PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Titan Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   HTC Mogul Red light and Blank Screen (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21421)

madmartigan 03-15-2008 08:43 PM

HTC Mogul Red light and Blank Screen

Alright so a friend of mine wanted me to upgrade his phone for him to the new radio and all that stuff.

I tried run the official installer but I got an error that the battery wasn't at least 50 percent.

I left it charging overnight, came this morning to see a red light on the device. It won't power on at all. If it's plugged into the USB on my XP system, windows finds a new "Data Interface" device.

Tried doin the resets with holding the camera and power button and all that with no luck.

I've flashed both my phone and my girlfriend's in the past without anything like this going on.. obviously since I didn't get any kind of flash actualy going, I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I should also add that I put his battery into my phone and it works fine and shows 100% charge. When I put my battery in his phone, still nothing.

Anyone know what do with a phone in this condition?

Also, my friend hadn't activated his sprint phone yet, he got the phone brand new from ebay, and had it for about a month or so, but had an overdue sprint bill he had to pay before he could activate it.. so if he took it to the store would they replace it there for him even if it was never activated?

Thanks for any help.

gggplaya 03-15-2008 09:30 PM

Re: HTC Mogul Red light and Blank Screen

hard reset on the mogul is by holding down the two soft keys just above the green and red call keys and then pushing in the soft reset hole with your pen. I just tried it and i get nothing with your method of holding the camera and power buttons.

madmartigan 03-15-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gggplaya (Post 219533)
hard reset on the mogul is by holding down the two soft keys just above the green and red call keys and then pushing in the soft reset hole with your pen. I just tried it and i get nothing with your method of holding the camera and power buttons.

Thanks for the reply,

I used the camera and power buttons before on my phone to get to the bootloader.

I tried what you've described here and nothing happens. With no plug, it does nothing, and when plugged in the red light doesn't even flicker when I hit the reset.

Any other ideas?

isosdcftp 03-15-2008 10:41 PM

Check the phone's battery contacts. The ones that touch the batery's terminals. Look for any bent or 'non springy' ones. If you find one, GENTLY pry it as close to the original shape as possible.

madmartigan 03-16-2008 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the battery and the contacts and everything appears to be okay.

dookie 03-16-2008 12:33 PM

You definitely have a bad battery or battery contact...

Any time you plug in a Mogul / 6800 without a battery you get a solid red light, if you have access to another one, you can try it yourself...

I would plug one it without the battery, get the red light and then put in the battery, if the battery is good and makes contact the red light will go out for about 2 seconds and then come back on with the solid yellow charging light...

My first mogul when bad and I replaced it with a new one, but the old one will still charge my spare battery, so I see this all the time when I swap out one battery with the other...

DiamynzNPearlz 03-16-2008 12:38 PM

Check the battery contacts too, if they aren't touching the battery theres no connection.

dookie 03-16-2008 12:39 PM

Also I would recommend first activating the phone and the adding the $7 dollar insurance to the plan...

Then take it down to the sprint store and see if they will fix or replace the device...

Worse case scenario, is that they refuse due to water damage or some other reason and you have to call the insurance company and get a new phone for only $50...

You can then either keep the insurance (which I recommend, I'm a little hard on my phones and have had 3 replacements / repairs done since july - one time the buttons / dpad when out and they were able to replace whole top screen piece right on the spot)

Or you can cancel it and at the very least get a new phone for either $7 or $57...

Baffles 03-16-2008 12:58 PM

I thought insurance was limited to 2 replacements per year...

Dc_Striker 03-16-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffles (Post 219967)
I thought insurance was limited to 2 replacements per year...

it is its really gay