PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   here comes the Arsenal of WP7 Phones... 5 more here!! with Pics and Info (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=135243)

boredandtattooed 10-13-2010 10:38 AM

Re: here comes the Arsenal of WP7 Phones... 5 more here!! with Pics and Info

yes im more than happy with 5mp..or 8 even on some.... because guess what, ITS A CELL PHONE!!! lol

i have a Canon RebelXS for pictures.. now if that was taking carppy pics, id be upset... but i expct my pphone NOT to take the most professional quality of pics..

the post above is exactly right, untl they start using premium lenses, itll never be to much better, no matter how many MP.. but if they did that, youd expect to pay atleast $100 more per device to offset the cost of the camera hardware..

who knows, maybe they tack on a "cool fee" even to offset the cost of production-nevr know..

just remember you have a cell phone first, a computer second, media center third, ........and a camera dead last...in a cell phone

beefcakeb0 10-14-2010 11:43 PM

Speak for yourselves...I carry the ppc in order to prevent the need to carry a camera to concerts, hunting, or wherever I may need to snap a pic real quick...with my tp2 as long as it ain't moving I feel fairly confident I can get a decent quality picture from my phone.

Hypnotic2010 10-15-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 (Post 1974019)
Speak for yourselves...I carry the ppc in order to prevent the need to carry a camera to concerts, hunting, or wherever I may need to snap a pic real quick...with my tp2 as long as it ain't moving I feel fairly confident I can get a decent quality picture from my phone.

I agree, They do take great still pictures as long as you hold your breath when you snap the pic..lol , but the fact still is that your not going to notice much of a difference between a 5 or 12 megapixel sensor when used for normal sized pictures besides the unnecessary huge file size. There is alot more to a camera besides the sensor, that just doesnt practically fit into a cell phone. If you dont understand this, read up on the subject.

beefcakeb0 10-18-2010 05:59 PM

You have any preferred edumacation locations on the matter?

Hypnotic2010 10-19-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 (Post 1976452)
You have any preferred edumacation locations on the matter?

No matter what it's going to suck compared to a real camera. Real cameras have lenses that are bigger ., and for good reason. Good photos require lots of light, lots of light require good lenses, and you are not going to magically be able to acquire lots of light with such a small lens.

More camera megapixels would be worse, not better

Before, during, and after the introduction of camera phones, many people were hoping/asking/whining for a better camera in their cell phones. One with more megapixels, that is. Unfortunately, more megapixels wouldn't have made the Phone camera better. The extra pixels wouldn't help with anything, in fact, and could even hurt under some circumstances.
Giving the Phone more megapixels won't make it shoot better snapshots any more than buying an expensive car will make you rich. It's the other way around: because real cameras have better lenses, they can get good mileage out of better image sensors. The first problem with a Phone's camera lens is that it can't focus well .The Phone's lens must be able to produce a (reasonably) sharp image regardless of the distance between the phone and the subject, because it can't adjust its focus well. There are two ways to do this: be more liberal in what's accepted as "sharp" and make the lens opening (aperture) smaller.
The Phones cameras takes pictures that are within the sharpness range expected from a 2 megapixel camera, while the aperture is a respectable f/2.8. If they were to use a higher resolution image sensor with the same lens, the pictures wouldn't be any sharper—and 2MP sharpness in a 5MP camera is just not acceptable. The other option would be to reduce the size of the lens opening, but that way, the amount of light that reaches the sensor is reduced and the Phone would have an even harder time taking decent photos under dim lighting.
The other problem is that the more megapixels that are crammed in the same size sensor, the smaller those pixels get. Since individual pixels are gathering less light, many will be "underexposed" and produce a lot more noise (see long explanation and examples.).