PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689)

CozBoogie 08-31-2010 10:30 AM

Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

Post up all your tricks, tips, and advice regarding battery performance for the Galaxy Series phones. Be sure to tell us which Galaxy phone you have.

late,
Coz

hypeo 08-31-2010 04:34 PM

Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

I would also like to see (if the OP don't mind), What kind of hours are you getting before and after modding.

flyers2114 08-31-2010 09:02 PM

Anxious also to see what battery life is like.............will be posting tips or tricks as soon as I learn them.....shit I gotta learn the whole phone....lmao.....just turned it on!

revaaron 08-31-2010 10:03 PM

my battery has died on me 2x today already... it went from 80% to "low battery" while I was in the gym.

mlin 08-31-2010 10:18 PM

I have an EVO and my wife has an Epic. I have a few tips from my EVO experiences that I will apply to her Epic to see how things go. At this point on my EVO I can typically get through a day with upwards of 30% remaining by the time I recharge.

-Background data is a huge battery hog and I find little reason to keep it on.

-Juice defender has worked well to improve battery on my EVO, I imagine it will do the same on the Epic.

-SetCPU overclocked to 1190MHz (batt 70-100%), 998MHz (batt 30-69%), 528MHz (batt 15-30%), 248MHz (batt 0-14%)

Good luck and enjoy, the Epic is sick. It made me like my EVO a little less when the Epic scored 55.7 fps in Neocore and my EVO scored 31.6 fps... That screen is beautiful and the graphics processing is quite impressive to say the least.

Johnny.Bravo 09-01-2010 06:00 PM

Battery Life

I charged mine up all night, and my battery lasted about 8 hours today. I was playing with it a lot (of course!) this morning for about 2 hours, downloading and installing apps, etc. and then I just put it in my pocket. I spent most of the day in an area that is roaming, so that might have drained it a little faster than normal. I think we need to identify some specific measures to make the battery last longer. I leave for work at 6:00 am so only getting 8 hours out of my phone means my battery is dead by 2:00 pm.

That won't do.

revaaron 09-01-2010 06:32 PM

12hrs from the charger and it's at 24%

Vassago 09-01-2010 06:59 PM

Re: Battery Life

I played with mine all day, surfing on 4g and using apps/downloading apps. I also have my weather and apps on update pretty frequently. Mine lasted about 9 hours before it started asking for a recharge, but at the same time I have a pretty active live wallpaper on it.

jdizzle 09-01-2010 07:38 PM

battery life on the Epic is incredible in comparison with the EVO. I took it off the charger this morning at 6:30 am (with very light use - at work, can't really play with it), and now 12 hours later, the battery bar still shows full. With the EVO, my battery indicator would be showing 50% by now

mlin 09-01-2010 08:19 PM

There is already a thread for this, opened by Coz. We should try to keep all the Galaxy battery talk there. I will find it and post the link.

flyers2114 09-01-2010 08:24 PM

Well I am very impressed with my first charged use.....I took it off charger this AM.......used at least 5 hours of BT stereo and surfed, e-mail, phone calls and lots of texting throughout the day...total battery life was 10 hours....with using the BT stereo like that it is very impressive to me!!

Johnny.Bravo 09-01-2010 08:27 PM

I looked for one but couldn't find one so I opened this one. Maybe one of the Mods can merge the two and put it at the top so everyone can add their input.

EDIT***

I just found it - right at the top of the page, right in front of me. With a sticky....

Sorry, must be blind.

mlin 09-01-2010 08:31 PM

Here you go: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689

They will likely get merged anyway, no worries. Its just more helpful when this information stays consolidated.

eenieMINI 09-01-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfoster (Post 1932175)
I looked for one but couldn't find one so I opened this one. Maybe one of the Mods can merge the two and put it at the top so everyone can add their input.

EDIT***

I just found it - right at the top of the page, right in front of me. With a sticky....

Sorry, must be blind.

Yep, gotcha covered, threads merged with sticky.

beejmeister 09-01-2010 08:54 PM

You guys with all that battery life are killing me! I'm getting nothing comparatively. Might be because I'm in love iwth the phone and using the crap out of it... (I hear voices coming from it calling my name to mess with it...).

Anyway... It was pretty much dead by 2PM (from 8 AM) and since it is such a slow charger, the 20 - 30 minute car trips I had to make a couple of times didn't do a whole lot for me.

I'm going to experiment with turning off data using apps and such... don't know if the digital clock I installed that has sports scores (but only when the GT Jackets are playing) posted live is eating power.... or the FB app, or the Twitter app, or the weather app... or my Exchange email.... man! I guess the juice can get used up pretty quickly with too many things going on... Oh yeah! I forgot about the about 1.5 hours I was on the phone today before 2 PM as well....

I'd like to think I just got a lemon of a battery or something rather than that it's all my fault....

Anyway... al the help I can get is appreciated! Cheers!

Entrepreneur724 09-01-2010 11:14 PM

I just wanted to add that if you guys have 4G enabled....It takes up a pretty decent amount of juice. I know we all pay the fee however if you aren't in the area and leave 4G on -- I would think that it would take up a DECENT amount of juice.

yankees45us 09-01-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entrepreneur724 (Post 1932333)
I just wanted to add that if you guys have 4G enabled....It takes up a pretty decent amount of juice. I know we all pay the fee however if you aren't in the area and leave 4G on -- I would think that it would take up a DECENT amount of juice.

That's a good point. The 4g radio will drain battery alot faster if it's constantly searching for 4g signal. If your not in 4g area then turn off 4g. Although I heard that the 4g radio in the epic has a special sleep mode that kicks in when there is no 4g signal. The evo supposedly doesn't have this feature. Anyone with an epic let us know if that's the case.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

smu 09-02-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees45us (Post 1932340)
That's a good point. The 4g radio will drain battery alot faster if it's constantly searching for 4g signal. If your not in 4g area then turn off 4g. Although I heard that the 4g radio in the epic has a special sleep mode that kicks in when there is no 4g signal. The evo supposedly doesn't have this feature. Anyone with an epic let us know if that's the case.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

My wife just got an Epic and I have seen it go into the 4G sleep mode...it has "Zzzzzz" over the 4G icon, lol. However, her battery experience is absolutely awful. She has two e-mail accounts that are checked every 30 minutes and she is running CompanionLink on her desktop to sync Outlook every 4 hours or so. Other than this, she has the display turned down as much as possible and does a bit of calling. Her battery goes from charger to low battery warning in 3-4 hours. Any thoughts on what she could try? I've seen people talk loosely about some things that might help, but I haven't seen anything specific to try. Any help is appreciated!

madoc 09-02-2010 02:57 PM

Less than stellar battery performance today. ~7 hours with little use, no tweaks performed. :disgust:

Will be performing the same tweaks that I employed on my EVO (Roaming turn off, screen dim, etc.) I am ready and on the lookout for a custom ROM though! Is there anyone cooking for the Epic yet?

smu 09-02-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madoc (Post 1932964)
Less than stellar battery performance today. ~7 hours with little use, no tweaks performed. :disgust:

Will be performing the same tweaks that I employed on my EVO (Roaming turn off, screen dim, etc.) I am ready and on the lookout for a custom ROM though! Is there anyone cooking for the Epic yet?

Teradog told me yesterday that he cooked one, but I was just looking for it about 5 minutes ago...I'm going to PM him and ask him where it is.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 09-02-2010 03:48 PM

Any Epic SetCPU users, do you have any good configurations? I'm not sure how to set it, and my battery life is garbage.

madoc 09-02-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 1933018)
Any Epic SetCPU users, do you have any good configurations? I'm not sure how to set it, and my battery life is garbage.

I just installed and have it set to the "on demand" setting. 1000 max, 200 min.
Will report back after a full day tomorrow.

Did you already have it installed and in use?

JohnnyOnTheSpot 09-02-2010 11:20 PM

It's been running all day today, and it was fully dead by 5 (off the charger at 10:30). I barely used it, plus it was in airplane mode for an hour.

valdor21 09-03-2010 02:19 AM

Epic Battery Life!!!

I've been playing around with my epic the last few days.. and i've noticed the battery last for a very long time.. i come from having a evo, tp2, and a tp and i'm extremely impressed with my Epic's battery life

for example today i left my 4g, wifi, bluetooth, and gps enabled for about 14 hours heavy to mild usage throughout the day.. and my phone never died.. matter a fact eventually after talking on the phone for about 2 hours it beeped saying my battery was about to die and i talked for another 40minutes before i hung up the call and charged my phone

but on the negative side it literally takes hours for my battery to charge to full

i'm curious about everyone elses battery life experiences so far i'm extremely impressed

revaaron 09-03-2010 03:51 AM

Re: Epic Battery Life!!!

I am not. I took it off the charger at 7am and it was showing lowness at later on in the day, found a microUSB cable. at 7pm it gave me a "fully charged" message. I took it off the charger and went to a concert from 9pm to 1am with some surfing/reviews in between bands then got to my radio station at 2am and by 2:30am it was yelling at me about the battery being low. BTW: I have everything turned off except for the phone, 3G, and push mail from my exchange account.

dumpringz 09-03-2010 09:44 AM

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

so far I'm good with the life of it .. time will tell. I've yet to install any apps so maybe that's part

littlefreak 09-03-2010 02:13 PM

My battery isnt do so well... Waiting for a 1750 extended...

Unknown Zone 09-03-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valdor21 (Post 1933546)
....but on the negative side it literally takes hours for my battery to charge to full

i'm curious about everyone elses battery life experiences so far i'm extremely impressed

It seems to be pretty good....I have a "black" wallpaper which helps a little on the battery life since "black" uses little to no power from the Samoled screen.

But I agree....it takes a very very long time to reach full charge...and I have everything turned off....gps/sync...etc.

madoc 09-03-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madoc (Post 1933289)
I just installed and have it set to the "on demand" setting. 1000 max, 200 min.
Will report back after a full day tomorrow.

So, in the A.M., phone would not wake up. SetCpu settings were the culprit. Emailed dev, he said you should use the "conservative" setting only on the Galaxy S models for now.

I'm going to flash a custom ROM tonight, hopefully that - plus a better working SetCpu will provide some acceptable battery life.

Johnny.Bravo 09-04-2010 01:53 AM

I figured out how to make my battery last all day and all night.

I bought a second micro usb cable and I took it to work. When my battery starts getting low I plug it into my computer at work and charge the battery.

I also have a car charger in my truck.

If need be I'll buy a solar charger and wear it on my head.

I love this phone and I'll do whatever it takes to keep it running all day!

austin420 09-04-2010 04:22 PM

lol. i keep a little hampster wheel with me while im sitting at the park that charges my phone. and during a storm the other night i used lemon juice and a potato and a set of rca's. i had to buy a new cable the next day. jk.

valdor21 09-04-2010 09:41 PM

I haven't charged my phone for 14 hours again I with medium heavy usage and my battery has not died I'm really supried more people aren't reporting how amazing the epic battery is

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

revaaron 09-04-2010 09:44 PM

took it off at 11am and at 9pm I was getting low battery messages, I used it in the bathroom a couple times and took a couple pictures with it... check email a few times, etc... not much.

mayford5 09-04-2010 10:47 PM

I am getting about 12-14 hours on min also. I have a picture of my wife and kids for my wallpaper. I use wi-fi and keep my screen about 45% unless outside. I have push for my exchange server turned on and also a constant update for my gmail account.

With that said I did notice it takes a long time to charge. I think its because the charger is .7 amps. The charger for my work phone is 1.2 amps(this is for an HTC Aria) I swapped the chargers and it was a lot better. I made sure that the rest matched up. don't know of anything else I could do except get a different charger.

CozBoogie 09-05-2010 12:14 AM

Off charger for the last 13 hours and I'm still over 50%...that's with a handful of calls and pretty regular texting all on 3G.

late,
Coz

Johnny.Bravo 09-05-2010 07:38 AM

Now that I am over the initial "I have to play with this phone every waking second" my battery life has improved greatly. Yesterday I took it off the charger at 7:00 am and at 8:00 last night my kids were taking turns playing "Raging Thunder 2" and"Replica Island" for about 45 minutes. When they finally put it down I checked the battery and it was at 22%.

Johnny.Bravo 09-05-2010 07:57 AM

This is the 3rd or 4th thread that has been started about battery life. Look at the main "Samsung Galaxy Series" page and you will see a sticky about battery performance.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689

Can we keep everything there? Its hard trying to follow all these different threads and battery life is obviously a popular subject.

flyers2114 09-05-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfoster (Post 1935660)
This is the 3rd or 4th thread that has been started about battery life. Look at the main "Samsung Galaxy Series" page and you will see a sticky about battery performance.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689

Can we keep everything there? Its hard trying to follow all these different threads and battery life is obviously a popular subject.

Bump!

daddymikey1975 09-05-2010 08:25 AM

When I purchased my Epic 4G on Friday, the sales rep at the Sprint store told me that I had to train my battery by using the phone (from the store, as it was) until completely discharged and the phone dies. Then recharge it completely, and do the same again. He said after 3 to 5 days of this it should reach max life/efficiency.

When I came home w/ the phone, the batt. indicator was flashing. I streamed slacker radio for about 4 hrs (no kidding) w/ my bluetooth earpiece to kill it. Finally died. Recharged (as instructed) and used the phone again until it died (which didn't take long) .. lather, rinse, repeat.. the first night, the phone died just sitting on a dresser. Now (sunday morning) I seem to be getting increasingly better/longer life.

I've never heard of a "training" procedure. I do know that (w/ WinBlows phones) when you flash a custom ROM to it, it takes a few charge/discharge cycles for the ROM/power management to accurately gauge the battery. Maybe it's similar w/ these new android devices ? (speculating)..

Just wanted to share my battery experience.

flyers2114 09-05-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 (Post 1935675)
When I purchased my Epic 4G on Friday, the sales rep at the Sprint store told me that I had to train my battery by using the phone (from the store, as it was) until completely discharged and the phone dies. Then recharge it completely, and do the same again. He said after 3 to 5 days of this it should reach max life/efficiency.

When I came home w/ the phone, the batt. indicator was flashing. I streamed slacker radio for about 4 hrs (no kidding) w/ my bluetooth earpiece to kill it. Finally died. Recharged (as instructed) and used the phone again until it died (which didn't take long) .. lather, rinse, repeat.. the first night, the phone died just sitting on a dresser. Now (sunday morning) I seem to be getting increasingly better/longer life.

I've never heard of a "training" procedure. I do know that (w/ WinBlows phones) when you flash a custom ROM to it, it takes a few charge/discharge cycles for the ROM/power management to accurately gauge the battery. Maybe it's similar w/ these new android devices ? (speculating)..

Just wanted to share my battery experience.

Yes indeed you should always calibrate the battery....I have done it on numerous phones...you will see significant improvement...