms that looked right. I first tried NFSFAN's which I liked for the most part but wasnt satisfied, then tried EnergyRom, and then tried raidzero's rom. After all that I concluded they are all buggy and slow so I went back to stock :/ There is really not much new functionality with the new roms (from what I could tell), its mostly eye candy.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

yoyoyo000 is a n00b

Interesting.

Despite the "eye candy" factor in 2.5, it seems to have some useful stuff (i.e. the home screen). I don't even use Manila currently because the home screen sucks -- the calendar is useless, and other than that, it's just the clock. Having the weather for your location, a useful calendar (it's not the same useless one from 2.1 is it?), and shortcuts for your most used applications sounds fantastic. The music player also looks better, and everything in general seems to be laid out in a more sensible manner.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their experiences.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

dlee83 is becoming a great contributor

I think Lunacie's 32L ROM is your best choice. You'll want to look for a "LITE" ROM because those aren't loaded with additional apps. Lunacie's 32L is pretty fast and stable. You can't expect any Sense 2.5 ROM to be as smooth as your stock ROM because TP wasn't meant to handle Sense 2.5. Sense 2.5 uses more memory than Manila 2.0 or 2.1.

Just like you, I do enjoy stock functionality and I like to install the few apps that I actually use. I do agree that Sense 2.5's home screen is MUCH more useful than the other Manilas. You have quick access to weather and favorite programs/contacts.

If you do choose Lunacie's, you should follow his thread closely because he's always testing out the latest versions of WM and finding the most stable one.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

yoyoyo000 is a n00b

Yeah, thanks. I'll have to try that. In the last 2 days, I've tried EnergyROM and MightyROM6. Both were very good. I loved EnergyROM, but it was just too unstable. Sense would freeze editing contacts and would have issues sending texts. MightyROM was fine, but didn't have 2.5, so not totally necessary for me.

I'm back with stock now, especially since they released that patch to fix the 2016 text message issue. I wish there was a way to just install the 2.5 home screen and calendar tab onto my stock ROM. It would run just like it is now with the added funtionality of the calendar (which is great in 2.5!) and the home screen, which is all I really need.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/EVO 4G
Carrier: The NOW Network!!

LayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good workLayLay is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to LayLay

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo000 View Post
I wish there was a way to just install the 2.5 home screen and calendar tab onto my stock ROM. It would run just like it is now with the added funtionality of the calendar (which is great in 2.5!) and the home screen, which is all I really need.
You still can bro, just flash to the Sense 2.1 that has the same TF3D setup as stock, but with the functionally that you just listed. Try RSTyToy, RootRom, and SKIROM.

LayLay
" for hitting the Button!"
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

doublej3030 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayLay View Post
You still can bro, just flash to the Sense 2.1 that has the same TF3D setup as stock, but with the functionally that you just listed. Try RSTyToy, RootRom, and SKIROM.

LayLay
yeah, sense 2.1 is by far more stable and superior in performance than sense 2.5. but the biggest reason for me is that vga sense 2.1 natively supports landscape(only of the two for now). although there is work in progress on this issue over at xda; i actually use still use Calkulin's kitchen, with the TMartin update.(with 23518 sys, which has Office Mobile 2010 and a new threaded email interface) cooking to me is better because i like to pick individually the programs on my phone, but as far as roms - i did like energyrom. just pick one that is a reasonably stable sys with sense 2.1
Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestellarinc View Post
Im in a similar boat as you. Ive been lurking for a long time, doing lots of reading. I also wanted to upgrade from stock (WM 6.1 and Manila 2.1) to WM 6.5 and 2.5 so I just started trying a few roms that looked right. I first tried NFSFAN's which I liked for the most part but wasnt satisfied, then tried EnergyRom, and then tried raidzero's rom. After all that I concluded they are all buggy and slow so I went back to stock :/ There is really not much new functionality with the new roms (from what I could tell), its mostly eye candy.

What RaidZero ROM did you try..?? I'm using his 23518 with some tweaked mods that I added and this is by far the fastest one I've messed with so far.. And it had one bug, the SMS issue, but now that's be resolved too... Give it another shot =)

Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Milestone A854
Carrier: Alltel

pmassey31545 is becoming a great contributor

Tried 21 RPMs over the last 3 weeks and came up with RSTG v.12. Stable, fast, eye candy, and piles and piles of programs. Check it out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > TP Themes & Software