PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Signal Strength Question

I get the basic gist of what a decibel is and the range that it uses to determine how good your signal is to the tower.

What I'm wondering about is, between multiple Epic's what should that range of signal be in the same general area? I have two phones and can typically see a 5 dBm difference between the devices when next to each other. Since I don't know if that's a acceptable plus or minus tolerance between the two phones I'd figured I'd ask what other Epic owners have noticed. If one phone is sitting at -89dBm, the other phone can sit at -93dBm which is obviously a lower signal to the tower. Is this worth a warranty exchange? Is this something that I can get fixed by reflashing the radio? I think my phone has been roaming WAY too much compared to my previous PPC6800 ever did. Could Sprint's coverage in my area taking a nose dive in a month since I've switched phones Any other suggestions?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Signal Strength Question

Since the only place I actually bothered to check is my room..the best spot I found was 83dBm ~ 86dBm, with most of my room being 96dBm+..but my room has pretty bad signal to begin with...but I don't have another device other then my TP2 to test with :/

Radio has a difference and PRL may make a difference if your connecting to a farther tower..There are many things that can make a difference from interference, mostly if devices are next to each other to etc...

its also possible that one is better manufacturer quality then the other one too...just like one cpu overclocks better another cpu...there are no 2 things exactly the same..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Since the only place I actually bothered to check is my room..the best spot I found was 83dBm ~ 86dBm, with most of my room being 96dBm+..but my room has pretty bad signal to begin with...but I don't have another device other then my TP2 to test with :/

Radio has a difference and PRL may make a difference if your connecting to a farther tower..There are many things that can make a difference from interference, mostly if devices are next to each other to etc...

its also possible that one is better manufacturer quality then the other one too...just like one cpu overclocks better another cpu...there are no 2 things exactly the same..
Right, but what I did was sit one of the phones on my desk and looked at the dBm's, waited a minute or so to let it stabilize (the numbers jump around), then swapped phones on the same spot. Each test had one of the Epic's about -4 to -5 dBm's higher then the other phone.

I heard that some Epic's had radio issues, and heard a reflash might help, but I remember reading this back in the DI18 days, didn't know if I got a bad flash and my radio keeps dropping from time to time. Not sure how to show this to a tech or even have them troubleshoot the radio of my phone. I just had no signal and rebooted the phone, it's driving me crazy...
Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

The difference between -89 and -93 is pretty small in the grand scheme of things...and unless you're confident that a poor signal is contributing to a chronic and repeatable problem I wouldn't worry about anything.

My wife and I have variances between our Epics for 3G/4G/Wi-Fi. There seems to be no trend to the differences and one phone does not routinely out perform the other. I think it's just the nature of the beast and a testimony that not all things are created equal.

As gTen pointed out there are so many factors that can contribute to varying signal strength. Our airwaves are so cluttered with crap anymore I'm surprised anything works.

late,
Coz
Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
The difference between -89 and -93 is pretty small in the grand scheme of things...and unless you're confident that a poor signal is contributing to a chronic and repeatable problem I wouldn't worry about anything.

My wife and I have variances between our Epics for 3G/4G/Wi-Fi. There seems to be no trend to the differences and one phone does not routinely out perform the other. I think it's just the nature of the beast and a testimony that not all things are created equal.

As gTen pointed out there are so many factors that can contribute to varying signal strength. Our airwaves are so cluttered with crap anymore I'm surprised anything works.

late,
Coz
That's my problem, either something happened to Sprint in general in my area or my radio in my Epic is significantly worse then my Mogul. I seldom losted my signal or roamed for that matter, with this phone I had for a month now, I see that triangle several times a day. Between that and the circle with the line threw it, it seems off to me. I'm a eight year customer, so I have a good idea of my usual coverage should look like and the dead zones. I'm actually charging up the 6800 to carry around to compare the two phones. I can't steal my wife's phone on a daily basis...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
That's my problem, either something happened to Sprint in general in my area or my radio in my Epic is significantly worse then my Mogul. I seldom losted my signal or roamed for that matter, with this phone I had for a month now, I see that triangle several times a day. Between that and the circle with the line threw it, it seems off to me. I'm a eight year customer, so I have a good idea of my usual coverage should look like and the dead zones. I'm actually charging up the 6800 to carry around to compare the two phones. I can't steal my wife's phone on a daily basis...
oh, if you mean that...Sprint a month or so ago let their contract expire and renegotiated a 3g roaming contract..so if you compare coverage maps they lost over 50% coverage :/
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
oh, if you mean that...Sprint a month or so ago let their contract expire and renegotiated a 3g roaming contract..so if you compare coverage maps they lost over 50% coverage :/
I noticed that about a month ago but I thought that the contract expired back in March. I gave up my mogul at the very end of May I think, so this seems to be a different issue, plus I'm East coast, I thought the coverage holes were mostly mid/West coast?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

bitch and complain and get a free airwave like lots of us do.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
I noticed that about a month ago but I thought that the contract expired back in March. I gave up my mogul at the very end of May I think, so this seems to be a different issue, plus I'm East coast, I thought the coverage holes were mostly mid/West coast?
Nope it was across the board...when it took full effect is hard to say as PRL changes differ.

look at the maps before and after:

Sprint Community: Voice and 3G coverage being drastically...

I mean you can visit the coverage map yourself and look..make sure you zoom all the way in...
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
bitch and complain and get a free airwave like lots of us do.
I did get one of those about a month ago, cute white box...

Even with that though, my phone still doesn't get a full 5 bars when 20 feet from the airwave. Now note that when I log into Sprint.com I chose the option to have the output on low, it's not like I live in a mansion or anything.

I just really wanted to know if there was a way to test the radio of a phone, but there doesn't seem to be one anymore. I heard that there was once this box you can put your phone in and it does a boat load of tests on it. I just can't find a Sprint store that has one...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G