PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: midNIGHT ROM DK28 (Froyo) v2.5 EXT4 (DUAL) New Kernel >also naked edition< 01/03/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
With all the changes and tweaks maybe someone will step up and make a kitchen for the Epic..cause I can definitely see a lot of people, mostly who are new to Android be really confused with all this..
agree, xda has so many confused people.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: midNIGHT ROM DK28 (Froyo) v2.5 EXT4 (DUAL) New Kernel >also naked edition< 01/03/

You guys know the fastest way to get your phone replaced is to call 611 and ask for an advanced exchange warranty replacement. It's there the following morning. And it's free.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
ptfdmedic

Ok with the release of the edify supported rom I will be cleaning up the thread. I'm pulling the downloads because they will no longer work.....I think this is best going forward and hopefully eliminate some confusion. I'm working on it right now.....

Here you go to get a jump start until I get the thread updated.

http://rapidshare.com/files/44077517...dify_ready.zip
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

im on a edify rom now and my sdcard zips work for most part but not themes/ect. not really sure what the big deal is about using a edify rom but im not a cook and dont understand it all but ext4 seems better to me.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HP Jornada 680,720 Treo 600,650,700P, TP2, Epic4G
Carrier: Sprint

swear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Guys I just got back for the Cleveland Clinic We were there for about 5 hours.
So I need to get caught up.

Here's my take on this. I think noob is an amazing developer. He began everything for the epic. That said , I think they are both right. Everyone knows that memory wears out and logic would dictate that the more you write the faster it will wear or more likely it will fail. However, I kinda of feel like noob was crying fire in a crowed theater. Not saying he's wrong but I mean it could have been handled better. He makes these vague statements and then leaves. I think he meant wel but I think this has been blown way out of proportion.

I think that most of us will not see any problems from this. We cycle phones at least every 2 years. Dameon has done a great job in making thins happen for us. Some of us will even brick them (cough cough Darren cough cough) but really, how hard is it to get replaced. I think sometimes we get caught up in this whole smart phone thing that we forget that they are only phones.

So unless and until there is any concrete info to state otherwise I will continue to enjoy the performance boost of EXT4.

The bigger issue for me right now it the move to edify. This is a really big change. I'm not a gifted coder at all but once the transition is through we will all be better for it.

Now that said, I have completed v2.6 and it's ready for release. Everyone needs to understand that by doing this all of the current zips will not work. Everything will have to be remade to work with edify. I don't think it's that big of a deal but I don't want people to flash cw3 and then flash v2.6 and then send me tons of messages that their zips don't work. This is a big change and you need to understand what you are doing prior to doing this.

I have the rom and have been using it all day. I used to GPS to get to our appointment today without any problems. Everything works great and the new cw3 is really much nicer then what we are currently using.

So if anyone is ready to take the plunge then you should go ahead and flash cw3 and get ready cause once I get the kids in bed I will post the links.
Please read this thread very carefully. I'm very serious about this you need to read the thread. I will post the links in about an hour or so. PLease educate yourselves in the meantime and be ready to flash v2.6 later tonight.
While I am beyond grateful for the success of the midNIGHT ROM the sheer volume of people using it was not planned for. I try my best to support as many people as possible. I receive tons of messages for help and I am more then happy to assist. BUt I can already see that an update like this will undoubtedly bring the noobs out of the woodwork. And that's totally cool cause I want everyone that want's to use this rom to be able to do so. But please read about the edify update and please don't bombard me with questions about your zips no longer working. It really is a pretty smooth transition we will have to repopulate the community with compatible zips. That's really the long and short of it. Be aware the this requires EXT4. So I will most likely phase out RFS development simply because they can no longer coexist with edify and clockwork3. CW3 will auto convert to EXT4.

I can't wait to get this up for you guys, so in the mean time please read and get CW3 installed.

I do have 2 themes edify ready as well.....I will work on some apps tonight.
I'm just a lurker but I've been around the block a few times. I think ptfdmedic has hit it on the head exactly. A bunch of good points in this point. Probably the best is that THIS IS ONLY A PHONE. I view rooting/flashing as a hobby. If I really depended on this phone I'd pop for an extra phone and keep one a few steps behind, like Darren or not root at all.

I'm tired of waiting for Samsung. I think that Ptfdmedic, Dameon87 and Noobnl as well as others are ALL making important advances and we should follow whichever path makes the most sense to us.

I'm with Ptfdmedic. Now I have to go and do my homework.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Ok with the release of the edify supported rom I will be cleaning up the thread. I'm pulling the downloads because they will no longer work.....I think this is best going forward and hopefully eliminate some confusion. I'm working on it right now.....

Here you go to get a jump start until I get the thread updated.

http://rapidshare.com/files/44077517...dify_ready.zip
thanx sir, if ya need help cleaning other members posts lemme know or if you want more placeholders. honestly if i were you i wold start another thread for edify only stuff, we are all here and can find new thread.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

We also have a ppcg wiki if you wish to utilize it and make a wiki page for your rom.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
We also have a ppcg wiki if you wish to utilize it and make a wiki page for your rom.
theres a good idea too, new thread and wiki sounds like a idea.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
im on a edify rom now and my sdcard zips work for most part but not themes/ect. not really sure what the big deal is about using a edify rom but im not a cook and dont understand it all but ext4 seems better to me.
The edify roms use s different script. CW3 does not support the current scripted zips. Thats why if you boot into CW3 and try to flash non edify compliant zips they will fail.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
theres a good idea too, new thread and wiki sounds like a idea.
I updated the first post.....Heres the really confusing part. You can flash this rom from both clockworks. But you can only flash current zips from the cw2.5. CW3 removed compatibility with the old format so it will only flash edify supported ROMs and zips.

I think I am going to just have to choose a direction and go with it. CW3 is going to be were development is going. Some devs have already moved on. I don't want to leave anyone behind but I really think clockwork 3 is the way to go. This will probably be the last rom to support both RFS and EXT4. It will simplify things greatly. Most people are on ext4 now anyways and CW3 makes it extremely easy for those who are to jump on board.

WHat do you guys think. I know Darren said he was on CW3 already.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development