PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

MrBogard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Are you satisfied with the keyboard?

I've been eying a new phone for a while, and I thought I had settled on the Samsung Epic. Yesterday I went into Best Buy to further explore my options, and I was disappointed to see just how many fake handsets they have on display. Despite this, I handled both the Evo and Epic extensively.

I have to say, I wasn't very happy with the keyboard on the Epic. It's one of those things that I've always felt like I needed, but I probably don't. The keys seem stiff and the layout and feel are just all around funky. How do you guys feel about your keyboard? The Epic is a pretty large device, and the keyboard is really important to me.

I'm a bit at a loss here. As a former Treo, Mogul, and current Touch Pro user, I don't really want to give up my physical keyboard, but the Epic is the only real option on Sprint. It has me half wanting to wait until early next year and opt for the HD7 Pro, but I'm equally concerned with compromising by shifting to Windows Phone 7.

Thoughts? I could use some informed advice
Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Are you satisfied with the keyboard?

They keyboard is not that bad..its more a matter of getting used to it...since your usually used to another layout you can prob type on it without looking..when a new layout is introduced it takes tome to get used to it...Realistically speaking onscreen keyboards are whats used..but there are times when a physical kb makes it better/convenient or at times even necessary..

As for other phones, there is also an HTC Knight coming in jan which is android..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

I moved up from a TP without getting the TP2, which was reported to have a great keyboard. The Epic keyboard is considerably better than my TP's. It's larger and much easier and more friendly to use. It took about a day to get used to it, much less time than it took to get used to the different touch and feel of the screen. I do a lot of keyboarding so it was an important issue for me.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

it sucks ... I'm anticipating the next release of a sprint device with a keyboard. that other sprint phone that sorta looks like the epic has a better responding keyboard then the epic .. I was playing with one at thee sprint store thee other night. now screen and such are def different

Last edited by dumpringz; 11-15-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6900

Mikeschevelle is just getting started

Its the best keyboard ever, but I have yet to use it. I got the Epic, for many reasons, one being the reviews on its keyboard, but then I tried the genius that is Swype........hard keyboard what?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Almost a VIP

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

for some reason I can't edit my post but swype is the only reason I still have this phone. its pretty good I admit but I've been using it since my tp2 days and still prefer keyboard due to accuracy . . which swype fails to offer just like epic hardware keyboard
Old 11-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

it sucks, but what really sucks is not having a keyboard and using the terrible swype.
what sucks about it is that there are a crap load of keyboard strips that doesn't get sent.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6900

Mikeschevelle is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
it sucks, but what really sucks is not having a keyboard and using the terrible swype.
what sucks about it is that there are a crap load of keyboard strips that doesn't get sent.
What REALLY suck is reading your post, it doesnt even make sense??????
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeschevelle
Its the best keyboard ever, but I have yet to use it. I got the Epic, for many reasons, one being the reviews on its keyboard, but then I tried the genius that is Swype........hard keyboard what?
hows it the best if u never used it ? this phone isn't as good as the hype makes it out to be and it def isn't just the handsets I've used that have keyboard issues. for a phone hyped up because of its keyboard this phone is a disappointment.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

huh, I don't remember typing in this thread... the keyboard sucks cause there are a bunch of keys that don't go through while I'm typing normally. On my tp2, I could type without reviewing... With the epic, I have to re-read what I typed to replace all the missing keys. annoying.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G