PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo
Carrier: Sprint

jmolhava is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there an app for WiFi tether in infrastructure mode for the Epic?

Hi,
I have been looking around this forum and elsewhere but cannot find a solution for running wireless tether in infrastructure mode. My Epic is rooted and running midNIGHT ROM v5.2 (EC05 based). I saw a thread that says it can be done in an earlier ROM version, 2.1.
I have tried the Wireless Tether app, which of course works fine in Ad-Hoc mode, and tried to install mobileAP over at XDA (won't install on the current ROM I'm running).

So... has anyone successfully ran a tethering app in infrastructure mode on an Epic running a current ROM?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Is there an app for WiFi tether in infrastructure mode for the Epic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolhava View Post
Hi,
I have been looking around this forum and elsewhere but cannot find a solution for running wireless tether in infrastructure mode. My Epic is rooted and running midNIGHT ROM v5.2 (EC05 based). I saw a thread that says it can be done in an earlier ROM version, 2.1.
I have tried the Wireless Tether app, which of course works fine in Ad-Hoc mode, and tried to install mobileAP over at XDA (won't install on the current ROM I'm running).

So... has anyone successfully ran a tethering app in infrastructure mode on an Epic running a current ROM?

Thanks!
In 2.1 MobileAP is different from the settings..so a hacked version worked...on 2.2 they are merged together so there is so far no way to get MobileAp working..

What can be done though is if you go to:

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

and download the 3.0 version..to note its a beta and using 4g and etc can force the phone to restart..if that happens clear app data sometimes fixes it..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jmolhava is a n00b
Smile Re: Is there an app for WiFi tether in infrastructure mode for the Epic?

I just downloaded it and so far so good. Thank you very much!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Krusty_47 is a n00b

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I can now tether to my phone from my Asus Transformer!
25% employer discount(Don't work there anymore and still have it)
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jmolhava is a n00b

That is exactly what I needed if for, and it has worked perfectly! Now my ASUS Transformer can be used for navigation while driving... among other things.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

if you root your android tablet and replace the wpa_supplicant, you can connect to adhoc networks on it.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

jmolhava is a n00b

I came across that hack as well, but I think I want to wait for Android 3.1 next month and then see what custom ROM's come out for it.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

litewavve is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_47 View Post
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I can now tether to my phone from my Asus Transformer!
what phone do you have? I wonder if android-wifi-tether can only support infrastructure mode in limited phone models such as EVO 4G. It seems that it is firmware dependent in the article I read.

I have a HTC Touch Pro2. I am wondering if I can run wi-fi tethering in infrastructure mode if I load it with Android and android-wifi-tether.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewavve View Post
what phone do you have? I wonder if android-wifi-tether can only support infrastructure mode in limited phone models such as EVO 4G. It seems that it is firmware dependent in the article I read.

I have a HTC Touch Pro2. I am wondering if I can run wi-fi tethering in infrastructure mode if I load it with Android and android-wifi-tether.
IT would be best to ask this in the TP2 android section, but "IF" I remember correctly, yes you can inferstructure tether on Android port of TP2..

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Tags
mobileap, tethering, wifi, wireless tether