PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Carrier: Sprint

tkjames is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I have no idea how to update to 2.2...

I just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread!! I'd tried the Sprint update a few weeks back and it didn't take. I sat and read through all 11 pages to get the info, then did the Odin-to-stock-to-update-to-root process. I'm happy to say that it worked the very FIRST time I tried it (a technological miracle), and now I'm exploring Froyo. So thanks much guys!

One quick question: can programs installed on the phone be moved to the SD card without having to uninstall and re-install? I'm primarily moving all of my games but would hate to lose the data on a couple of them.

Thanks again!

Update: Okay, I now see that there's a "Move to SD card" option in Settings. But for some programs it's grayed out, so does that mean that specific program simply isn't capable of being run from the SD card, even if I were to try to re-install it there?

Check out The Stupid Random Stuff Store for - can you guess? - stupid random stuff...duh!!

Last edited by tkjames; 04-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
I just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread!! I'd tried the Sprint update a few weeks back and it didn't take. I sat and read through all 11 pages to get the info, then did the Odin-to-stock-to-update-to-root process. I'm happy to say that it worked the very FIRST time I tried it (a technological miracle), and now I'm exploring Froyo. So thanks much guys!

One quick question: can programs installed on the phone be moved to the SD card without having to uninstall and re-install? I'm primarily moving all of my games but would hate to lose the data on a couple of them.

Thanks again!

Update: Okay, I now see that there's a "Move to SD card" option in Settings. But for some programs it's grayed out, so does that mean that specific program simply isn't capable of being run from the SD card, even if I were to try to re-install it there?
Some programs will only work on the phones memory. Most of which are system apps.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic
Threadstarter

JohnnyOnTheSpot is becoming a great contributor

You know what, I have move questions and I think I hate 2.2.

My e-mail is running like garbage, and no more than the 25 will stick. And it also won't let me read some randomly...I don't know what to do. I'm not the biggest fan of K9, and I'm kind of just frustrated. Should I see if the e-mail will start running better or try a different program?

Also, texting is weird. Can anyone recommend a really good texting app?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I'm actually looking into enhanced email, any thoughts on this?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
Not all apps support moving to SD, you can of course format a partition of your SD card into EXT and then you can move pretty much all programs to SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
You know what, I have move questions and I think I hate 2.2.

My e-mail is running like garbage, and no more than the 25 will stick. And it also won't let me read some randomly...I don't know what to do. I'm not the biggest fan of K9, and I'm kind of just frustrated. Should I see if the e-mail will start running better or try a different program?

Also, texting is weird. Can anyone recommend a really good texting app?
Handcents and Gosms are the 2 popular ones..some like chompsms too..

Quote:
I'm actually looking into enhanced email, any thoughts on this?
is that an email app?

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yup, enhanced is an email app. The stock one keeps dumping everything, won't keep more than 25, and just works like poop.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:35 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Yup, enhanced is an email app. The stock one keeps dumping everything, won't keep more than 25, and just works like poop.
Like gTen said, Handcents and Go are very popular sms programs. I'm how many of the problems you are seeing have anything to do with the stock rom. gTen and I both run customs roms, but I would think that the mms and email apps would be stock. I personally really like K9 for email, and have never had an issue with the stock mms. The stock gmail app is garbage imo.

Otherwise there is a stock/rooted/deodexed full version of 2.2 that might be better and can be flashed with odin. Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Here's the thread it came from. Stock Pre-Rooted Deodexed Zipaligned Png Optimized EC05 Tar 4/7/2011 Fixed Both Tars - xda-developers

Obviously if you go this route. Backup/Odin/Restore.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G