PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM
B5Z
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

B5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: midNIGHT ROM DK28 (Froyo) v2.5 EXT4 (DUAL) New Kernel >also naked edition< 01/03/

Just wanted to report that v2.5 with theme v3 (AOSP Lock) is running very smooth. I like what you've done with the theme regarding some of the pop-up transitions. Just ran quadrant on this bad boy and got 1593!!!

Job well done again sir & keep up the GREAT work!

"THANK YOU" for finding time in your busy schedule to work on & share your work with all of us.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: midNIGHT ROM DK28 (Froyo) v2.5 EXT4 (DUAL) New Kernel >also naked edition< 01/03/

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Z View Post
Just wanted to report that v2.5 with theme v3 (AOSP Lock) is running very smooth. I like what you've done with the theme regarding some of the pop-up transitions. Just ran quadrant on this bad boy and got 1593!!!

Job well done again sir & keep up the GREAT work!

"THANK YOU" for finding time in your busy schedule to work on & share your work with all of us.
if i were you i wouldnt put much to a quadrant score, there not accurate at all.there was a big crap storm on xda about it with lots of proof how there manipulated.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
B5Z
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

B5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
if i were you i wouldnt put much to a quadrant score, there not accurate at all.there was a big crap storm on xda about it with lots of proof how there manipulated.
Holy cow...what to believe anymore? Before EXT4 came out I read plenty of posts saying that quadrant was crap because of all of the tweaks mods were doing to skew the scores. Then, as of late, a lot of the posts read that the scores quadrant are posting are legit with EXT4?!

Oh well, honestly, to me it really doesn't matter as long as the ROM is stable and reliable...which this one is! I just get sick of weeding through the bs!

BTW - I know that you're just looking out for us Darren, so don't think that I don't apprecate your imput bro.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Z View Post
Holy cow...what to believe anymore? Before EXT4 came out I read plenty of posts saying that quadrant was crap because of all of the tweaks mods were doing to skew the scores. Then, as of late, a lot of the posts read that the scores quadrant are posting are legit with EXT4?!

Oh well, honestly, to me it really doesn't matter as long as the ROM is stable and reliable...which this one is! I just get sick of weeding through the bs!

BTW - I know that you're just looking out for us Darren, so don't think that I don't apprecate your imput bro.
linpack is what matters and in no way am i trying to pee on your or op's parade. look at this little diddy i found about dell streak with froyo.
Android 2.2 FroYo Breathes New Life Into Dell Streak - HotHardware

great news here, talking squirrel is now available in market. lol
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
acs tester

op were you gonna tell us about this?

EXT4 is dangerous on OneNAND - xda-developers

think you guys should read this and make your own call but i think its important that its out there and looks like op agrees or atleast to me. now im on the fence about ext4 and removed it from one epic just in case.

this is a quote from dameon87 that i like and supports ext4

"I call bs. Noob has been against ext4 from the start. We have wear leveling and it works well. Ext4 has not been proven to cause any extra writes than rfs. It is actually thought to cause LESS writes than rfs.
Our wear leveling woks on the hardware level and takes measures to prevent killing the nandchip.
Also the "100,000" writes number noob pulled out of his ass is on a PER BLOCK basis, not 100,000 writes in total.
I have taken every measure to limit write operations. There is no time stored on read or writes for files or directories.
I assure you that your nand chip will be fine.

In short ext4 is no more dangerous than rfs. Especially when, by default relatime is turned on on rfs, causing file access times to be written on every read."

Last edited by darren.wlsn1; 01-04-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
op were you gonna tell us about this?

EXT4 is dangerous on OneNAND - xda-developers

think you guys should read this and make your own call but i think its important that its out there and looks like op agrees or atleast to me. now im on the fence about ext4 and removed it from one epic just in case.

this is a quote from dameon87 that i like and supports ext4

"I call bs. Noob has been against ext4 from the start. We have wear leveling and it works well. Ext4 has not been proven to cause any extra writes than rfs. It is actually thought to cause LESS writes than rfs.
Our wear leveling woks on the hardware level and takes measures to prevent killing the nandchip.
Also the "100,000" writes number noob pulled out of his ass is on a PER BLOCK basis, not 100,000 writes in total.
I have taken every measure to limit write operations. There is no time stored on read or writes for files or directories.
I assure you that your nand chip will be fine.

In short ext4 is no more dangerous than rfs. Especially when, by default relatime is turned on on rfs, causing file access times to be written on every read."
Guys I just got back for the Cleveland Clinic We were there for about 5 hours.
So I need to get caught up.

Here's my take on this. I think noob is an amazing developer. He began everything for the epic. That said , I think they are both right. Everyone knows that memory wears out and logic would dictate that the more you write the faster it will wear or more likely it will fail. However, I kinda of feel like noob was crying fire in a crowed theater. Not saying he's wrong but I mean it could have been handled better. He makes these vague statements and then leaves. I think he meant wel but I think this has been blown way out of proportion.

I think that most of us will not see any problems from this. We cycle phones at least every 2 years. Dameon has done a great job in making thins happen for us. Some of us will even brick them (cough cough Darren cough cough) but really, how hard is it to get replaced. I think sometimes we get caught up in this whole smart phone thing that we forget that they are only phones.

So unless and until there is any concrete info to state otherwise I will continue to enjoy the performance boost of EXT4.

The bigger issue for me right now it the move to edify. This is a really big change. I'm not a gifted coder at all but once the transition is through we will all be better for it.

Now that said, I have completed v2.6 and it's ready for release. Everyone needs to understand that by doing this all of the current zips will not work. Everything will have to be remade to work with edify. I don't think it's that big of a deal but I don't want people to flash cw3 and then flash v2.6 and then send me tons of messages that their zips don't work. This is a big change and you need to understand what you are doing prior to doing this.

I have the rom and have been using it all day. I used to GPS to get to our appointment today without any problems. Everything works great and the new cw3 is really much nicer then what we are currently using.

So if anyone is ready to take the plunge then you should go ahead and flash cw3 and get ready cause once I get the kids in bed I will post the links.
Please read this thread very carefully. I'm very serious about this you need to read the thread. I will post the links in about an hour or so. PLease educate yourselves in the meantime and be ready to flash v2.6 later tonight.
While I am beyond grateful for the success of the midNIGHT ROM the sheer volume of people using it was not planned for. I try my best to support as many people as possible. I receive tons of messages for help and I am more then happy to assist. BUt I can already see that an update like this will undoubtedly bring the noobs out of the woodwork. And that's totally cool cause I want everyone that want's to use this rom to be able to do so. But please read about the edify update and please don't bombard me with questions about your zips no longer working. It really is a pretty smooth transition we will have to repopulate the community with compatible zips. That's really the long and short of it. Be aware the this requires EXT4. So I will most likely phase out RFS development simply because they can no longer coexist with edify and clockwork3. CW3 will auto convert to EXT4.

I can't wait to get this up for you guys, so in the mean time please read and get CW3 installed.

I do have 2 themes edify ready as well.....I will work on some apps tonight.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Guys I just got back for the Cleveland Clinic We were there for about 5 hours.
So I need to get caught up.

Here's my take on this. I think noob is an amazing developer. He began everything for the epic. That said , I think they are both right. Everyone knows that memory wears out and logic would dictate that the more you write the faster it will wear or more likely it will fail. However, I kinda of feel like noob was crying fire in a crowed theater. Not saying he's wrong but I mean it could have been handled better. He makes these vague statements and then leaves. I think he meant wel but I think this has been blown way out of proportion.

I think that most of us will not see any problems from this. We cycle phones at least every 2 years. Dameon has done a great job in making thins happen for us. Some of us will even brick them (cough cough Darren cough cough) but really, how hard is it to get replaced. I think sometimes we get caught up in this whole smart phone thing that we forget that they are only phones.

So unless and until there is any concrete info to state otherwise I will continue to enjoy the performance boost of EXT4.

The bigger issue for me right now it the move to edify. This is a really big change. I'm not a gifted coder at all but once the transition is through we will all be better for it.

Now that said, I have completed v2.6 and it's ready for release. Everyone needs to understand that by doing this all of the current zips will not work. Everything will have to be remade to work with edify. I don't think it's that big of a deal but I don't want people to flash cw3 and then flash v2.6 and then send me tons of messages that their zips don't work. This is a big change and you need to understand what you are doing prior to doing this.

I have the rom and have been using it all day. I used to GPS to get to our appointment today without any problems. Everything works great and the new cw3 is really much nicer then what we are currently using.

So if anyone is ready to take the plunge then you should go ahead and flash cw3 and get ready cause once I get the kids in bed I will post the links.
Please read this thread very carefully. I'm very serious about this you need to read the thread. I will post the links in about an hour or so. PLease educate yourselves in the meantime and be ready to flash v2.6 later tonight.
While I am beyond grateful for the success of the midNIGHT ROM the sheer volume of people using it was not planned for. I try my best to support as many people as possible. I receive tons of messages for help and I am more then happy to assist. BUt I can already see that an update like this will undoubtedly bring the noobs out of the woodwork. And that's totally cool cause I want everyone that want's to use this rom to be able to do so. But please read about the edify update and please don't bombard me with questions about your zips no longer working. It really is a pretty smooth transition we will have to repopulate the community with compatible zips. That's really the long and short of it. Be aware the this requires EXT4. So I will most likely phase out RFS development simply because they can no longer coexist with edify and clockwork3. CW3 will auto convert to EXT4.

I can't wait to get this up for you guys, so in the mean time please read and get CW3 installed.

I do have 2 themes edify ready as well.....I will work on some apps tonight.
im on cwm3 now, its cool orange and quotums new rom installs it for you and I DID NOT BRICK A EPIC< SAMSUNG DID> samsung gave me a nib epic with no insurance and sent it to my house cause issue was theres not mine.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
acs tester

op if you need help here forward pm's to me or ask people to pm me for help. im off work till its warm out so im bored. i can answer most of this stuff but not coding ect, just a idea cause most of these cooks got teams/helpers like santa. lol
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

With all the changes and tweaks maybe someone will step up and make a kitchen for the Epic..cause I can definitely see a lot of people, mostly who are new to Android be really confused with all this..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Holy crap. I had to Odin my phone back to DI18 this morning in order to exchange it for a new one at the local Sprint store and all this happens! I get my new phone on Thursday. I hope a lot of the confusion is worked out by then. I'm always looking for the newest tech so I'll definitely be going the EXT4/Edify/CW3 route.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development