PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   goodbye yellow brick road (winmo) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149458)

austin420 03-09-2012 12:02 PM

goodbye yellow brick road (winmo)

well, today marks the death blow to winmo6.x(6.1,6.5,6.5.5). well, maybe not quite that serious.

micro soft is shutting down the app store for winmo. i got this email yeaterday, as im sure a lot of you may have. in true winmo fashion, i actually got it 3 time to the same email addy. i see they still dont have it together. lol.
i didnt use this market place much, mostly i got my cabs and tweaks from here and freewarepocketpc.net , but its still a shame to see.
since there is no supported market, and no new development, what may be the fututre of windows mobile? will it just dissapear like the ancients? will it go open source or abandonware?
lets all try hard to not let ppcgeeks suffer the same fate.

moar info

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6...97ef93d6_b.jpg

piscesjoey 03-09-2012 12:08 PM

Yeah I got the same email yesterday, damn it really is the end of the road for WinMo

Sent from my Nexus S 4G Slide (lmao) using Tapatalk

austin420 03-09-2012 12:18 PM

Re: goodbye yellow brick road (winmo)

put it this way, you really have to leave the beaten path to find support for winmo.
one ? though, did you recieve the email 3 times? i feel like theyre spammin me!

Riley 03-09-2012 12:55 PM

I'm a bit surprised they couldn't still keep this up for a while. It's not like Microsoft doesn't have the resources to do so. But I guess they feel it's time to move one completely. It's a shame though but thankfully there are many options available and it's just a matter of deciding what works best for people.

piscesjoey 03-09-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2172230)
put it this way, you really have to leave the beaten path to find support for winmo.
one ? though, did you recieve the email 3 times? i feel like theyre spammin me!

No they only sent it once to me

Sent from my Nexus S 4G Slide (lmao) using Tapatalk

orangekid 03-09-2012 05:34 PM

sad times :(

EyeB 03-09-2012 08:15 PM

hm i thought they were dead last year :S I know they didn't shut it down, but with no new apps being added, I've already downloaded all the cab files I needed and haven't used marketplace since I got the phone...

kind of sad that MS plans to do this while the WP7 isn't exactly making news yet (I know it gets it's ads on news, but isn't same as apple/google). I just can't see how turning away people while not picking up more than lost users is a plan for success :S

demonlordoftheround 03-09-2012 09:06 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

+1 On that. MS went from what, 30% market share down to 1%.

austin420 03-09-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2172275)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

+1 On that. MS went from what, 30% market share down to 1%.

by choice too. thats whats sad.

2 Bunny 03-12-2012 03:03 PM

WINDOWS MOBILE IS STILL EPIC Reply

I got that email too. I don't think it means anything because I don't know anyone who actually used the "Windows Mobile 6 Marketplace" anyway. :tshirt:

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2172283)
by choice too. thats whats sad.

Yup. Microsoft went stupid on us, and now it's time to switch to Android. If Windows 8 is what they're saying it is going to look like, it might be time to switch to Apple Macintosh or Ubuntu or something after Windows 7 becomes obsolete, unless somebody can figure out a way to fix that too. We have quite some time to worry about it seeing how long Windows xp's useful life has been (and continues to be).

- 2B