PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT
Interesting Tomtom finding...

So, I have been battling getting a fairly quick lock with GPS on Tomtom 6, sometimes it will lock other times it takes 10 min, other times it won't lock at all.

Everything I have read was the port set to 4800, well, I tried the HTC GPS tool and at 4800 it does the same thing, if I get a lock, it could take 10 min to get one.

I took Tomtom set the port speed to 57600, after a reboot, tomtom locked in under 5 seconds. I rebooted the phone a few times to confirm but, it appears to get a really quick lock now. Same results with the HTC tool. Very interesting, maybe a fluke but, it works today.

Anyone else notice this ? If your having problems, try it, it might help (using 3.42.40 rom with WM 6.5 21815 as of this post)

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-26-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800

ayato is keeping up the good workayato is keeping up the good workayato is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Interesting Tomtom finding...

I decided to try this out. With the 4800 setting it took me 61 seconds with aGPS to get a lock. I made the change to 57600 and did a soft reset. 3 second lock. Reset again and got a 5 second lock. I am using Google Maps. I usually get faster locks when I am reconnecting in the location I was last connected to, so I will try this from the office tomorrow and see if it holds to its fast locking.
Radio: 3.42.50
SPL: nueSPL-2.47
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan

MrPenguin_2 is becoming a great contributor

I really wanted this to work, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and say it doesn't for me. After I changed and restarted I opened up Google Maps. It only took about 15 seconds to lock...unfortunately it decided I was on the equator just south of Nigeria and east of Congo. I rebooted and opened it again, but this time Google Maps just timed out.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

It was worth a shot, maybe it worked for some, maybe not. I tried again (it's 12:30am here) stepped out on my deck. Tomtom would find sats but, not lock, the HTC GPS tool, I got a lock in 15 seconds and data looked correct.

Very odd but, I want this to be dependable, even if it takes 4-5 min to get a lock. How it worked before, maybe 1 out of 3 times I could get a lock (even with it sitting for 10-15 min outside or in a car window).

One time in my wife's car (this was about 2 weeks ago), we were not sure where we were (out of state visiting family), so I pop it on, and I could not get a lock after an hour in the front window (after a bunch of reboots). It needs to work better than that. I also want to avoid poping on-line to get the data.

After all, what is the point of having GPS on your phone if it only works part of the time ?

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-26-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800

ayato is keeping up the good workayato is keeping up the good workayato is keeping up the good work

Tried it again. No go. It timed out without getting a lock. I am now reverting back to what I had before.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:34 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

An update here, a very interesting find, I will have to test it over the weekend a little on and off but, so far....Instant locks.

When I open Tomtom it goes to "No GPS device" (does this for a few seconds) then click screen, Change preferences, Show GPS status, by the time I get there, I am locked on at least 4 sats (even inside my house).

Updated to 57600 as above and installed Astro GPSLauncher (when set to 4800 it did take longer to lock)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364199

I rebooted 3 times and tried this, 5 - 7 seconds I am locked. This AstroGPS Launcher will open the GPS port before opening the program (made a icon for Tomtom launcher) and it appears to have worked for me so far.

People with out Tomtom or other listed apps will have to create a custom link for their program but, Try it, it worked for me !!!!

I will update this post with my results over the weekend (crossing my fingers here, like I said, it needs to be dependable).

If this helps, give me some thanks here !

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development