PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 12:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

fireballmonkey is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to fireballmonkey
Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliS View Post
ok so im trying to do the same thing you did but have some questions about which things to stop in startup. did you "sprint updater", "system updater", "WiMAX_RC", "My Uploads", and "SNS" as well? If not, do these cause any issues if they are prevented? also, is the "Media Hub" the same as "Media Storage", because i see nothing that says media hub specifically?
Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply back to you. I haven't been on here for a while.

To answer your question, "no" on all counts. Pretty much the only things I set to prevent were the worthless Sprint apps, like Nascar, NFL, Amazon MP3, etc. Of course now I don't have to deal with most of them because I rooted my phone and removed them.

Media Hub isn't the same thing as Media Storage either. I'm sorry I can't remember what Media Hub is listed as in the app.
Previous
Smartphones: Treo 700p (Verizon), Centro (Sprint), Touch Pro (Sprint)
Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
good read on task killers, mines gone.

Android Task Killers are Dead
Interesting find. I'll disable ATK auto-kill for a few days and see if it really makes any difference. I'll report back on it later.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballmonkey View Post
Interesting find. I'll disable ATK auto-kill for a few days and see if it really makes any difference. I'll report back on it later.
you will see gains. juice defender is useless also imo.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 AM
N00b

If that's the case, that means the one and only thing that gave me my ultra battery boost was killing off the DRM services. We'll see.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 AM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
If that's the case, that means the one and only thing that gave me my ultra battery boost was killing off the DRM services. We'll see.
market/auto start killer and pick what you wanna kill. i get 16hrs with moderate use.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
you will see gains. juice defender is useless also imo.
You seem to be correct, sir. It didn't make any noticeable difference turning off auto-kill on ATK, so I'm leaving that off. I've also had Juice Defender off for a day or so, and so far it seems to have BETTER battery life with it off. I didn't use the phone quite as much as usual today though, so I'll have to wait a few more days before making my final judgment.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 AM
acs tester

Quote:
You seem to be correct, sir. It didn't make any noticeable difference turning off auto-kill on ATK, so I'm leaving that off. I've also had Juice Defender off for a day or so, and so far it seems to have BETTER battery life with it off. I didn't use the phone quite as much as usual today though, so I'll have to wait a few more days before making my final judgment.

Thanks for the tips!
np, glad its working out.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul PPC-6800
Carrier: sprint

pkny is keeping up the good workpkny is keeping up the good work

I need help on this issue also.

Today i got 10h 39m 1s on 80% charge. Now i don't know exactly what made this happen but i did have some questions on if anything i mentioned uses up battery. So here is the list, let me know if this helps at all.

Background: I work in an area that has spotty service and If i do have service i would roam on a verizon tower. So i turn on wifi for my data needs

1) I disable the DRM service
2) airplane mode cycle in the morning
3) disable use wireles network for location
4) Disable background data
5) Disabled data roaming and enable data roam guard.
Would this matter if i did #4 ?
6) Wi-Fi sleep policy is set to never turn off
7) Set ATK to auto kill every hour.

Now i know ATK is controversial for android 2.1+. Is there anything else i am doing here that is unnecessary?
Is there anything i should be doing.

I do not have live wallpaper but have a dark background. Brightness set to 12%.
I do have this battery widget and launcher pro. Both of which i believe is killing my battery.

Is there anything i am doing here that is unnecessary?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkny View Post
1) I disable the DRM service
2) airplane mode cycle in the morning
3) disable use wireles network for location
4) Disable background data
5) Disabled data roaming and enable data roam guard.
Would this matter if i did #4 ?
6) Wi-Fi sleep policy is set to never turn off
7) Set ATK to auto kill every hour.

Now i know ATK is controversial for android 2.1+. Is there anything else i am doing here that is unnecessary?
Is there anything i should be doing.

I do not have live wallpaper but have a dark background. Brightness set to 12%.
I do have this battery widget and launcher pro. Both of which i believe is killing my battery.

Is there anything i am doing here that is unnecessary?
I'm currently getting 16-20 hours on a charge with moderate use. I believe killing the DRM service is the biggest gain. I only did the airplane mode cycle once, and I've rebooted the phone a few times since then, and my battery life is still fine, so I doubt that it really did anything. As far as location, background data, and roaming, I leave all that crap on and it doesn't seem to drain my battery any faster. I used to use ATK auto-kill, but since turning it off, it doesn't appear to make any difference, so you probably don't need that set either. I have my brightness set to auto, but 12% should be fine. I used Launcher Pro for a while too, and it didn't seem to drain the battery either.

So I'm wondering if maybe it's your battery widget. I've read that some of them affect battery life, but others don't. You should try uninstalling it for a few days and see if it helps. You can also check your battery usage list in Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Use, and see if any apps are listed on there.

The inconsistent roaming/spotty service that you mentioned is likely a part of the issue as well. Roaming/low signal strength can drain battery like a mofo.

Hope this helps at least a little!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/21.529; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

There's a lot of talk in the upgrades section about how important it is to recalibrate your battery after flashing a new kernel. I'm thinking this would help anyone even if you haven't flashed anything recently. Its pretty simple. Requires root and Clockworkmod custom recovery. Boot into Clockwork, go to advanced> wipe battery stats>yes. Then charge your battery to 100%, run it all the way down to 0%, and then leave it on and charge it back up to 100%. Your battery is now calibrated and it should improve battery life.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G