PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Iphone
Carrier: At&t

sp4rtan5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsp4rtan5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsp4rtan5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsp4rtan5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Epic has a feature that allows 4g/wimax to idle and use up less battery life..EVO does not have this feature..that said first samsung makes the rom...gives it to sprint...then sprint loads up its bloatware and whines back to samsung if something doesn't work >.>
You know what. eff samsung and eff sprint! But hail hummingbird!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Re: has 2.2 official been released?

any new leak info on when were gonna get Froyo?

Who is really at fault for the delay of froyo is it Samsung or Sprint?

Have the other galaxy S phone in the US receive froyo yet?

ive seen lower end phones get froyo and with rumors of the new Galaxy S2 line coming out are we really gonna still be on Samsungs or Sprints mind about upgrading us or will they do us like they did the Samsung moment?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
any new leak info on when were gonna get Froyo?

Who is really at fault for the delay of froyo is it Samsung or Sprint?

Have the other galaxy S phone in the US receive froyo yet?

ive seen lower end phones get froyo and with rumors of the new Galaxy S2 line coming out are we really gonna still be on Samsungs or Sprints mind about upgrading us or will they do us like they did the Samsung moment?
This article made the most sense to me, it's probably somewhere on here but I had this bookmarked already from before...

What’s the Holdup with Froyo Updates? We’ll explain… | PhoneNews.com

As seen in the other threads I blame Samsung more than the carrier. I say this because NO U.S. carrier has released it yet so what company do they all have in common? If Samsung worked on this earlier we would have had 2.2 before the exploit was found and we'd only be waiting for 2.2.1 instead of not even having Froyo yet which HTC phones have.

Rumor mill says there are a few custom apps that the carriers want to add which is causing conflicts with the OS, but I still blame Samsung because they should be able to fix it on the first try and not the 10th like it seems to be taking. Seriously, how many freakin' leaked version number are floating around out there? Last week it was EA04 or something, is that still the latest even? That doesn't look like they're fixing it efficiently does it? I almost want to say that the SamsungUSA division is to blame more than anyone else since outside of the U.S. they have froyo already. I just don't know for sure if all the updates are made in the same spot or if each country has a development area per country.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon View Post
This article made the most sense to me, it's probably somewhere on here but I had this bookmarked already from before...

What’s the Holdup with Froyo Updates? We’ll explain… | PhoneNews.com

As seen in the other threads I blame Samsung more than the carrier. I say this because NO U.S. carrier has released it yet so what company do they all have in common? If Samsung worked on this earlier we would have had 2.2 before the exploit was found and we'd only be waiting for 2.2.1 instead of not even having Froyo yet which HTC phones have.

Rumor mill says there are a few custom apps that the carriers want to add which is causing conflicts with the OS, but I still blame Samsung because they should be able to fix it on the first try and not the 10th like it seems to be taking. Seriously, how many freakin' leaked version number are floating around out there? Last week it was EA04 or something, is that still the latest even? That doesn't look like they're fixing it efficiently does it? I almost want to say that the SamsungUSA division is to blame more than anyone else since outside of the U.S. they have froyo already. I just don't know for sure if all the updates are made in the same spot or if each country has a development area per country.
Or it could be this - PPCGeeks.com » Is Samsung Keeping Froyo From Galaxy S Users?!?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

Or this from Gizmodo today:

The Problem With Android Updates, Again (Or: Why Samsung Galaxy Phones Are Stuck in the Past?)

If you own a Samsung Galaxy Android device, there's a good chance you're expecting an update to the second-most-recent release of Android, version 2.2, aka Froyo. It has not arrived! A purported insider explains why. Short version: Money.

As commenter The Samsung Secret tells it on XDA developers, there are a few kinds of updates for phones. Namely, critical, maintenance and feature updates. Phonemakers develop and release them, based on a contract they sign with a carrier. Critical updates, resolving a crazy bug are provided to carriers from phonemakers for free; maintenance updates, the routine ones, "have some maintenance fee associated with them"; and finally, according to their account, feature updates, which add new things, "are usually costly."

According to him (or her!), Samsung considers major Android updates to be a feature update, and "requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update." (Unlike other major Android phonemakers, who this person says do not charge for Android updates. And indeed, we verified with a major Android phonemaker that they don't charge carriers for big Android releases, so this is not routine.) Anyway, according to this person, carriers don't want to pay for these updates. Or as they put it, "all U.S. carriers have decided to refuse to pay for the Android 2.2 update, in hopes that the devaluation of the Galaxy S line will cause Samsung to drop their fees and give the update to the carriers."

It's worth noting the definite facts at hand: Samsung's international Galaxy phones have been updated to 2.2—it's just the US ones that are stuck on 2.1. And Samsung been resoundingly opaque on when the updates are coming.

We've reached out to some carriers, along with Samsung, for some comment on the allegations, but haven't heard anything as of press time. If they have to something to add, we'll update. Whatever the case may be, one thing's certainly true: The update to Android 2.2 hasn't arrived for Samsung phones, even though it has for others, and some vocal portion of Galaxy owners are beginning to get antsy.

The Problem With Android Updates, Again (Or: Why Samsung Galaxy Phones Are Stuck in the Past?)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i guess the epic folks can feel better now....if they want updates from sammy, keep buying new phones lol!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
i guess the epic folks can feel better now....if they want updates from sammy, keep buying new phones lol!
Most of us here have had froyo since november!

Sent from my Epic 3G on SERO.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

i learned my lesson about samsung years ago.....hacking is the only way to get updates from them! but hey, it's got a pretty screen, right ?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
lt cmdr of a garbage scow
Pocket PC: epic 4g
Carrier: sprint

austin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsaustin420 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)

its got the most open and hackable bootloader. and we have odin. it is 99 percent imposible to brick an epic. you cant say that about an htc.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.8820 View Post
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

i learned my lesson about samsung years ago.....hacking is the only way to get updates from them! but hey, it's got a pretty screen, right ?

Georgous! The Gpu is top notch as well.

I updated a friends acclaim to 2.2 today. Download was on Samsungs website.

Sent from my Epic 3G on SERO.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Tags
epic, ota, samsung, samsung epic, sprint