PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Help me choose a custom ROM! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148199)

TexasAggie97 12-01-2011 10:16 AM

Help me choose a custom ROM!

There are so many options and I have major custom ROM overload! I found great links to a few custom ROMs that have been posted and I needed some "experience" help in deciding which one will be best for me.

Below is a list of "must have" items or items I use on a daily basis.

Fully functional e-mail, contact, and calendar through Microsoft Exchange Server - this is a MUST because I use my phone for business as well as personal.

Ability to have up to four quick links in the bottom menu bar. I currently have the following icons that I use constantly - Phone, Contacts, Text Messaging, Applications. Everything else is accessed through home screen icons.

Compatability with current downloaded Android Apps. I need to have two apps working - 1. Biblegateway widget on one of my home screens. 2. XXXWatch accountability software on my phone (required for my ministry at church).

Audio/Video Capabilities I listen to a lot of music on my phone as watch movies from time to time while traveling or at the gym. I would like to keep this functionality or maybe improve the sound.

Optional items I would like but not required.

Better Battery Usage - I currently go through a fully charged batter in less than 6 hours. I would like to have this improved, maybe by removing CIQ?

Removal of CIQ - if this truly affects batter life, then I would like to have it removed.

Removal of Bloatware - again, optional, but why have all that Sprint crap on my phone when I never use it!

These are the four custom ROMs I am thinking of installing:

Rom Name: [ROM]Mostly Stock EI22 | Update 4 11/12 | (Added Extended Power Menu)
Developer: xBTx

Rom Name: [ROM][EI22][ERA] Legendary ROM Beta.4.0 | NoCIQ
Developer: hoffman1984

Rom Name: [ROM] [EI22] [CWM] CleanGB
Developer: toadlife

Rom Name: [ROM][CWM][EI22] SleeperROM 1.0.01 No CiQ, Stockish-CRT-Overscroll,HotSpot Fix
Developer: SenseiSimple

revaaron 12-02-2011 09:53 AM

Re: Help me choose a custom ROM!

add randomRom to that and you are in the same EXACT spot I am.
I hate reflashing every 5 minutes cause of reinstalling and everything.

I also don't want to have to re-link all my contacts.

TexasAggie97 12-02-2011 11:55 AM

I ended up going with the Sleeper ROM. It was the simplest version of GB with almost all I needed. I still need to fix the video player because it won't play my .mkv (Matrovska) video files and all my movies are in .mkv format. Previously, I had no problems watching these movies.

Other than that, everything backed up (Titanium) and reloaded without any problems!

gTen 12-02-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 (Post 2158243)
I ended up going with the Sleeper ROM. It was the simplest version of GB with almost all I needed. I still need to fix the video player because it won't play my .mkv (Matrovska) video files and all my movies are in .mkv format. Previously, I had no problems watching these movies.

Other than that, everything backed up (Titanium) and reloaded without any problems!

mkv files are just containers, try another media player like mvideoplayer and etc...

TexasAggie97 12-02-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2158246)
mkv files are just containers, try another media player like mvideoplayer and etc...

I tried out Rock Player and it was ok. I'm about to try out MX Video Player. Is that what you meant?

gTen 12-04-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 (Post 2158277)
I tried out Rock Player and it was ok. I'm about to try out MX Video Player. Is that what you meant?

I actually meant mvideo player.but there are a bunch of video players that can play it...just mvideo player was the one I used on my Epic and it was one of the first with mkv support. There are other popular players like Mobo Player and Vital Player

TexasAggie97 12-05-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2158566)
I actually meant mvideo player.but there are a bunch of video players that can play it...just mvideo player was the one I used on my Epic and it was one of the first with mkv support. There are other popular players like Mobo Player and Vital Player

Ahhhhhhh, I will look it up. I tried MX Video Player and although it started to play an 800 MB .mkv 720P movie file (THOR) on my phone, it hung up and crashed in about 1 minute and the quality during that 1 minute was poor, not 720p as it was in my stock video player.

Sleeper ROM creator is trying to fix this issue along with a few others we have tested and posted about over at XDA.

revaaron 12-06-2011 10:25 AM

so... battery savings wise, what is the best ROM?
Last night my phone was sitting in my pocket and it went from 100% to off in over 5hrs

revaaron 12-07-2011 09:57 AM

I'm about to load ACS ICS 5.5

TexasAggie97 12-07-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revaaron (Post 2158915)
so... battery savings wise, what is the best ROM?
Last night my phone was sitting in my pocket and it went from 100% to off in over 5hrs

For me, the sleeper ROM battery life is good. It is better than stock. I have used my phone extensively the past few days since I flashed the rom and it lasts about 6 hours, whereas the stock GB would last 6 hours just sitting at my desk.

I don't know about the other ROMS. Haven't tried them, maybe someone else can chime in?