PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

buggerritt is keeping up the good workbuggerritt is keeping up the good workbuggerritt is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Root or wait for FROYO?

One amazing thing about clockworkmod is that you can perform a backup, install any rom, and then restore data. When you do this, it sets up your phone exactly how it was with the previous rom (official or not). When I say exactly, I mean all your apps, settings, accounts, shortcuts, texts, game levels...everything. You can try one rom and if you find you don't like it, just flash another and within minutes, you are all setup the way you had it before your last backup. Flashing roms has never been easier and more fun. The days of reinstalling all your apps and all that is a thing of the past. Without root privileges, this cannot be possible.

Last edited by buggerritt; 01-16-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

I would not be happy if I was still waiting for Froyo.

Do yourself a favor and flash this Stock Froyo Rom with Clockwork recovery included.

[Stock Flash][Odin]Dk28 Extended 12/05/2010 inc. Root,GPS hack,Clockwork+Redir. - xda-developers

1 Click Flash using Odin, it does not get any easier!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

@Tkjames...ya gota upgrade to 2.2..wish I would have done it the first day I got my epic.
Its kinda like unlocking and flashing winmo...emphasis on kinda....but if uve done that kinda thing before that ll help simplify things.
What are u waiting for!!!! J/p
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul --> TP --> TP2 --> Transform --> Epic
Threadstarter

tkjames is becoming a great contributor

Okay, so if I do the root with Clockwork (or any of the mentioned ROMS), once the process is over will I have re-install everything, or will all my data/settings/apps still be in place? Right now I just want to unlock it without losing anything, back up everything I have right now, then move on to installing custom ROMs.

Check out The Stupid Random Stuff Store for - can you guess? - stupid random stuff...duh!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

You need to download something like MyBackup or Titanium Backup after you are rooted and back up everything. You should also run the backup in Clockwork. You still lose everything when you flash a custom ROM but then you just restore everything by one of those methods. Read the wiki and it will tell you everything you need to know.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Got ya.

So root WITHOUT Clockwork or anything else.

Back up my stuff.

Then have a go at all the custom ROMs.

Thanks much to all. I'd only learned how to flash my TP2 a week before I upgraded, so it's all still a little new. And I'd rather ask stupid newbie questions than brick my phone out of ignorance.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
nous défions

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
Got ya.

So root WITHOUT Clockwork or anything else.

Back up my stuff.

Then have a go at all the custom ROMs.

Thanks much to all. I'd only learned how to flash my TP2 a week before I upgraded, so it's all still a little new. And I'd rather ask stupid newbie questions than brick my phone out of ignorance.
You are going to need Clockwork to flash any custom ROMs.

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...peruser.apk.21
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
You are going to need Clockwork to flash any custom ROMs.

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...peruser.apk.21

Grrrr...the confusion returns!

I thought I could do this one-click root just to unlock it to be able to install apps that require a rooted phone, including apps that back up my data. Once I back up my data, THEN I need Clockwork to install custom ROMs (so is Clockwork itself a ROM or not?).

I was all ready to plug up the phone and have at it. Now I gotta wait a little longer to make sure I get this right....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
nous défions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjames View Post
Grrrr...the confusion returns!

I thought I could do this one-click root just to unlock it to be able to install apps that require a rooted phone, including apps that back up my data. Once I back up my data, THEN I need Clockwork to install custom ROMs (so is Clockwork itself a ROM or not?).

I was all ready to plug up the phone and have at it. Now I gotta wait a little longer to make sure I get this right....
OK , I didn't mean to confuse you. You are correct in what you just said. The link I posted will take you to the section of the wiki that covers rooting. There you will see the download link for a version of One-Click-Root that will both root your phone AND install Clockwork, so don't worry about it. Go ahead and do whatever you are going to do, and then back everything up. Then when you go into Clockwork to flash a new ROM make sure you run the "Backup"
function there before you flash anything. Its just another means to make sure you don't lose anything.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Bravo View Post
OK , I didn't mean to confuse you. You are correct in what you just said. The link I posted will take you to the section of the wiki that covers rooting. There you will see the download link for a version of One-Click-Root that will both root your phone AND install Clockwork, so don't worry about it. Go ahead and do whatever you are going to do, and then back everything up. Then when you go into Clockwork to flash a new ROM make sure you run the "Backup"
function there before you flash anything. Its just another means to make sure you don't lose anything.
Okay. So my last (hopefully) question for clarification is:

Will rooting WITH Clockwork erase all of my current data?

I get that Clockwork has its own back up system, and Clockwork is necessary to install custom ROMs. I've got the wiki page pulled up, as well as numerous other threads with links and info. Am downloading the drivers. Got my usb cable. I'm set. I just need the final clarification of which to do, root with or without Clockwork, that will result in an unlocked phone WITHOUT loss of data.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Tags
clockwork, custom, froyo, root, rooting