PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

rdm is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: so far epic gps sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post
The first time GPS is run on any device (even top of the line Oregon series), it will take a few minutes to find, lock and calculate its position. After that and if there is not a major change in location, operation is much quicker.
Not really true of smart-phones
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm View Post
Not at all... mine locked in best buy lol
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

CzechPleez is a n00b

Hi. I'm a Sprint employee and Epic owner/user. First off "Sprint told me it is a known issue" is hard to believe since our employees know there aren't any known issues with the Samsung Epic 4G. There are reports of OTHER Samsung Galaxy S phones having GPS issues but the Epic 4G's GPS performance has been validated by numerous 3rd party and technical resources. So, you can quote this Sprint employee as saying "There's no known issue with the Epic 4G GPS." Please use that in the future.

That said, please make sure your settings are correct:
To use aGPS (assisted GPS) you need to make sure you enable "Use Wireless Networks" and "Use GPS Satellites" in the Locations & Security menu in Settings.

Check to make sure you have enabled "Use My Location" under the Privacy menu in Settings.

To use any kind of GPS make sure you enable the GPS radio by pulling down the notification bar and enabling GPS radio.

GPS cannot lock on if you're not in direct exposure to GPS satellites so make sure you're outdoors and in a clear field of view of a large portion of the skyline. If you're in a valley of tall buildings you may not get optimum coverage.

If you still have problems please send me a PM. Thanks for being a Sprint customer and Epic owner!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Some reviews for the epic say its random users having gps issues. Samsung is getting ready to release a fix for those who are having any issues. It's just a matter of waiting. Don't know how samsung is on releasing updates and patches.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees45us View Post
Some reviews for the epic say its random users having gps issues. Samsung is getting ready to release a fix for those who are having any issues. It's just a matter of waiting. Don't know how samsung is on releasing updates and patches.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
It is random users... the ones who cant figure out that you need to turn on the agps as well as my location in setting to get gps lock... Ive never even used android before and I got a lock instantaneously...
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Ok, it appears I did not have the "use wireless networks" enabled. Once I turned that on I got a lock on google maps in about 3 seconds.

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 09-01-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Touch Pro

afbond03 is becoming a great contributor

The building I work in, my Pre could never get a lock on me. My Epic gets a lock in seconds. Guess I am a lucky one not having this issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Stand-alone GPS units do not have the ability to access the Internet or cell phone assist services. If you are in an area without data or cell service, the initial time will be greatly extended.

Quote:
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: diamond

bnl552 is a n00b

Dear Sprint Employee-- I have both GPS and Wireless signals enabled and GPS is enable from the drop down. While standing in front of my house with a clear view of the sky it goes back and forth between using wireless signals to get my rough location and using GPS. Even when it is using GPS my location is about 1/2 mile away from where I actually am and it bounces around every 30 seconds or so. My old HTC Touch Diamond could not only get a signal in front of my house, it could get a signal in my garage with two stories above it and it was accurate. THERE IS A PROBLEM... stop saying there are "No Known Problems". Hell, Sprint always denies problems with their cell phones that everyone else knows exist... look how long they denied that their were problems with MMS on the Diamond that they promised it worked on.

UPDATE: I apologize for the rudeness of the above post. Bad day at work. The facts are still relevant though.

Last edited by bnl552; 09-02-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Threadstarter

cloudtp2 is just getting started

whats up.. first, no this isnt a rant!! i was just posting cuz since i got the phone yesterday at 12pm. i do work in a large building with huge garage doors. i constanly go outside with clear views of the sky. neither google maps or sprint nav will give me my location they will both tell me, location unavailable signals. i did turn on the gps for the down menu and turn on gps satellites.
i didnt turn on use wireless networks since i thought u had to have wifi turned on for that.
nvw, all day at work it either didnt work or show me i was like 3 miles away. on the way home same thing, when i got home same thing.
today i kept the same settings. i was able to get a lock after work, and kept it pritty good as i was driving home.
CzechPleez -- thx for the tips i have now turned those on. we will see tomarrow how good it works, my tp2 worked very good and i love to have gps working flawlessly on this device, since i use it alot. ill use google maps and sprint nav to navigate me to work and back. hopefully it works good.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G